Seasons Mod: Length of Seasons Purpose?

Farmie2018

Seasons Mod: Length of Seasons Purpose?

Post by Farmie2018 »

Seasons Mod Users,

What is the intended use/benefit of extending seasons beyond 3 days? In my current game I just started I thought doing 9-day seasons would be more realistic but so far its just a lot of waiting around and fast-forwarding, since I prefer to play in realtime.

I suppose the larger ones farm gets the more valuable a longer season can be.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

F.
Sandhill

Re: Seasons Mod: Length of Seasons Purpose?

Post by Sandhill »

As you have noticed, it affects the pace of the game. Otherwise I think not much difference.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Farmie2018 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:38 pm Seasons Mod Users,

What is the intended use/benefit of extending seasons beyond 3 days? In my current game I just started I thought doing 9-day seasons would be more realistic but so far its just a lot of waiting around and fast-forwarding, since I prefer to play in realtime.

I suppose the larger ones farm gets the more valuable a longer season can be.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

F.
Changing season length and timescale are basically just your two tools for setting your personal time limit to get all your work done.

The one specifically more challenging thing I've noticed with 3-day vs longer length is that, when playing a GEO that is likely to have significant winter snow, it can often take one or two or sometimes three days into spring before the snow is gone and the soil is thawed. On 3-day seasons this can sometimes leave you with a very short window for spring planting. On longer season length it gives you some buffer to manage spring planting around a late spring.
Farmie2018

Post by Farmie2018 »

Thought so.

Thank you!

F.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Also if using Seasons on a Dedi Multiplayer server which is running all the time you would miss the chance to get jobs done in the various seasons.

On our FD server we are running 24 day seasons. However none of us can be on the server 24/7 so with perhaps with only a few hours every other evening is all we have spare the long season length gives us plenty of time to get all our jobs done.

As has been mentioned 3 day seasons do not give you accurate weather, whereas the longer seasons do.

Also how small is your farm? On our Server we are using "The West Coast" map and I run "Hill Ridge" farm with 17 fields that belong to me. Those fields plus contracting for the other farmers keeps me busy all year except through winter.

If anything I would say the 3 day season is the most pointless if you want to actually use the mod how it was intended, which was to bring more realism to the game.
hugassi

Post by hugassi »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:22 am
... Also how small is your farm? On our Server we are using "The West Coast" map and I run "Hill Ridge" farm with 17 fields that belong to me. Those fields plus contracting for the other farmers keeps me busy all year except through winter.

are you playing in real time BB ?
GIANTS Software: Partner Program :hi:
gmfarmer420

Post by gmfarmer420 »

I have found 3 day seasons to only be good for logging. On my farms I run 6 or 9 depending on size, but I always run 3 day on FDR maps.
FS22 season pass, FS19 Platinum and FS17 on PC FS15 on X360
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

@hugassi,

Yes we are playing at 1x speed. But we use a time control mod script made by Ian898 our Frontier Design scripting genuis, which keeps the time ingame to 4 hours behind RL time. That way as most of us are on during the evening it is still daylight ingame. The script can also work the same way if we speed up time through the winter. Then its 2 ingame days to 1 RL day.

We also have editted Seasons in various ways to cater to how we play. We have reduce silage, milk and wool prices as those are way to OP as default. Next on the agenda is to increase crop yield but reduce all prices again so it makes it harder to store crops making us use grain stores etc.

Most fun I've ever had playing Farming Sim.

We use the MP Manager mod, well an editted version. 6 of us are farm managers and are in charge of 1 of the farms each and the surrounding fields.
We also have at least 5 semi regular workers attached to the various farms.

We run proper crop rotations, use tramlines (thanks to pro-seed). We started off with a certain amount of money and no machinery and just built our farms up from there.

We do contracting for each other which we invoice and pay for. We rent each others machinery. We also do vehicle and equipment sales between farms. Handy if you fancy upgrading and a neighbouring farmer is selling a 2nd hand version of what you want.

My farm is Hill Ridge, my crops are Barley, Wheat, OSR, and Potatoes, with a few small grass meadows.

I sell my straw bales to the cow and pig farms, and in return buy solid manure off them to fertilize my fields.

During late spring early summer there is often plenty of grass work contracting, and now during Autumn I've had a lot of the guys helping with a massive spud harvest.

Playing the game this way makes it so beyond the simple default game.

That is why I am not really excited about Fs19, I haven't even pre-ordered it. Because I would rather carry on playing Fs17 like this.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

IMO, 6 days lengt with a speed of 5X is the best. I'm always playing on medium-large farm and hire worker for some task, like IRL.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

That sounds like a very nicely MP set up BB. Earlier this year I ran a server that had a lot of similarities to that. I found running seasons at 1x and fast forwarding during winter when there was little farming work to do the best process and it was a lot of fun.

Now I'm playing a SP game in a very heavily modified 16x Sized Corn Belt map with around 800 acres currently to farm with a GEO that simulates the NE US which gives you short growing seasons. I play 9 day seasons at 1x and it's a struggle to keep up with my current equipment. I am having a blast with this setup so much that I'm not overly interested in FS19 currently.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Bulletbill you should do a livestream it sounds great. I play on 6 day seasons that way I can plan more,if I have a wheat and straw harvest I look out for days with no rain at all and days with some rain I’ll harvest corn,canola and soya
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

@Patrick73,

We would be happy to show what we do publicly, but because nearly 90% of our mods are editted quite extensively, several aren't even released, we know we would get nothing but grief and hassle off players who would want those mods, and when we say no, would accuse us of just showing off.

So rather than be idiots ourselves we don't show off what others couldn't have, as we respect other modders first and foremost.

But the aspect of the style of game we play is massively satisfying. Also personally I hate a game which fills rushed. I like to take my time on jobs and just get a lot of satisfaction taking my time to do them and enjoying the scenery.

We recently took a converted Grimme GT 170 and re-did it as best as we could without remodelling the whole thing. It's not perfect but as good as it can be without starting from scratch. We had 3 of them in the field last night harvesting spuds with 4 tractors hauling on the go. They in turn were tipping into the Grimme grader then belts into the Potato store.

It might only be two rows at a time, but its strangely satisfying.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

That’s a shame Bulletbill that you’re unable to show it...it’d be a dam sight better than tv! I really like the west coast but it makes my PS4 sound like it’s going to take off and I’m concerned for its welfare so I’m on lone oak and it’s just nice to view the scenery
masonbee

Re: Seasons Mod: alterations for real time game play personal use!

Post by masonbee »

In real time seasons in nature is roughly 90 days(2160hrs or 3 months). So how can i set seasons 19 mod to 90 days not 24 days(576 hrs or 0.78904 months)? In the growth manager 19. I have set it to do real hours eg: Barley takes 1460hrs(2 months or 60 days) depending on seed to harvest. Grass takes 730hrs(1 month or 30 days) real time from seed to first cutting for the animals. If the growth manager mod can get on together with seasons 19 mod (so to speak!) I would use seasons 19. Until both mods work together. I use growth manager 19 mod not season 19 mod. P.s all numbers are based in real time -/+.
briansommers

Post by briansommers »

Could you please list all FS19 crops in real time. this is exactly what I’m looking for.
I to struggle with seasons mod or this growth mod.I love all things in real time.

It’s ok, I googled every crop and I think I’m in the ballpark.