Mixing Grass and Hay/Silage

Crazof

Re: Mixing Grass and Hay/Silage

Post by Crazof »

I'm probably the odd man out, but I prefer the FS17 way of feeding cattle, only having to feed one type of food doesn't require much input.
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

I use %70 hay and %30 silage to get %100 TMR
PS4
PS5
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

Like this
HAY
SILAGE
PS4
PS5
arch33

Post by arch33 »

Here's my 2 cents. (console player)
I use 30% straw/ 25% silage and 45% hay, and it is the cheapest way that i found to make TMR. I have a Hay/Straw barn and 1 trailer load of silage (59k that i dump on the ground beside the barn) setup right next to cow pasture. I can take Strauthmann and pick up 25 % of silage then i roll under the barn to load hay till at or over 70% then top of with straw.

Getting hay is easy : I use my forage harvester with the grass header pulling a rando sugarcrane trailer. I dump it in a line by my barns then drive over it with a tedder and then collect with my forage trailer and put it in the barn. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to fill my barn with hay.
niggle44

Post by niggle44 »

adding some straw does reduce the "cost" to a degree in that you use less hay and silage, both of which take longer and cost more to poroduce (mowing/tending/raking/baling - compacting in the silo etc.
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

Ok. Stupid question I've never known the answer to - even in FS17 lol.

If I feed TMR, do I need to feed the grass and Hay/Silage as well for maximum productivity?

I always have done for the sake of doing so to keep the bars full, but without knowing if it takes off some of the productivity...
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

In fs19 you get 100% productivity with tmr, then there is no need for either grass or hay/silage. I can't remember if it was like this in fs17.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

I think on fs17 it made a difference, but on 19 TMR will give you 100% on its own.

If you fill the others the cows will only eat it when there is no TMR left.
kintino

Post by kintino »

I was surprised when I got 100% TMR just with silage and hay that optimizes the process but the cows consume more and the selling price of the milk is horrible. In FS17, it obtained higher milk yield by feeding the animals with silage and grass.

I am making silage from the wheat, I know it yields less than the corn and the grass, but after harvesting the corn I have to plow the land and I can not plant more areas of grass.

I'm writing down the costs and I'll buy them with the corn costs later.