Stolen mods in mod contest

redglasses

Re: Stolen mods in mod contest

Post by redglasses »

Victor997 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:14 am There is a reason why there are not many good American mods, Giants made the game for Europeans, they cater to European mods and maps and they will not reward you for uploading a mod unless you live in Europe with a European bank account. Not trying to make an issue out of it just wanted to verify the statement made previously.
Europeans can make American mods and maps as well you know.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Shuffy

Post by Shuffy »

unimog never even worked for me
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Victor997 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:14 am There is a reason why there are not many good American mods, Giants made the game for Europeans, they cater to European mods and maps and they will not reward you for uploading a mod unless you live in Europe with a European bank account. Not trying to make an issue out of it just wanted to verify the statement made previously.
That's not the reason there are few American mods. The low level of reward money involved (low double-figures for most mods) means it's barely even measurable to most. Many mods would struggle to make enough for a round of drinks. Certainly not enough to persuade more to start modding.

That's even less of an issue for the subject of this thread anyway as there's only two categories which have any monetary rewards - the Swiss Future Farming map and Youngtimer awards - the others are physical prizes which I assume GIANTS would ship globally anyway.

There are few American mods because, put simply, there are very few American modders. The modding community has always evolved around the European player base going all the way back to the start when much of the modding info was in German. Remember up until FS17 you needed a PC to even install mods, and many of those started modding themselves because of that - most modders stem from around the FS13 era, when the playerbase was almost dominated by Europeans.

The number of new modders coming in now and releasing work publicly seems to be few and far between, often because of issues like those this thread is about (the complete lack of respect for other people's work).

redglasses wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:15 am Europeans can make American mods and maps as well you know.
True, but most will understandably concentrate on making mods based on or influenced by what's around them, be it equipment or maps. There's little incentive for modders to make something they're not interested in.

Obviously there are a few exceptions to that, but they are fairly rare in the grand scheme of things; a couple of Frontier Design and BSM maps spring quickly to mind, but even Lone Oak only came about because of BulletBills association with another (American) modder.
theMavric

Post by theMavric »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:55 am The number of new modders coming in now and releasing work publicly seems to be few and far between, often because of issues like those this thread is about (the complete lack of respect for other people's work).
That and the fact that modding in this game is quite difficult to grasp and very poorly documented. GDN documentation seemed to fall off at FS17 and is bland at best. Even YouTube videos on map making, which would seem to be the easiest to learn to do, is just showing them building a map and not actually taking the time to explain anything. That's why most FS19 mods you see nowadays are just conversions of FS17 mods.

If Giants would invest some time into creating some viable documentation I would be all over it. I love being creative with games I love and I've done it with countless games. But the learning curve here is quite dramatic.
Missouri-born, Tennessee-raised, Texas-lost
Maikello

Post by Maikello »

Shuffy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:24 am unimog never even worked for me
IceUul wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:40 am Anybody know the list of mods what were removed?

So far i am aware of these:
The Unimog - had bugs and really bad looks.
Fiat 80 - no idea why, but did not look good either.
CanFarm map - about the stolen prefab!

And i still do not get why you need the European bank account, you can use paypal or international bank transfer, losing some money with conversion and transfer fees, not much.
Reason why Unimog disappeared from ModContest viewtopic.php?f=966&t=148969&p=1157027#p1157027
Guil

Post by Guil »

The name is not the reason it was removed.
Victor997

Post by Victor997 »

Completely agree that no is making anything off of the mods they upload, I would be surprised if even the best maps make anywhere close enough to buy a new PC. Also the FS series is dominated by Europeans because that's who the game is targeted at. There have to be over 300 Facebook groups releasing American mods everyday so I would not say there are no American mods.
wiseguy49

Post by wiseguy49 »

donaldpott wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 am Well I for one think its right they did this to him as he has a bad habbit of crying foul when someone don't give him credit for his mods, Turnabout is fair play.
I won’t quote the entire post but I agree 100 percent with everything you said.

At this point I think his only regrets are not getting a new PC funded by the community for future mods a la what happened with his “friend.”
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

wiseguy49 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:17 pm
donaldpott wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 am Well I for one think its right they did this to him as he has a bad habbit of crying foul when someone don't give him credit for his mods, Turnabout is fair play.

At this point I think his only regrets are not getting a new PC funded by the community for future mods a la what happened with his “friend.”
If you are referring to BulletBill, I'm going to point out again that my donation wasn't for future mods but thanks for past mods ... as were most (all?) people's donations.

And why is it a bad habit to "cry foul" if someone doesn't give you credit for using your mod?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Sir_Kutz

Post by Sir_Kutz »

blue_painted wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm

If you are referring to BulletBill, I'm going to point out again that my donation wasn't for future mods but thanks for past mods ... as were most (all?) people's donations.

And why is it a bad habit to "cry foul" if someone doesn't give you credit for using your mod?
I believe the "crying foul" is when it's brought to the end user. When complaints about another modder goes to the general community and not just the modding community it comes across as crying.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Sir_Kutz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 pm I believe the "crying foul" is when it's brought to the end user. When complaints about another modder goes to the general community and not just the modding community it comes across as crying.
Ah, I get it. I don't know the details of the case but it seems reasonable that it should be "modder to modder" first but then, if there's no satisfactory answer, maybe taking it tot he user community is the only option.

Or have I misunderstood?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
billy_roberts_81

Post by billy_roberts_81 »

For goodness sake what is wrong you? You keep bringing this up over and over?

Firstly I bet you never donated any money to BB, so there is no loss to you personally. The others who did, did so as thank you for what he had already done, plus the crowd fund was done by others not BB himself.

Having a look through your posts on this forum, you have nothing nice to say about anyone or anything. Same on FS-UK forum.

You are nothing more than a pathetic little troll who hates anyone who manages to do something better than you.

Everytime you bring this sort of thing up it just makes you look more pathetic and stupid.

And finally you couldn't even manage to keep on topic as this thread is about Seriousmods and a disgreement between another modder, who has had no issue with dozens of other mappers using his map object until now.

Yes that is his right, but it still seems very petty to only bring it up now. Things could have been sorted much more amicably.

But these days it seems the norm to attack first and ask questions later in the community.
Way2drunk2walk

Post by Way2drunk2walk »

But these days it seems the norm to attack first and ask questions later in the community
Unfortunately not just happening in this community, but every where. Too many spoiled entitled children these days that don't understand respect.
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC
donaldpott

Post by donaldpott »

I was talking about seriousmods not bulletbill.