Priority of Maps

BC144601

Priority of Maps

Post by BC144601 »

Why aren't maps given priority over regular mods?
My reasoning is simply this, what's more important, the mods or the map, the map is the heart of the game save, mods might add to the gameplay but it's the map that's the heart of the game while the game itself would be the body.

My point is, it's very discouraging to put many hours if not hundreds of hours in a map just to have a update come out and you are required to start over.
For example, The R.D.C Map has been on the list for a week and how much time did it spend behind other mods waiting to be tested?

The system that's in place now is wait your turn, first come first served but shouldn't the maps take priority over regular mods, I mean I Never had to restart a map because of a new mod that was released.
All I'm asking is someone from Giants to please consider this request.
Thank you. BC.
Bobbydj1980

Re: Priority of Maps

Post by Bobbydj1980 »

I agree 100%on this
Love farming simulator I play on the Xbox series x orangebeach Alabama
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

So you feel *any* map should take precedence over say...seasons? Seasons is a mod, not a map, so following your logic, we should all be waiting for seasons because you want your R.D.C map to come first?
I understand your logic, and a part of me agrees that some mods are more important than others, but where do you draw the line? It’s a slippery slope once Giants start deciding what mods are most important and stack the que....

I think the most fair is to do as they do now. If maps always jumped the line, no other mods would ever be released since it takes much longer to check a map over most mods, and there are so many new maps being finished adding to the line.

What Giants COULD do tho, is to have dedicated staff testing mods *all the time*. It seems it is a bit too random wether there is testing or not, and too many other things the team has to do. In my opinion mods are what makes this game, and what Giants publish is just the base. If people stop modding, the game will die. Quickly! So all possible care should be made to make sure mods are released in a timely fashion at all times. This week there have been more mods uploaded every day than mods released, so the line is growing every day. It’s been 2 or 3 days with 0 released mods...

Edit: spelling
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

FIFO
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

What happens when there are few mods you really want stuck in line behind a map you don't care about? Come back and say certain mods should have priority over maps? Mods have priority over certain maps? Mods/maps YOU want take priority?
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

There are a lot of mods that would never get tested if they put maps first. I'll bet they bumped seasons to the top, but don't expect anyone to admit that.
Testing seems to have slowed to a crawl. In fact it doesn't seem they are doing much of anything. Bugs from months ago unanswered in the thread, only a couple mods tested at a time. Maybe they thought everyone would leave them alone once they released seasons.
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

I do agree with you OP about the map being the heart of the game. I personally lose interest in gameplay quickly on maps I dont care for.

On the other hand first submitted first tested is the fair approach. I also agree on how mod testing should be much more of a priority at Giant's company than it seems to be. Mods are the only thing keeping a game like this alive. Base game and gameplay alone gets boring fast without the introduction of new content on a steady basis.
Xbox One Farmer
Yellow Farmer with some Red mixed in
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

First come, first serve...

And maps take longer to test than most other mods. And some small ones take very little testing.

So, no.... just no...
PC gamer.
Way2drunk2walk

Post by Way2drunk2walk »

My point is, it's very discouraging to put many hours if not hundreds of hours in a map just to have a update come out and you are required to start over.
It would be more discouraging to put many hours in to making a mod just to be told it was a "low priority mod".

I guarantee it would lead to less "regular" mods being published on the official modhub. Which of course would mean less mods for console.
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Also a point I'd like to add. There are constantly new maps that are being submitted for testing. As a result of this, it could possibly take weeks for some of the other mods to get through, despite the fact that they were there first.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

Separate mod testing and mod map testing would be a good idea but as giants have stated many times they do not have a large workforce and simply would not have enough staff to do this
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

While I understand, for me nothing should be given priority over anything else. Some want good maps other want good mods. Most want both.

As Doc3d said, when you start with priority testing where do you draw the line? The fairest system is everything and everyone is treated the same, irrespective of modder, team, mod type or demand.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

First come, first served, end of.

You (OP) want more maps, US players want more US mods, Console players want more console mods, UK players want RHD vehicles. Fred wants this, Doris wants that, Betty wants something else etc etc.

I personally want older, smaller machinery and a hand pumped water source, so I've begun the long and probably painful journey into modding (you might see it by FS31)!

The only fair way to test and release mods is exactly how they do it.

BoxTunnel, red wine and Giants Editor do not go well together.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

BoxTunnel wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:11 am (snip)
BoxTunnel, red wine and Giants Editor do not go well together.
There's your mistake right there -- should be beer! :mrgreen:

Back to the topic: I get the OP's point and like most people, I can't see a fairer system than FIFO. What I don't know if it that is what GIANTS actually do: I can imagine that testing for console is a different procedure than testing for PC, and possibly involves different people. However, maybe it's just confirmation bias, but some similar mods do seem to take much longer to get through and certainly with FS17 there seemed to be a wide variation in go/no-go standards applied to mods, maps especially.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

In fs17 there was a discussion about that, I think the consensus was that different testers had somewhat different standards, so a map could be approved by one tester and rejected by another. Of course this is no good, but I guess it’s hard to overcome personal standards dripping through.