Automatic Combine Auger Swing Out

Am I crazy or is this actually a problem and it’s really frustrating?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:15 pm

You’re crazy.
68%
Nope, this is a good idea.
32%

Total votes: 28

Steigator

Automatic Combine Auger Swing Out

Post by Steigator »

Not sure how to get this to giants softwares attention but I’d like to suggest that they alter the coding of a combine so that when the combine reaches 80% capacity, the auger automatically swings out. A lot of people run to many tools at once to just sit in a grain cart and wait to unload the combine. It’s frustrating when you get the cart to the combine before the combine is full, but have to wait on the combine to swing out it’s auger and in turn the combine fills up and stops. Normally on our farm, the combine just stays out, but I think Giants should put something in the program for an automatic swing out. Anyone who knows where I can drop this so it can get more attention, let me know. Was struggling to find an idea forum.

Edit don_apple: topic moved to FS19 section.
DirectCedar

Re: Automatic Combine Auger Swing Out

Post by DirectCedar »

You're timing it within 2s of being full? You know that the auger swings out automatically as soon as you pull under yes?

Likewise if you pull away after unloading from a stopped combine for 10s (or any amount of time) the combine will start up again. You could then just pull under again and get the rest if unloading on the go as much as possible was critical to your mental health.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and state that there is exactly a 0% chance of GIANTS noticing or caring about or implementing any suggested changes in FS17 at this point in history.
Steigator

Post by Steigator »

You’re absolutely right DirectCedar. Those are two solutions and furthermore you are right about them not caring about fs17 anymore. My issue is that the same problem appears in FS19 and I struggled to find the FS19 forum which is my own problem. That doesn’t leave out the fact though that it’s still annoying when I have to resort to something that wouldn’t be a second thought in the real world. If I forgot to swing out our auger in real life, I’d have two different relatives screaming to pull me from the combine. If you have any advice for me to move this discussion, please direct me to the right area.
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

One of the earlier versions did exactly that, the auger came out when 80% full. Really miss rhat in 19
crash

Post by crash »

Combine add on in fs17 had some features that was nice

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... d_id=70368
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
garyst

Post by garyst »

Only bad thing about this is if the combine reaches 80% when it is on a pass on the edge of a field next to some trees or something with the unloading Auger side towards the trees it could hit one and make the combine turn or get caught up the tree.
Steigator

Post by Steigator »

Garyst,

I always do two swaths around my fields that way I don’t have to worry about the cpu hitting anything thus he would never catch the auger on anything.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

As garyst says above, it would be fine for nice open maps, but not so good when the combine is travelling down the edge of a field lined with trees or other obstacles. Not everyone makes headlands, especially not on GIANTS-style maps.

It's not something I wouldn't want personally though. I'm not impatient enough to grumble at waiting the 2-3 seconds for the auger to swing out.
Steigator

Post by Steigator »

I'm not saying it's a must where it has to be this way but I think it would be a great toggle option. It's one of those thing that can make the game more realistic. Also, every farmer in real life cuts the end rows. It makes everything about harvesting easier. I understand not everyone doesn't want to do that and that's why I suggest a it as a toggle function. From my experience, opening up a field makes it easier to harvest and I no longer have to worry about the CPU running into said trees.

And it's not the waiting on the swing out time that bothers me. It's the fact that I have, on multiple occasions, been that three seconds too late and the combine stops. I guess I mentioned being frustrated earlier and that's probably the wrong word. I'd say I just see potential for it to be a great option.
DeereJason

Post by DeereJason »

I think it's fine just the way it is.

There was a bigger problem on FS17 and I cant remember if it is this way on FS19...the conveyor on either (or both) the pull type beet and potato diggers closes once the wagon is full....thus catching on the wagon itself.

Regarding combining on edges of fields near obstructions...this is where real life experience helps. We always go around the field with the auger facing the field on the first go-around. This is because when making turns on the corners along a tree line, the auger will hit even though it is not out
Steigator

Post by Steigator »

I’m going to have to disagree with drmattymd. Most farmers cut the end rows because having space at the end in a field to turn is a waste of tillable ground. I’m not saying they don’t exist, it’s just not close to what the standard is. When I buy fields in FS19, the first thing I do is expand them to the road because it’s profitable to add the acres to the field. It also makes the field more realistic. Having space around the field serves no purpose.
Steigator

Post by Steigator »

Easy there Matty. No reason to get all pi**. You’re getting mad online at someone you’ll never meet on a topic that is stupid to get mad about. That being sad, I’d stand by what I said that most/ if not all do. I’ve never seen it done before and would love for you to point me in the direction of a real scenario where they don’t have point rows.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Guys, calm down. You can never say that is the only way it is done.
Steigator

Post by Steigator »

No worries here Guil, I couldn’t be more calm. As for it being the only way, that’s why I asked him to point me in that direction. I’ve never seen any other way done and while that doesn’t guarantee there isn’t another way, I believe I have enough experience in agriculture that would allow me to say highly unlikely. I would love for anyone who has seen harvesting without cutting the end rows first to show me as I am very curious as to why.
garyst

Post by garyst »

Where I am from almost all the farmers plant with 3pt. Mounted planters and alot of them don't plant end rows they will just leave about 15 to 20 feet to turn around, but when harvesting they will always have to cut at least one pass on each end of the field to have enough room to turn the combine around.