Forage question

Bartalos1

Forage question

Post by Bartalos1 »

Hello fellow farmers .

As because I dont have any real experience and knowledge of this I would like to ask you following :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmhKxbWGwco

When does one need pickup header on forage harvester and when is better just to use forage wagon ?
Do they use to pick up grass/hay using forage harvester because regular trailers are cheaper than forage wagons ?

Thank you :)
Trying to play realistically fs19
Kamoore65536

Re: Forage question

Post by Kamoore65536 »

Since they were picking up grass/haylage in the video they were using a pickup header. When you harvest corn/maize as silage they use a different style header so they can cut the corn/maize stalk. So which one you use depends on the crop you are harvesting. There is also a header that has it's own mower blade to cut the grass and chop it for grasslage/haylage.
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
Dixie Farmer

Post by Dixie Farmer »

As far as I know, also not being an actual farmer is that in real life, the benefit of using a forage harvester instead of a forage wagon is that the grass gets chopped up much smaller and the end result is better silage or haylage.

In game, it’s much easier and cheaper to use a forage wagon and still get the same result.
Bartalos1

Post by Bartalos1 »

Thank you guys
Guil

Post by Guil »

I learned recently too that forage harvesters spray an additive into the grass to make better silage.
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

IRL there are also forage wagons which can chop grass into smaller pieces and spray additives on it.

So the decision if a forage wagon or a forage harvester is used mostly depends on the amount of grass that has to be collected. For larger amounts a forage harvester with a couple of tractors+trailers is much more efficient, since the forage harvester can run (almost) continuosly.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
Guil

Post by Guil »

I was referring to real life above too lol.
NCFarmer3842

Post by NCFarmer3842 »

In the US the forage wagons are pretty much a rarity, I have never personally seen one. We have always used pull type harvesters for corn and small grains. But it really comes down to cost and performance. We got our NH 892 for 6k, compared to even a older self propelled harvester we were looking at spending around 20k for a decent machine. Having used pull types and have the luxury of having a friend who runs a new Deere 9600 I can tell you the difference is night and day. The speed, efficiency, ease of operation, cold A/C, and final product from the 9600 is light years ahead of the pull types and I would also assume most forage wagons. Just my 2 cents.
Playing on Xbox X in North Carolina
crash

Post by crash »

A forage harvester has more knifes, and an essential component that the wagons do t have, a Kernel cracker. Cows don't prosess hole corn kernels, and the stem is to woody, so there are two drums that run with a slight gap that crushes those hard materials in corn. Just doing grass/whole seed silage from barley/Oats etc is fine with a wagon. It's av fair bit cheaper too..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
crash

Post by crash »

Using a harvester takes a fair bit of trucks/trailers/people on the pit, and th ev capasaty is on another level compared to running 1-2 pickup wagons..

Nice yt channel, 1500cows, 3500acres and some 40+tracors.. 😂
https://youtu.be/h9e9feu0WnE
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
gingeredscot73

Post by gingeredscot73 »

I believe the additive starts the fermentations process by activating the sugars in the grass giving the crop a head start. So basically the fermentations has already begun before the crop has been put in a bunker buck raked and compacted and blanketed over. In the UK we call bunkers clamps. I dont know why. I have always called them bunkers. I said grass basically because we dont grow corn here or as we call it here maize for making silage. Farmers use grass. I believe corn is heavily used for silage production in the US. Can alfalfa be used for silage? I understand it can be dried like hay. Is it not like a type of grass?
Last edited by gingeredscot73 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Clamp (klæmp) agriculture
n
1. (Agriculture) a mound formed out of a harvested root crop, covered with straw and earth to protect it from winter weather
2. (Agriculture) a pile of bricks ready for processing in a furnace
vb
(Agriculture) (tr) to enclose (a harvested root crop) in a mound
[C16: from Middle Dutch klamp heap; related to clump]
gingeredscot73

Post by gingeredscot73 »

Ok
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

I had to look it up, I didn't know either btw. :lol:

I figured it derived from another word/language though as these things often do.
NCFarmer3842

Post by NCFarmer3842 »

gingeredscot73 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:01 pm I believe the additive starts the fermentations process by activating the sugars in the grass giving the crop a head start. So basically the fermentations has already begun before the crop has been put in a bunker buck raked and compacted and blanketed over. In the UK we call bunkers clamps. I dont know why. I have always called them bunkers. I said grass basically because we dont grow corn here or as we call it here maize for making silage. Farmers use grass. I believe corn is heavily used for silage production in the US. Can alfalfa be used for silage? I understand it can be dried like hay. Is it not like a type of grass?
Alfalfa makes some pretty good silage in my opinion, I know the dairy guys love it, but we usually plant rye after we cut corn and cut it in the spring so we have a continuous supply of silage.
Playing on Xbox X in North Carolina