ATTN: Giants. Feature request, multiple mod folders.

FiremanDJ

ATTN: Giants. Feature request, multiple mod folders.

Post by FiremanDJ »

I'm about to do an long and tedious task.

Go through all of my mods, delete the ones I don't use and then edit the ones I want to keep to include features like strap support (as per Iconik's Strap-It tutorial) and seasons support as well as configure / fix the controls on some vehicles to use the correct joystick axis.

While it won't come in time to help me now, there are MANY other cases where this feature could be of huge benefit to the wider community with only minimal effort on Giants behalf to make it work.

Support multiple folders or sub-folders for mods.
This could be as simple as checking for and loading sub-folders, or as complex as adding a settings option to list multiple folder locations (in priority order) across multiple hard drives.

This will allow people to organise their mods into different folders. For example, step one for me today is identify which mods are placeables, vehicles / tools, game play scripts etc.
Would be much easier if I could place them into folders when I download them, as I have hundreds of mods installed (and that is a small number compared to some people).
FarmerLee73

Re: ATTN: Giants. Feature request, multiple mod folders.

Post by FarmerLee73 »

This can already be done via symbolic links, all my mods are in there own folders within a mods folder ie trucks, buildings, trailers, etc on a different hard drive and I just have symbolic links to them, this is just the same as copy and paste but it only pastes a link to the file and not the file itself. Take a look at this page , you can ignore most of it and just read the heading "How to Create Symbolic Links with a Graphical Tool"

Once installed it's as simple as copy and paste.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

I also use symbolic links and it works ok. Another benefit is that you can keep all your mods on any hard drive you prefer and save the space on your main drive.
I do agree that it would be better if you could do this directly in the game, especially sub folders would be very handy. Another thing I would find very helpful is to be able to change the name of any mod, without it possibly crashing the game. Some mods are not exactly intuitively named, making it hard to know what mod you are actually looking at when doing spring cleaning in your modfolder. That way you could just rename any mod you downloaded right away, making it SO much easier if you want to remove it 2 months later.

And while I’m at it, why not actually name the mod that is causing a conflict, error or warning. I’m very weary of warnings specifying scripts that does not work, but not where that script is called from!
FiremanDJ

Post by FiremanDJ »

I've already made use of links (my PC is Win10 for gaming, my laptop is Linux Mint) for other programs.
Wasn't aware you could have a single link point to multiple folders.

Or are you using multiple links all named "mods" pointing to each sub-folder?

Could you post a quick run down of how yours is set up?
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

You could also just keep a simple text file with the name of all the mods and what they do.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

It's not a single link going to multiple folders, think of a symbolic link as a shortcut which you put in the mods folder of your game, that then points to where the file is, each mod needs its own link. Just like you would put each mod file in the mod folder you put each link in the mod folder, as you know link files take no space up and you can then have the actually mod files anywhere you like on your computer. I have 1 folder called FS19 Mods and inside that I have about 20 other folders cars,placeables,trucks,trailers,tracters etc. I can then go into any folder, right click the mod file and click create link and then I go into the game mod folder and just paste the link/shortcut.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

FarmerLee73 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:57 pm It's not a single link going to multiple folders, think of a symbolic link as a shortcut which you put in the mods folder of your game, that then points to where the file is, each mod needs its own link. Just like you would put each mod file in the mod folder you put each link in the mod folder, as you know link files take no space up and you can then have the actually mod files anywhere you like on your computer. I have 1 folder called FS19 Mods and inside that I have about 20 other folders cars,placeables,trucks,trailers,tracters etc. I can then go into any folder, right click the mod file and click create link and then I go into the game mod folder and just paste the link/shortcut.
This sounds like a pretty slick way to handle this.

Do any of the mod-manager-type mods do something like this? I've read that some of them create and redirect to multiple folders so that you have unique folders for each savegame with only the mods active on that particular map, but I am not sure if any of them allow you to sort mods by type into unique folders. Unfortunately I haven't played with any of them enough to say what the extent of their capabilities are.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

DirectCedar wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:29 pm
I've read that some of them create and redirect to multiple folders so that you have unique folders for each savegame with only the mods active on that particular map, but I am not sure if any of them allow you to sort mods by type into unique folders.
Yes FS19 Dashboard does this, it allows you to create separate folders for each map that you use, you then just drop the symbolic links into the map folder for the particular map you want the mods to work on.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

*thumbsup*