What are the differences - US and European versions?

blue_painted

What are the differences - US and European versions?

Post by blue_painted »

I see a lot of comments talking about US versions of mods, tractors in particular and John Deer even more so. What are the differences?

I'm from the UK, so European, and not a huge JD fan so probably some detail escapes me, but it seems to me that the base tractor is going to be the same and the differences will be details. That being so, wouldn't the best solution be for Modders to add those options as configurations in the machinery shop/store screen? Maybe it's because many of the Modders are also European, and so they don't see the US versions?

I'm not trying to bash Modders here, trying to understand.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
chedly_farms

Re: What are the differences - US and European versions?

Post by chedly_farms »

The differences are in the details. For Example, This image is of a Euro 8r
The warning hazards are red/white diagonal placards
The front usually has a 3pt hitch with pto
The tires are wider and not usually duals.

This image is a NA styled 8r
The hazard warnings are out wider, to the width of the duals.
No 3pt hitch on front
The tires are narrow to fit between the crop rows.
Along with a few other differences.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Those are two great pictures to show the main differences. However the things listed can over lap you will see wide tires in America along with front 3pts. Just a matter of application and use. But the poster is correct and gave a great example. The only difference I would add is the rear hitch carries from country to country.
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

I've always wanted to ask and I feel like this is a good time. How do you people in Europe deal with those tiny roads? The roads are so small, so skinny, I just can't even imagine driving my truck, which is a pickup truck, on those roads with a trailer. Let alone a tractor or a semi truck with a huge trailer on it.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Off topic, but this is one of my favourite roads. Fun in a car, even more so on a motorbike. Not sure I would like it in a truck though, passing places are a little small. Regularly see tractors and farm machinery up there though.

FarmerJDC

Post by FarmerJDC »

Yeah the duals here usually are put on an outside hub and tightened on like a normal wheel. Not the clamp on or whatever they're called idk the proper term, like what i see on the game or YouTube. Ive always wondered why we use what we use amd why other countries use their style. Can you space the clamp ons like the long bar axles? Like 30 inch rows 36 etc. Bear in mind im not a farmer just always been into farming but from what I've seen the only difficulty with the bar axles is lifting the tire and getting the lugnuts lined up amd tightened. Sorry off topic but if anybody can shed some light on it it would be nice
Cmtaylor

Post by Cmtaylor »

FarmerJDC wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 am Yeah the duals here usually are put on an outside hub and tightened on like a normal wheel. Not the (clamp on) or whatever they're called idk the proper term, like what i see on the game or YouTube.
Clamp on duels or clamp ons you are correct but clamp on duels were used for easy uses and with a front assist tractor they can be easier, but have problems staying put due to the fact that they can spin on the other rim and snap the clamps off, that is why in its more common to see bolt on duels instead of clamp on duels in the USA.
FarmerJDC

Post by FarmerJDC »

Okay. Most of the tractors ive seen in the US with clamp ons are from the 70s and 80s so it makes sense. Also having seen how theyre put on i always wondered how the torque from the inner tire didn't spin and twist them off which I guess that's what happens idk. Can they be spaced for row crops?
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Riven326 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:19 am I've always wanted to ask and I feel like this is a good time. How do you people in Europe deal with those tiny roads? The roads are so small, so skinny, I just can't even imagine driving my truck, which is a pickup truck, on those roads with a trailer. Let alone a tractor or a semi truck with a huge trailer on it.
It takes skill and practice :lol:

But seriously, even our narrow lanes take a T8 or 8R but you do need to use passing places and look ahead.

Getting a combine through villages can be tricky http://gallery.nen.gov.uk/imagelarge58928-.html

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
asyvan

Post by asyvan »

blue_painted wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 am
Getting a combine through villages can be tricky Image
Holy ****!
Well, Sweden in general does not have too tight roads although small villages and tight roads do exist. But mainly the roads that farmers need to use are quite decent.
//Jens Ejvinsson
Farming History: FS11, FS13, FS15, FS17, FS19 (Steam)
Logitech G29, Logitech/Saitek Sidepanel, Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad
PC Gamer - "The Silent Beast" i7-7700K @ 5Ghz, GTX 1070 @ 2.1GHz

Case IH Puma CVX With Tracks
Väderstad Rapid A600-800S Seed Drill
Tutorial compilation for FS19 - list of all my How To guides
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Most combines in the UK have a convoy to warn on-coming motorists that a large vehicle is coming, especially through smallish villages like in the picture above. Usually either a pick-up or Land Rover with flashing lights and a frantically waving driver, or a tractor bringing the header ahead of the combine itself. More rarely tractors will also have a convoy (eg with a 3m+ drill which can't fold).

On very narrow roads there are sometimes passing places, as blue_painted said - purpose made tarmacked or gravel laybys - though for every road with passing places there are dozens without them. Plenty of roads are so narrow you can't even get two small cars side-by-side, with the verge or reversing a necessity.

Just to note, people refer to the red and white warning signs as a "European thing", but not everywhere in Europe has them. They're not often seen on the UK roads for example.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I've been the Landy driver ... and it's amazing (or not?) how many oncoming drivers wave back cheerfully and THEN stamp on the brakes when faced with a combine. I've even had a terribly-nice lady ask me to back up because she's not awfully good at going in reverse ... her Volvo estate, my 7600+corncart

Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

Many Eurpoean countries require a license plate/tag on the back of road going farm vehicles (as shown on the combine above) and/or a round speed sticker as shown on this John Deere below:

It's very rare to see either in the U.S.
Playing on PC
TheSwede

Post by TheSwede »

25 meters (82 feet) of truck dolly and trailer on these tight roads is just fun 😁
Luckily I didn't meet anyone and sugarbeet season has just started over here so chances to meet something big is pretty good 👍😂😉

eric21

Post by eric21 »

Just seen an image of Dutch tractors using the American triangle sign, so are these dutch requirements