Lone Oak for FS19 rip off

blue_painted

Lone Oak for FS19 rip off

Post by blue_painted »

BulletBill has posted on his FB page that there is a Lone Oak FS19 rip off going around - the FB page has all the details.

There is some discussion as to whether this rip-off is a breach of copyright, whether copyright can be enforced on something provided for free and whether copyright is applicable in certain countries: What I know for sure is that it would waste a lot of time and money with lawyers to be sure.

What I also know is that legalities really aren't the issue here: It's about respect. It's about recognising that BB, and Frontier Design, have given a lot to the FS community and they all deserve much better treatment than this.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
BreadedVirus

Re: Lone Oak for FS19 rip off

Post by BreadedVirus »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43 pm BulletBill has posted on his FB page that there is a Lone Oak FS19 rip off going around - the FB page has all the details.

There is some discussion as to whether this rip-off is a breach of copyright, whether copyright can be enforced on something provided for free and whether copyright is applicable in certain countries: What I know for sure is that it would waste a lot of time and money with lawyers to be sure.

What I also know is that legalities really aren't the issue here: It's about respect. It's about recognising that BB, and Frontier Design, have given a lot to the FS community and they all deserve much better treatment than this.
Apparently respect for modders work has gone out the window. I saw on FB that another modder has stopped mods for FS due to his work being stolen by others and uploaded to the MODHUB.

This is going to kill the game with respect to mods being released.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

This has always been a problem. There is a fundamental lack of respect amongst people now that is frightening.
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Yeah, its gotten way outta hand, i known some people who got their mods stolen because they made some changes to it and claimed it as their own. If i make changes, ill ask the mod creator if its ok to release it.
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

Giant's need's to once a mod is tested and passed it get's locked so change file's to read only so people aren't able to make any change's. And only the creature has a spare copy to the file's if needed to make changes and what have you.
Then if you don't want to use the Giant's site then you know the risks that that has.
PS4
PS5
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

I hate to say it and maybe it would mean less mods, but I feel like Giants needs to stop letting people put mods anywhere but the modhub. I'm sure it would cause backlash, but it seems to be the only option.
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway
billy_roberts_81

Post by billy_roberts_81 »

I feel sorry for BulletBill and the ones involved with making Lone Oak.

The abuse he's getting for sticking up for his rights is crazy.

Some people would rather have a rubbish convert of a map and disrespect the original author, as well as breach his creative copyright, than wait for the official version that Oxygendavid is building.

Would be nice if a member of GIANTS legal team could clarify this sort of issue.

At least then we would have a source to quote for everyone then.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Addictedtofs wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am I hate to say it and maybe it would mean less mods, but I feel like Giants needs to stop letting people put mods anywhere but the modhub. I'm sure it would cause backlash, but it seems to be the only option.
It would definitely mean fewer mods and the game would likely slowly die - Giants don't have the resources to test all mods to the criteria set for the modhub and a lot of modders wouldn't be willing to jump through the necessary hoops for every mod. The onus has to be on users to not support this 'theft' by downloading and using these mods.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

Addictedtofs wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am I hate to say it and maybe it would mean less mods, but I feel like Giants needs to stop letting people put mods anywhere but the modhub. I'm sure it would cause backlash, but it seems to be the only option.
And watch game sales fall through the roof.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Impossible. You need a local copy of a mod while you're developing it and if you've got a local copy then there's nothing to stop you from sharing it with others.
Sir_Kutz

Post by Sir_Kutz »

Giant's should do something. I don't know exactly what the right answer would be. However it's all this drama and infighting that make it really hard for me to enjoy the game. I don't what to be part of a community that acts like jackals.
wiseguy49

Post by wiseguy49 »

I’m very conflicted on this bc I don’t think it’s right to release this mod like this without permission and not to mention the person who converted it did a horrible job.

But I’m just so tired of BulletBill and his holyer than thou attitude. He acts like a child and loves to rub things in your face that you don’t have. So for those of you still supporting this guy, look at the post on Facebook when he was asked about map making. He responded saying he hates 19 and he’s only making 17 maps for his friends. So for all of you giving him good comments because you think you’ll have another map from him, think again. And tell him what you really think.
aklein

Post by aklein »

I feel very strongly on the respect the modder concept. And along that aspect we must remember that respect does not equal agreeing. One does not have to agree with the modders personal views on things to respect their creative work and skills. I agree and disagree with some aspects of the FS19 dislikers out there but overall feel that 19 is a step forward in most respects.

What we can do as players is to NOT download obvious fakes and rehosts. I would dare say that anyone that knows the name Bullet Bill or OxygenDavid or Frontier Designs knows they would not upload one of their maps to somewhere other than the Giants mod hub. They are supporters of console players and as such would not upload to a different host as that guarantees console players can not play on the map until it shows up here in the Giants mod hub. So when those of us who know better see such a map out in the wild is it our duty to do one of two things. 1) report it to the proper individual of a likely unauthorized creation and 2) do our best to inform the unaware to the issue and guide them to the correct source for the mod.

I recall being a new player and not knowing any better and downloading mods from websites all over the place. Many of those mods posted by the likes of Thomas, Dyna123 or John Der33. You guys know these bots and what sites they post to. Then I learned from fellow players and from folks I watched on Youtube and realized what was going on and put a stop to those ways. Instead hunting down the source of the mod. Downloading only mods I can trace back to where the mod author uploaded. Sure I miss out on some interesting looking things but condoning such behavior by downloading the mod at no regard to where it came from just perpetuates the behavior.

Respect the moder extends to downloading from the source the mod author placed the mod. This means putting personal views aside. Many do not like uploaded or sharemods. I do not have much like in uploaded myself due to the slow throttled download speeds you get and their desire to encourage folks to pay to play so to speak with faster downloads. But I get around this by downloading big things at night or in the morning so when i get up or get home from work they are done. Once again choosing to download a mod from a rehoster just because it does not use uploaded when the mod author themselves used uploaded is once again perpetuating the problem of rehosting.

Ill close with this concept. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." In other words don't bite or nip at mod authors who clearly are feeding our enjoyment of the game or we might find ourselves starving and no one caring about it.
Eggski

Post by Eggski »

wiseguy49 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:11 pm I’m very conflicted on this bc I don’t think it’s right to release this mod like this without permission and not to mention the person who converted it did a horrible job.

But I’m just so tired of BulletBill and his holyer than thou attitude. He acts like a child and loves to rub things in your face that you don’t have. So for those of you still supporting this guy, look at the post on Facebook when he was asked about map making. He responded saying he hates 19 and he’s only making 17 maps for his friends. So for all of you giving him good comments because you think you’ll have another map from him, think again. And tell him what you really think.
Thats a pi** poor attitude to have in my opinion, and yes everyone will have one BUT out of sheer respect for the work put into these maps FOR FREE you should support these modders.

I'm not a friend of BBs but I am a respectful supporter, if he decides to only do fs17 maps then so be it, just because he doesnt like some aspects of fs19 doesnt mean people should give him or his modding mates ****.

Hes already given permission for some of his maps to be converted by trusted friends and the community should respect that.

Whether I get to play another of BBs creations like the hundreds of hours played on fs17 is up to him on whether he releases another and I hope he does, what he and the others did for fs17 was amazing and much more than Giants could do alone.
Farming the proper way, on PC.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

According to Giants' User Generated Content Terms and Conditions, any mod made for the game is basically the property of Giants since the modder is using Giants Editor and the game itself to create the mod. Furthermore, modders are not allowed to monetize their creations (other than what they might get from Giants' official modhub) so there's really nothing gained or lost from someone posting a ripped-off mod to another website. The ripper-offer has violated the T&C of Giants and should not be allowed to publish mods on the official site. I don't think Giants has the resources or really cares about trying to shut down every single non-official download site.

In a nutshell, only download stuff from the official Giants modhub if you want to be as sure as possible you're not using ripped-off work.

What I found on a legal firms website on modding "The easiest way to think about how game mods fit into the copyright scene is to think about an art gallery. Creating a game mod is similar to going into an art gallery, pulling a painting off the wall, and putting a painting inside of the painting. You own what you created but your creation is infringing on the original artist’s copyright to do it unless they’ve given you the right to do it." So basically BulletBill can get pi** because someone is posting his maps (I would be too and I wouldn't be downloading a pirated copy if I was playing on PC out of respect to the finest map creator for this series) but he isn't suffering any "losses" (legally speaking) in this case.

Am I way off here? Probably. Flame suit on.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!