8n Lawncare Name [question] *Update*

Walrusman02

8n Lawncare Name [question] *Update*

Post by Walrusman02 »

So i do lawncare, and this year for my senior research project (and since im turning 18 i have to pay taxes on income from lawncare, in VA you dont have to pay taxes on that untill your an adult) im gonna go official, getting a business license, branding, and such. I use an old ‘52 Ford 8n for bushogging, and this is what sets me apart from other companies in the area (older customers love it). Since this is such a staple of my startup, i was curious about naming my company “8n Lawncare & Bush Hogging”. I am concerned about potential, idk, copyright (is that the right word?) with the 8n issue. Feel free to comment and give thoughts! Thanks!
Last edited by Walrusman02 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
Deadeye

Re: 8n Lawncare Name [question]

Post by Deadeye »

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm by no means an expert or even close on this. My way of thinking though, who gives a damn about the 8n in your company name. You could've been talking about any number of things there. I've seen it before. I also don't even know that it would be an issue considering Ford is out of the tractor business. Again, just my thinking.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Walrusman02

Post by Walrusman02 »

alright thanks bud
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

What if you decide to stay in the business after (God forbid) you buy a new tractor? Not that that Ford will ever wear out... But you might want a front loader, live PTO, and MFWD in the future. Shoot, I would imagine you could get a TON of work just doing small tractor things. Driveway scraping, stump removal, garden tillage, etc... Now I want a compact tractor...

Also just from a marketing standpoint, a lot of your potential customers are not going to know what you mean by 8n in your company name. I think a nice logo with the tractor (or artistic rendering of tractor) with the bushhog with some weedeaters or something would perhaps go over better. :hmm: As far as legal ramifications, I doubt it would ever be an issue but when in doubt, ere on the side of caution. Never put yourself in a position for potential copyright infringement. It would harm your business having to change the name in the future.

In all, good luck to you. I'm not all that much older than you but it does my heart good to hear of a teenager with a work ethic building a small business. And bonus points for keeping the old girl working. My grandpa has two 8Ns that he restored and he won't let me get the tires dirty. :lol:
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Walrusman02

Re: 8n Lawncare Name [question] *Update*

Post by Walrusman02 »

Have decided on a new name, am speaking to the zoning board in my county today to pay a zoning fee (more red tape?) and then to the county clerk to get my DBA (doing business as) to get my name approved. Sure it's not as simple as it sounds, and maybe a few more steps idk about yet lol. Will wait until Jan 1st to get business license so it will be a new tax year. Thank y'all for your guidance away from the 8n name lol, I would have most definitely regretted it in all likelihood
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
GothicKing13

Re: 8n Lawncare Name [question] *Update*

Post by GothicKing13 »

Best of luck to you, friend. Hope all goes well and works out for you!
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.