MTZ Equipment aka Belarus/Kirovets tractors

JCByellowguy

MTZ Equipment aka Belarus/Kirovets tractors

Post by JCByellowguy »

Been keeping my eye on the MTZ line of machines for some years now. They look to have great dealer support here in the Americas now. Impressive lineup of machines and the engineering looks solid to push the Kirovets 4wd models onto Canadian and U.S. Farms.

Could be a future brand for the FS series. Us American farmers need more 4wd tractors in game.
Xbox One Farmer
Yellow Farmer with some Red mixed in
GenXFarmer

Re: MTZ Equipment aka Belarus/Kirovets tractors

Post by GenXFarmer »

Define Americas?

Seriously doubt that brand will never make major headway in the USA for big 4WD tractors.

Deere has about 50% market share
CNH about 25%
Challenger and Versatile fight for the table scraps.

Price won't buy market share and there isn't squat for dealers. Lowest price doesn't sell big tractors or no one would own a Deere.
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

North America, mainly Canada, U.S.A., and some of Mexico.

Dealer support is indeed littered across the U.S. and Canada. MTZ's smaller machines (100-200hp) already have a presence in both countries.

Not insinuating they are going to take over and hurt Deere, CNH, or AGCO in the market but instead offer another option for the open minded farmer.

After personally inspecting the MTZ K744 model at an expo and seeing first hand the path of engineering that was taken to ensure the machine is practicle in design and service friendly I was very impressed. The machines appear to be designed for the long haul and not throw away like the modern machines of the other brands. No computer resets required for the majority of minor, moderate, and even major repairs. Just genuine hard parts you replace in your own garage and get back out there.

Their facility is located in Belarus and free to anyone who wants to take a tour. I will be visiting this winter during the off season. If quality control looks good while touring the facility I will order a K744 when I return.
Xbox One Farmer
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

JCByellowguy wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm North America, mainly Canada, U.S.A., and some of Mexico.

Dealer support is indeed littered across the U.S. and Canada. MTZ's smaller machines (100-200hp) already have a presence in both countries.

Not insinuating they are going to take over and hurt Deere, CNH, or AGCO in the market but instead offer another option for the open minded farmer.

After personally inspecting the MTZ K744 model at an expo and seeing first hand the path of engineering that was taken to ensure the machine is practicle in design and service friendly I was very impressed. The machines appear to be designed for the long haul and not throw away like the modern machines of the other brands. No computer resets required for the majority of minor, moderate, and even major repairs. Just genuine hard parts you replace in your own garage and get back out there.

Their facility is located in Belarus and free to anyone who wants to take a tour. I will be visiting this winter during the off season. If quality control looks good while touring the facility I will order a K744 when I return.
I hope they are better machines than the Belarus tractors sold in Canada in the 80s and 90s. Those tractors were garbage and dealer and parts support was terrible. There is a reason that generation came and went.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I can't see them having much of an impact in Canada or America, mexico I don't know much about. They are not only competing against Deere, CNH and AGCO as stated above. It also CAT/Challenger, Versatile, Kubota, Mahindra and Kioti. Deutz and Claas also have a decent presence in Canada.
Valko_inen

Post by Valko_inen »

DirectCedar wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:40 pm I hope they are better machines than the Belarus tractors sold in Canada in the 80s and 90s.
Yes they have improved a lot, in the 80s they were really atrocious. In Moldova where I'm from they're a market leader for small tractors
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

26 dealers nationwide in the USA, I would not hold your breath waiting for them to make an impact.

just for comparison John Deere has 15 dealers within a 110 mile radius in south dakota
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

They'll sell some < 100 hp to the urban rancher that's looking for a cheap yard tractor. Big 4WDs, as the original discussion was about, even AGCO will sell more and they're not really a player with MT900s.
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

Everyone starts somewhere. 2019 is the begining of their sales in N.A. They lined up enough supporting dealers to give it a go.

I know there are many here in the U.S.A. who will overlook them simply because they are a foreign brand but thats just ignorance. The dealer ive been in contact with over the border in Canada is well stocked with many parts in inventory for the small to mid range machines. I cant wait to tour the MTZ factory in Minsk Belarus this coming winter.
Xbox One Farmer
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Not a fan of Arie @ MTZ
DeereJason

Post by DeereJason »

JCByellowguy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:25 am Everyone starts somewhere. 2019 is the begining of their sales in N.A. They lined up enough supporting dealers to give it a go.

I know there are many here in the U.S.A. who will overlook them simply because they are a foreign brand but thats just ignorance. The dealer ive been in contact with over the border in Canada is well stocked with many parts in inventory for the small to mid range machines. I cant wait to tour the MTZ factory in Minsk Belarus this coming winter.
This is nothing "new". Brands come and go. Salesman are paid to be optimistic. Being born in the 70s and growing up in the 80's, there were dozens of these brands. Now guys are stuck trying to find parts

This is NOT about ignorance to a foreign brand. Actually, quite the opposite is true. Regardless of perceived value, it's still about support...short and long term. Just because a dealer exists doesn't mean support is readily available. Foreign tractors usually mean foreign parts. Foreign parts require either a domestic supplier or damn good shipping.

Some of the biggest competition to new equipment sales is used equipment sales. Farmers can buy used tractors of similar or superior performance for far less. While maintaining them is a concern a brand like Deere has a monumental parts supply network and many are not only available but stocked at dealers. For my money, I'm gambling on a brand that is more likely to still be in country 10-20 years down the road. At least if I need to sell it, there will be a buyer.
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

All good points gentlemen and I do agree. Dealer support sells heavy equipment brands of any kind better than the brand itself.

The farm I purchased back in 2016 came with a few pieces of equipment (John Deere) all purchased new in 1989. Deere is still the only dealer in my immediate area that supports machines over 300 pto rated HP. The farms surrounding me are mainly Deere farms. The green and yellow runs thick around here because the dealer is great.

Over the past few years ive bought up a few more farms around me and acquired more machines mainly Deere. At the same time though all my machines are old and even Deere being well established in country there are parts I wait weeks for sometimes because they come from a Deere facility over seas.

Ive had great experiences with almost every major brand over the years JCB being the best so far. The internet has made doing business so much simpler and I hardly ever use the walk in dealer for anything but the initial purchase. Manufacturers can support their machines worldwide now with ease.

The farming industry has also changed plenty from my father's day and its much more business orientated. All the young guys around me have a machine or two to spare. We dont leave ourselves in the position if a machine goes down and its a days wait for the part we lose profit. It costs nothing to have and maintain a few older machines as backups. Resale is also not that great an issue either. The used market for any of these newer electronic heavy machines is not great around me. Strictly mechanical pre emissions era machines no matter the brand are sold before they even have a for sale sign on them. The modern tier 3 and 4 machines dont sell well at all in used form and out of warranty. The mentality around me is buy new for peace of mind and a full warranty on the unreliable emissions systems.
Xbox One Farmer
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

JCByellowguy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm The modern tier 3 and 4 machines dont sell well at all in used form and out of warranty. The mentality around me is buy new for peace of mind and a full warranty on the unreliable emissions systems.
A new MTZ/Kirovets sold in NA today will still have to be Tier 4 final though will it not?

I agree with your logic about having some backup equipment in reserve, and I practice the same myself. I have to disagree that it costs nothing though. You have to buy the old equipment, keep parts around, do a little pre-emptive maintenance on it every year whether you expect to use it or not, and spend time and money repairing it whenever it as well inevitably breaks down once in a while. Costs can be fairly low for infrequently-used kit compared to a payment on a brand new one, but it does not cost nothing.
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

DirectCedar wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 pm
JCByellowguy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm The modern tier 3 and 4 machines dont sell well at all in used form and out of warranty. The mentality around me is buy new for peace of mind and a full warranty on the unreliable emissions systems.
A new MTZ/Kirovets sold in NA today will still have to be Tier 4 final though will it not?

I agree with your logic about having some backup equipment in reserve, and I practice the same myself. I have to disagree that it costs nothing though. You have to buy the old equipment, keep parts around, do a little pre-emptive maintenance on it every year whether you expect to use it or not, and spend time and money repairing it whenever it as well inevitably breaks down once in a while. Costs can be fairly low for infrequently-used kit compared to a payment on a brand new one, but it does not cost nothing.
Yes the Kirovets models are all Tier 4 emissions compliant.

Also yes, "nothing" is not the correct term to be used. I should have said it turns out to be very little extra cost to keep the used backup machines around and maintained compared to the headache and profit loss incured from having your only machine speced for the job fail and need repair before work can resume.

The K744 model I inspected is far more service friendly than any of the modern Deere, CNH, and Challenger 4wd models ive inspected over the past few years. The K744 also comes with a 7 year/10k hour warranty covering engine and emissions components. It looks to be a machine ill keep for 20 plus years as ill be able to service the machine well after the warranty expires.

At the expo where I first viewed the K744 they demonstrated replacing many electrical components that would require a dealer module reset on other manufacturers equipment to get the machine functioning again. The K744 just started right back up with no reset and had full function just like replacing parts used to be.
Xbox One Farmer
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

JCByellowguy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:36 pm
Sort of a related question for JCBguy and GenXFarmer:

Are you seeing many Versatiles in the newer tractor segment in your areas? They are slowly making inroads again in the big tractor market in Western Canada since Rostelmash has taken over and been expanding and promoting the overall line. I would only be guessing at what market share they have here now but that guess would be 10-15% of new 4WD sales.

Just curious if your regions appear similar.