just for fun - fired up FS 17 the other day

ilovetrains

just for fun - fired up FS 17 the other day

Post by ilovetrains »

I was really kind of surprised, it simply ran much smoother than 19. I tend to run mod maps with tons of stuff on them, and I was kind of surprised how much smoother FS 17 felt. CP and follow me ran much better for sure. But I had to say the whole feel was better.

However the interface with 19 does feel like a big step forward. from the installed mods page to PDA and info windows. It was a very interesting comparison.
iwan073

Re: just for fun - fired up FS 17 the other day

Post by iwan073 »

Ha! I tried FS15 again the other day.

I forgot how limited you are in that game!
So weird, cause even though I had bought FS17 when it came out, I kept on playing FS15 for a long time. Why? I have NO idea
Ignorance is bliss
Chad05

Post by Chad05 »

Yea fs17 on consoles is twice the game that fs19 is in my book that what I think be side the graphics and few other things.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

addressing the BASE GAME, it would seem that the biggest drawback in terms of performance is a couple things.. workers.. they "changed" them for fs19 and they r now SUPER taxing on systems, especially consoles with the current limitations of the platform.. the dynamic sky seems to be extra taxing by comparison to older versions of the game.. my pc can handle the skybox fine but yea once u start fiddling with workers, the difference is slightly noticeable.. I can imagine its way more noticeable on weaker systems like consoles or lower end computers.. I suspect this will be fixed with 21 (hopefully) and I would bet my bottom dollar that the other issues causing performance degradation will be lined out.. the other changes that could be argued as a step behind fs17 r things like the lighting but not everyone is bothered by it and seasons lines that out.. I expect to see some tweaks by fs21.. but.. to say that fs17 is twice the game as fs19 in its base form is just plain silly.. I enjoyed fs17 as much as anyone.. I have thousands of hours spread across the console and pc versions.. but fs19 has a larger equipment lineup, more features, better physics, etc.. most of the other things complained about aren't actually a problem with the game but rather r based on the preferences of the person(s) doing the complaining like light, base maps, so on and so on

EDIT - when talking about the skybox, im also referencing the new effects created by the sky box like the shadows and such
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

ilovetrains wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:55 pm I was really kind of surprised, it simply ran much smoother than 19. I tend to run mod maps with tons of stuff on them, and I was kind of surprised how much smoother FS 17 felt. CP and follow me ran much better for sure. But I had to say the whole feel was better.

However the interface with 19 does feel like a big step forward. from the installed mods page to PDA and info windows. It was a very interesting comparison.
You are using the same computer with an older game with less graphics. I would imagine it's a given it would run a lot smoother.
Playing on PC
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

3 months ago, I fired up 17, and thought to myself, "dang, 19 was almost a step backwards."

Fast forward to a few days ago, I fired up 17 again. There is no comparison. 19 has better graphics and better details and lighting. I think a few months ago I was frustrated maybe with a lack of good mods, and that's maybe why I thought that way. But who knows, I may feel that way again.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Dagrump

Post by Dagrump »

I still go back to FS17 once in a while and particularly to the Loan Oak map. I have not been as enthused on the Lone Oak FS19 version but I keep trying to like it. The sky on the FS19 version of Lone Oak does not seem to have the visual impact we enjoyed on 17.

As far as the mods go there are some nice things in FS19 but at this point some of the stuff I used in 17 is not there. But in either case I spend way too much time on the game - way too much at times. Thanks Giant for complicating my life. :biggrin2:
Farming with a Dell PC on Maps:
FS17: Loan Oaks Farm and Western Shore
FS19: Upper Mississippi River Valley, Bucks County, Pa, Huron County Michigan
FS22 Back Roads County, Stone Valley 22, Green Valley Nebraska and Huron County Michigan
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

IMO 17 was the peak version.
Again IMO, the rotten roll-out of 19 took them downhill. They tried to cram too much into their tiny development period, and released an incomplete game on purpose. Doesn't matter though because JD got them the sales.
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

i agree, I had to tear myself away from fs17 and use all my will power to try and forget about it and play fs19. I have put in a fair few hours into the game now but I caved and went back to 17 the other day and I just cant help but feel that its a much much better game.
wombles

Post by wombles »

I loved FS17, but there's to many things I like in FS19 to even consider installing it again.
masneoquil

Post by masneoquil »

I'm still playing FS17.
I can't live without Courseplay
wombles

Post by wombles »

Can you not use courseplay in FS19?
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Dagrump wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:13 am I still go back to FS17 once in a while and particularly to the Loan Oak map. I have not been as enthused on the Lone Oak FS19 version but I keep trying to like it. The sky on the FS19 version of Lone Oak does not seem to have the visual impact we enjoyed on 17.

As far as the mods go there are some nice things in FS19 but at this point some of the stuff I used in 17 is not there. But in either case I spend way too much time on the game - way too much at times. Thanks Giant for complicating my life. :biggrin2:
I agree with you on Lone Oak. On 19 it just doesn't feel right to me.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

FS17 was the highlight of the series in my opinion. I'm still playing 19 and I think it had potential but Giants has taken a turn into making FS an eye candy project with multiplayer battle royale rather than a comprehensive farming simulator.

I used to carry the Giants torch saying "the next version will be better" and "it's still the best farming game out" but that has not been the case this time around. Horses, John Deere, prettier graphics, and weeds are all great and welcome additions but failed, in my opinion, at being worthy of a new release.

I almost didn't buy 19 and I will certainly not be buying 21. I've been enjoying the series for 8 years now.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

masneoquil wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:00 pm I'm still playing FS17.
I can't live without Courseplay

Neither can I. Even so, I have zero interest in FS17 anymore.

https://github.com/Courseplay/courseplay/releases