Starting your farm...

Electsilver8

Starting your farm...

Post by Electsilver8 »

I'm needing some ideas on starting up farms. So far I've had 2 routine in starting up my farm, take out a loan to buy a field and then I'll leave some equipment and starting farming. Eventually I will add a couple of solar panels to generate income and I'll slowly start to buy equipment, shed a, a house, etc..., but it's getting boring. How do you guys start up your farm?
FarmBoss

Re: Starting your farm...

Post by FarmBoss »

Are you taking care of cows and pigs? They add a lot of different options if you're getting tired of only doing fields.
Cows and pigs produce manure, which can be used for greenhouses. Greenhouses are a good money maker.
Working grass fields is good too since there's lots you can do with them.
If you're on PC, you could find the mod that allows multiple simultaneous contracts, and try just running a contracting business from the ground up.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I've only ever started on "new farmer" mode as the grind gets a little too grindy for me. I decide what kind of farm I'm wanting to run; arable crops, animals, hay & silage, whatever... and go from there. I don't like doing the same thing on every map. Currently on Pacific NW, I'm running a 100% arable crop farm rotating oat>soybeans>corn>cotton. My next map might be 100% animals. My next map might be root crops.

When the game gets boring I move on to another map or another game entirely.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
wombles

Post by wombles »

I have to agree with Farm Boss, I alway's have green houses on my maps, when I can afford them. I love attending to my green houses both virtually and in reality. :biggrin2:
crash

Post by crash »

I end up selling everything, buy what i want, lease some stuff a couple of cycles etc.. It would need to be a tiny map for me to stay on starting eqipment :lol:
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
Electsilver8

Post by Electsilver8 »

Yeah I'm on pc and do have multiple contracts mod. I actually forgot about the greenhouses, may give the a look. As far as animals go, I usually do horses, cows, and sheep, although I have done sheep much lately, just horses and cows. Never done pigs, dont interest me, I might give the greenhouses a chance though.
wombles

Post by wombles »

Electsilver8 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 pm Yeah I'm on pc and do have multiple contracts mod. I actually forgot about the greenhouses, may give the a look. As far as animals go, I usually do horses, cows, and sheep, although I have done sheep much lately, just horses and cows. Never done pigs, dont interest me, I might give the greenhouses a chance though.
If you ever do take a notion to do pigs, remember one thing to make it worth while you need to have over 200, never drop below that.
Electsilver8

Post by Electsilver8 »

wombles wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:28 pm
Electsilver8 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 pm Yeah I'm on pc and do have multiple contracts mod. I actually forgot about the greenhouses, may give the a look. As far as animals go, I usually do horses, cows, and sheep, although I have done sheep much lately, just horses and cows. Never done pigs, dont interest me, I might give the greenhouses a chance though.
If you ever do take a notion to do pigs, remember one thing to make it worth while you need to have over 200, never drop below that.

I'll keep that in mind. I like doing cows, but they eat alot. It takes so much to feed them, but it does keep me busy tho.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

Oh dear! I've just started a Seasons savegame doing pigs on Oakfield. I currently have a few small fields to grow their food and 27 pigs. I guess my farm is doomed to failure! :frown:
cvKurt

Post by cvKurt »

I try to start each savegame differently... a different map, different storyline (I role play), different equipment, etc. For instance, if currently on a Polish map (Starowies with Seasons), so I'm primarily playing with Polish kit... starting small and broke... and working a few cows, pigs, and chickens)... and contracts to pay the bills and lease equipment as needed.
wombles

Post by wombles »

BoxTunnel wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:46 pm
Oh dear! I've just started a Seasons savegame doing pigs on Oakfield. I currently have a few small fields to grow their food and 27 pigs. I guess my farm is doomed to failure! :frown:
You have to start some where :lol: . You pick a good map to do pigs Box Tunnel.
wombles

Post by wombles »

Electsilver8 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:33 pm

I'll keep that in mind. I like doing cows, but they eat alot. It takes so much to feed them, but it does keep me busy tho.
If your on PC seasons reduces their food intake, making it much more enjoyable.
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

Electsilver8 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:49 pm I'm needing some ideas on starting up farms. So far I've had 2 routine in starting up my farm, take out a loan to buy a field and then I'll leave some equipment and starting farming. Eventually I will add a couple of solar panels to generate income and I'll slowly start to buy equipment, shed a, a house, etc..., but it's getting boring. How do you guys start up your farm?
That is quite boring yeah. Because that is damn passive style to play.

Do this instead. Buy the field and plant the grass. Harvest that grass with your favorite tractor and store it somehwere. Buy the animal pen of your choice and get some animals. Buy more lands for more grass. Sleep in the tractor.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Gift yourself some money so you’re starting with a reasonable size farm with some useful equipment but leaving yourself room to grow and have better equipment still to upgrade to so there’s still purpose to it. I enjoy the farming and making a map my own but grinding a farm from scratch once per FS edition is enough for me. If you want to keep a level of realism ‘retire’ a map that you’ve played from scratch by selling everything and starting a new map with that amount of money.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:00 pm If you want to keep a level of realism ‘retire’ a map that you’ve played from scratch by selling everything and starting a new map with that amount of money.
I like that idea! *thumbsup*