Just a little idea on traffic.

BoxTunnel

Just a little idea on traffic.

Post by BoxTunnel »

IRL I find many road users to be less than optimal. In FS they are ALL idiots.

I try so hard to keep traffic switched on as it adds atmosphere to the maps but find other road users behaviour so ridiculous that I usually end up turning traffic off. If a Case Quadtrac can get flipped on it's side by a Toyota Prius then something is a little bit wrong (and having been hit by a tractor whilst in a Ford Mondeo I do have some experience - the Mondeo was scrapped but I have no doubt that the tractor is still in operation somewhere).

Perhaps the traffic could be implemented like the pedestrians, i.e. "ghosts". If I hit a pedestrian in my Quadtrac I don't see blood, bone and snot flying all over the place, I just gently pass through him or her and carry on my merry way.

I would much rather Giants spent their resources on the farming side of the game than improving traffic, so to me this seems like a simple solution. We get the atmosphere of traffic without the pain of dodgy drivers.

Just a thought...

P.S. The Mondeo was indeed a write-off but it kept all four of it's occupants safe and we were hit hard! Well done Ford.
blue_painted

Re: Just a little idea on traffic.

Post by blue_painted »

I think "ghost" cars would be a good short term solution, and could be fairly easy to implement as it would be taking a collision off the car objects, not adding anything.

An improved system, which I agree should come after farming improvements, only really needs to have the traffic stop a few metres short of the blocking object because that would leave enough space to manoeuvre my tractor or combine out of the way without being locked by the infinitely strong cars.

Also -- years ago, my farming boss was rear-ended when driving his Ford 7600. The car hit his rear wheel, wrote off the car and only left a clean patch on the tractor tyre!
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

for 19 we got all kinds of improved stuffs that in the long run will make the game better.. like the lighting system.. while it may be a tad buggy now, I have no doubt that fs21 will put some polish on it and make this feature really shine in the base game.. so my hope is that a similarly big improvement and focus of 21 will be the ai.. both worker and traffic.. I don't use workers but the system needs a LOT of work.. and the traffic is abysmal and probably the single worst aspect of the game.. EVERY other simulator I play has better traffic.. this needs to be a thing.. the only thing I hate more than turning the traffic off in this game is leaving it on
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Ghost cars is the best idea (for giants) to solve the problem. The AI traffic is not AI at all, it is just predefined paths that the cars follow.
As per the inconsistent way of doing things, the people are ghosts but the cars are solid.
I would like to keep traffic turned on too, so please giants, remove the collision detection from traffic.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

How about we revisit fs13 for traffic :lol: You could bully the traffic around, that was the greatest.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

redglasses wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:15 pm How about we revisit fs13 for traffic :lol: You could bully the traffic around, that was the greatest.
I want that too ... I think I saw screenshots of rogue cars being tipped off bridges!
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
blackiecat

Post by blackiecat »

I think everything in FS19 should be more random not sure how difficult that would be for the map makers, the cars and wagons are all the same is there no buses? and the people walk in single file it would be nice to see them together, and the bird sounds are always at the same spot, it would really make the game more interesting when things happen unexpectedly in different places
JaVaDy

Post by JaVaDy »

When crossing roads I just think "bite me" and drive, I have a low number of collisions. My nightmare is the train in Ravenport. I don't even have time to get scared when the bells of the railroad crossing start: within nano seconds I get hit and splattered all over the place ;-).

Imho ghost traffic is a good option, but ghost trains would be nice too.

It would be very ice to have traffic that complies to traffic regulations, but improving the farming part of FS is more important.
Former Xbox One S player, now on PC :-D
AndyPandy

Post by AndyPandy »

I do believe (read: hope) Giants will do awesome stuff with the environement side of the game for fs21. So many people playing single player and wishing for a more alive environement. Birds was a small step in the right direction but we need algorithms that make for more random events. Would be nice with a bus going down the road once in a while unloading people from work, traffic taking not only the same route every time, neighbours tractor working his field, a deere crossing the road. Dont know if this is even possible lol but wow it would be absolutely awesome.

But yeah, no collision for now lol
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Personally I would prefer Giants spends time improving the farming aspect of the game. If traffic bothers me on a map I just turn it off and don't think about it again, I am here to farm not dodge cars doing 20mph on a slot track.

Ghost traffic would be ok I guess but I guarantee you more people would complain about how unrealistic it is than complain about how stupid the current traffic system is.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Irish farmer 91

Post by Irish farmer 91 »

Maybe if they increased the speed or the traffic because majority of my run is with them is wen I'm in tractor doing 30 trying to overtake a car at 20 when an oncoming car causes a crash. In reality the cars would be driving at 50 or so.
Playing on Ps4
Irish farmer 91

Post by Irish farmer 91 »

Another option could be rather than simply turning the traffic off, switch it to ghost mode, because with cars turned off the map seems very lifeless
Playing on Ps4
Jballak9197

Post by Jballak9197 »

If Giants sped up the traffic, but either slowed down or drove around the player while on the roadway would be a thought. Or as another option, when you turn traffic off instead of actually disappearing they just went translucent. So the player doesn't have to feel alone in the world, but without the hassle of traffic conflicting with playing. Could they also play other tractors, trucks, and maybe even semis on the roads. Like even for fields the player doesn't own there be AI in the fields working.
Hebrews 6:7. Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.
Sir_Kutz

Post by Sir_Kutz »

I think the worst is when you have an implement attached that does not have full collision. Quite often on County Line I get seriously rear ended by traffic.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

I get annoyed when someone drives up behind me and pushes me off the road, then has the nerve to blow their horn at me! I'll get out and jump on their bonnet in a kind of simulator road rage ;) (better than doing it in real life!)

TBH, traffic doesn't bother me that much, but I'd love an option to switch off the pedestrians. For me, they add nothing at all, and are just spooky, aimlessly wandering around in the same patterns again and again...
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net