Seasons mod (op updated re: bug reports)

blue_painted

Re: Crop rotation

Post by blue_painted »

I'm with OP on this ... I can see that it's a planner/calculator but how does it work? Do you go across the rows? Down the columns? I've tried both ways and I get 0.9 against everything ....
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

My recommendation is to just start and treat crop rotation as a long term goal. It is basically, legume, oil, cereal, repeat. You give up some legume harvest to get big bonuses on oil and cereal crops. Grass and cereal can also be rotated to benefit each other. You could try to manage each field independently, but then it gets to be a mess when you combine fields and get a large number of fields.

My approach
1) Purchase and expand field(s) if desired
2) Lime all field(s)
3) Plow if necessary (I don't plant corn, sunflower or root crops)
4) Plant soybeans on everything
5) Fertilize and weed as needed
6) Harvest
7) Fertilize
8) Plant canola on everything
9) Fertilize and weed as needed
10) Harvest
11) Fertilize
12) Plant wheat/barley/oat on everything
13) Fertilize and weed as needed
14) Harvest
15) Fertilize
16) Go to step 1

This keeps all the fields on the same rotation and you always lime at the same time you buy more land before planting soybeans.
Kamoore65536

Post by Kamoore65536 »

50 years ago as I was growing up in central Illinois we had the following crop rotation; corn, soybeans, wheat. We planted winter wheat after soybeans as the soybeans were harvested in late September. We also might plant Sudan grass in early spring on the soybean fields of the year before to use as silage for the cows.

We just planted the 3 crops and Sudan grass, alfalfa, clover mix for hay and that was it.
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

blue_painted wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:48 pm I'm with OP on this ... I can see that it's a planner/calculator but how does it work? Do you go across the rows? Down the columns? I've tried both ways and I get 0.9 against everything ....
Lol, I never even considered it could be row based - I just assumed it worked in columns!!

I'm ignoring crop rotation right now - just done the 1st year of seasons so it didn't really matter what I did and after harvest I extended all the fields so had to plow it all again and then planted crops that will survive the winter. I'm hoping to be able to harvest early enough next year to get soybeans planted in time. I only just managed to get the soybeans grown and harvested in time this year - had a nail-biting wait to see if my seeds for winter crops would germinate before the frost hit!

Crop rotation is a nice feature for those that want that depth to the game but I'd rather plant what I want when I want than follow a rotation, including leaving fields fallow from time to time, to get a slightly better yield.
CombineBert

Re: Seasons mod (op updated re: bug reports)

Post by CombineBert »

Farmer Klein has done a vid on crop rotation that may help.
Platform: WIN 10 | Game Version: PC Steam
Devices: Logitech G29 Wheel, pedals & shifter | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick | Stream Deck

Current FS19 Maps:
Ravensburg - 9 Day Seasons
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

The impact of crop rotation is quite small so just ignoring it works.

The planner is column based.

Regarding issue 300: sometimes growth needs to catch up states due to late planting. This is by design. Its because we work with limited about of growth states and within game limits.
BiggoB

Post by BiggoB »

thanks rahkiin. works for me and i just wanted to make sure i didn't break anything ;)
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

If I plant winter-wheat. Is it possible to figure out in advance when it reaches harvesting-state?

(Btw regarding my q earlier about wet crop, I took a chance on leasing a combine and I could harvest at 24% wet.)
Plays on pc, hardmode and loves grinding
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

BreadedVirus wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm Is there an in depth guide to the crop rotation?

I have just started planting and no clue how to use the rotation of the crops

Example

I have just planted wheat in field 1 on Oakfield and the previous state was fallow. How do i go forward with the rotation from there?

The planner works in columns. There are four columns so you can set up as many as four theoretical rotations (either to compare rotations to each other, or to track different rotations on different fields if you so choose).

The planner reads the columns going down and calculates the theoretical maximum yield of each crop in the rotation, based on the effect of the other crops in the rotation. "None" is calculated as "don't include this line in the rotation calculation" (it is not part of the rotation). "Fallow" means a full growing season passes without anything being planted or harvested (Fallow is part of the rotation, treated similarly to the other crop types. It has a benefit on the crops following it).

Crops are impacted by the previous two crops grown before them. The calculation cycles around to the top of the column when it reaches the last inputted crop. i.e. if you enter crops in all six slots, crop 1 will calculate the impact on it from crop 5 and 6. If you enter crops in four slots and leave the other two "none", crop 1 will calculate the impact on it from crops 3 and 4. Entering just Wheat in slot 1 followed by 5 "None"s wold represent continuous wheat. Likewise entering "Wheat" in slots 1-3 followed by 3 "None"s would also represent continuous wheat.

I hope this makes sense. It sounds more complicated to use than it actually is.

You can then play with the planner however you want, either to see how your traditional rotation stacks up in terms of overall performance, or to try to optimize your plan to maximize yields while still growing whatever you most like to grow. I think it is just an awesome feature and adds a genuine aspect of management to the game. I can't applaud Realismus enough for the work and thought they put into this feature *thumbsup* *thumbsup*
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

JohnDeere77 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm If I plant winter-wheat. Is it possible to figure out in advance when it reaches harvesting-state?

(Btw regarding my q earlier about wet crop, I took a chance on leasing a combine and I could harvest at 24% wet.)
I don't think you can figure out the exact day, but the planting and harvesting calendar in the Seasons menu tells you approximately when it will be ready relative to its planting date. If you plant winter wheat at the beginning of its planting window, it will be ready to harvest at approximately the beginning of its harvest window. If you plant near the end of its planting window, it will correspondingly be ready a bit later in its harvest window. Each GEO has different windows. I think with the base GEO the earliest winter wheat is harvestable is late summer.

Spring wheat is later; I think the earliest I have harvested it is early fall, regardless how early in the spring it was planted.
GolloG

Post by GolloG »

@FarmerJimbob: realtime yes and the time from the field to the field with changing the equipment was max. 5 min , and not the complete grass was hay, only spots about the complete swath

@Rahkiin: yes latest update
LS PC:
09 Gold
11, LS 11 Platin
13 CE, Titanium, Ursus
15 CE, ITRunner DLC, LS 15 GOLD
LS 17 CE
LS 19 CE
LS 22 SP1
-----------------
PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800 mit bequiet Dark Rock pro 4, 16GB DDR4 @3200, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SuperSC ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5, Samsung EVO 870 SSD 1Tb, be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 (650 Watt), 3x BenQ G2760 27", Logitech G27 und 2x Thrustmaster T.16000M
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

Suggestion and question for RM team : would it be possible to make a drop menu in rotation planner with multiply index next to the each crop, i think it would be much easier than scrolling through all crops.
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

DirectCedar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:20 pm
JohnDeere77 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Spring wheat is later; I think the earliest I have harvested it is early fall, regardless how early in the spring it was planted.
Ok, thanks. So it might be hard to get a new harvest the next season then
Plays on pc, hardmode and loves grinding
Guil

Post by Guil »

Am I going mental or can you not use a helper to spray herbicide on a field? No matter when I try, it instantly comes up helper finished.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Guil wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:46 pm Am I going mental or can you not use a helper to spray herbicide on a field? No matter when I try, it instantly comes up helper finished.
I don't think you can. I think the worker will only continue spraying where there are actual weeds growing. When he/she reaches a clean part of the field he stops and thinks he's done.