How to determine Bin Capacity size?

Plaas seun

How to determine Bin Capacity size?

Post by Plaas seun »

How do you determine bin capacity size as i work out the in-game 200 000 Liter is not very big That is if my calculation are correct.

20 000 Bushel Bin = 700 000 Liter = 500 Ton.

The in game bin hold 200 000 L so 143 Ton = 5675 bushel? seems to small ???

Is there a way to see the height and dimension of a bin?

Edit don_apple: topic moved from german to english section.
Eische

Re: How to determine Bin Capacity size?

Post by Eische »

For me the easiest way to determine the bin dimensions is to use the GE.
I just opened the large bin and created new transform groups. I moved them accordingly to get the inner dimensions of the bin (radius and height).
My results:
radius = 6.9m
height cylinder = 10.5m
height cone = 3.5m
This results in a total volume of about 1745 cubic meters (1.745 million liters) which will be about 49500 bushel.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
niggle44

Post by niggle44 »

If we can choose the currency and the field measurement (hectares/acres) why cant we choose litres/tons/bushels/gallons etc. I don't know anyone who measures grain, potatoes or sugar beets in litres !
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

Because what is measured is the volume of the trailer / bin / silo. I believe the whole world agrees that volume is measured in litres, even though USA measures liquid in gallons.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I'm sry, but I don't believe the whole world doesn't measure in litres. The u.s is bushels. When the government gives a ag report it is always in bushels. They say something like, 50 million bushels were sold to Mexico last night.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

I'm guessing the reason why the game is using litres as the standard for the capacity of trailers, silos, etc. is because it is much easier to calculate the volume in litres, because a litre is well defined.

Whereas for other measurement units like bushels it is not so simple, since those are not standard units. For example for bushels, should the game use the "imperial" or the "US" version for measuring the capacity? Or do you expect the game to use "bushel" as a weight measurement? Which would mean the game would actually take the specific "bushel weight" for each fruit into account.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
Illinois Farmer

Plus, they use litres because the game is made by Europeans. Bushel isn't hard to understand, like instead of having a harvest that holds and reads 14000 litres, it would just hold and say like 350 bushels. The hard part of understanding is test weight of each grain, which is lbs/bu. Here is the U.S everytime you haul a load to the elevator, you have to get weighed and give a grain sample to test moisture, and after you unload you have to weighed again, so they can tell how many bushels you brought in and calculate your test weight.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Guil

Post by Guil »

That's the same the world over regardless of the unit of measurement.
Litres is used because it's a volume as opposed to weight.
Illinois Farmer

Guil, yes I know litres are used for volume. I think the OP wants to know why we can't have the option of bushels used for measurement since here in the states everything is in bushels. No one says I just bought a 50000 litre grain cart, no they would say, I just bought a 600 bushel grain cart.

Edit: if you want to know how full to fill your sprayer, you would deal in gallons.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Possibly more options equals more chances of things going wrong etc?
Illinois Farmer

That's true. I would agree with that statement. Personally I'm thankful for the game and glad things work.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Edit: if you want to know how full to fill your sprayer, you would deal in gallons.
American or Imperial gallons...?
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:56 pm
Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:00 pm

American or Imperial gallons...?
I imagine this is a joke but the answer is sort of a joke too 🙄

Generally in the US sprayer water would be measured in US gallons. Except for the very rare one who measures in litres...

Generally in Canada it would be measured in imperial gallons... except for those very few who measure in US gallons... and except for those who measure in litres...

Sprayer tanks in Canada are often graduated in all 3 measurements. It’s a little ridiculous.
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 pm I'm sry, but I don't believe the whole world doesn't measure in litres. The u.s is bushels. When the government gives a ag report it is always in bushels. They say something like, 50 million bushels were sold to Mexico last night.
From my understanding, brushels is used to measure amount of dry masses only. While it is technically a measure of volume, as gallon is too, i dont get the impression that it is used to measure empty space.

Either way, it should be fairly simple to add different measure units that are based on volume. That would be a straight convert similar to the one already used for weight and distance (provided they are based purely on volume, and don't differ whether the material is dry, wet, compact or coarse like potatoes or beets). Trying to provide capacity in tonnes, however, is a whole different story. That will require a full list of capacity per material, and even then it would be pretty unrealistic, as weight per liter is never set in stone for bulk masses.
FarmDemAcres

Post by FarmDemAcres »

It would be easy to program such a feature into the game, but with every option added there is less room in the game menu available for other game options to be modified without adding another game menu. I have learned to work with liters and hectares and find them much easier to do quick mental estimates than bushels, acres and gallons. Meanwhile when I am looking at at estimates from the North American farmers it's easier for me now to convert back to l/Ha for my in game comparison and vice versa.
Meanwhile if you don't have a calculator or a smart phone or Google or the Internet (!) You can do some ball park estimates:

Liters to bushels: divide by 3 and then 10 (3000 l / 3 = 1000 / 10 = 100 bushels, Google gives 87)

Ha to acres divide by 4 then multiply by 10 (1000Ha / 4= 250 * 10 = 2500 acres Google gives 2461)