What Works For Me

Kirkland

What Works For Me

Post by Kirkland » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:20 pm

New to this forum...go easy on me.

I bought FS19 about three months ago with zero prior knowledge of the game. I was looking for (hoping for) a big, Midwest American (Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas) experience. Ravenport taught me a lot of things and I enjoyed every minute of it but wished it was "bigger".

Dahl Ranch is exactly what I was looking for. I have no interest in towns and trains at all. I want big fields (100+ acres), a place to sell grain and buy equipment and very, very little else. When that map came out I had learned enough lessons from Ravenport that I was ready to roll with how I want to play the game.

I grow corn, soybeans, and hay. I turn growth off while planting then turn it back on for a single growth stage once a week to stretch out the "season". I also stagger the growth stages so that my beans will be ready for harvest before the corn. I cheated with the Government Subsidy so I could own all the fields. Again, I want to farm big. I use hard economy and I play on real time. I use a PS4.

I've done the same with with the Welker map and consider it as an extension of my farm. I call it "going up to the Welker farm". I use the exact equipment on both farms. This gives me over 1,000 acres. When the MN Millennial map comes out I'll "buy" it and add more acres. Again, same equipment, same crops. I'm a hardcore record keeper on expenses, seeds used, fertilizer, yields, etc...

I'm not bothered by inflated yields, available equipment brands, liters, and what not. It is what it is. I use John Deere as much as possible but don't get upset when I can't.

I will offer this, however. The maintenance requirements and rate of vehicle/equipment deterioration gets to me. It is the ONLY criticism I have and the only thing I would ask Giants to change in any future updates. Please give an option of turning repair costs off. I would not mind doing repairs occasionally but when I have to "repair" my planter five times at a cost of $3,633 in the course of 280.50 acres I do get annoyed. It is the only part of the game I don't like. Please consider it.

I understand the concept of a harvest cycle being only two days, therefore, your repairs reflect a years worth of wear and tear in two days. However, 280 acres isn't a years worth of repairs. By the time I had cultivated the entire Dahl map my cultivator was useless - zero value. 30 acres would run it down to 0% efficiency.

Other than that I love the game and appreciate the incredible work that has gone into it and the improvements and mods that are being made.
Here's hoping for another big Midwest map to add more acres to my farm.

BlackEchelon

Re: What Works For Me

Post by BlackEchelon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 pm

I agree with you totally. The rate of decay on equipment is WAY too fast. A simple option to turn it off would be great!
BlackEchelon

XBOX One Player

chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm

You can turn off dirt, and no more equipment wear and need for repair. You may have said this, I might have missed it.
Currently Playing: Marwell Manor Farm, 320+ hours
Osina, 10+ hours
Favorite Mod: Fortschritt E303

Modders are awesome. Thank you for your contributions.

John Deere fan since 1977.

Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 pm

chedly_farms wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm
You can turn off dirt, and no more equipment wear and need for repair. You may have said this, I might have missed it.
They fixed that in a patch I thought? It should be that turning off dirt switches maintenance to the lowest level now.

chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:09 pm

^heck, I don't know. I can't keep up with what's in what patch anymore. Once they fixed tractor sounds I was good, lol.
Currently Playing: Marwell Manor Farm, 320+ hours
Osina, 10+ hours
Favorite Mod: Fortschritt E303

Modders are awesome. Thank you for your contributions.

John Deere fan since 1977.

dapals51

Post by dapals51 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 pm

You pretty much summed up my feeling about 19. Dahl is a great map for me and with the 8r and 9r mods out I feel I can farm like I want. The maintenance could use some adjustments wish you could just shut it off.
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA