Ouch: Quite a game balance breaking exploit!

Illinois Farmer

Re: Ouch: Quite a game balance breaking exploit!

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Here's this scenario for you, irl I just bought a farm for 800,000 dollars or 10000/acre. Now the farmer has until December 1st to get his crops off, but if he doesn't technically I can harvest them (I won't cuz that would be bad), then I know other farmers that bought fields around that for 13000/acre that wasn't offered my piece. I bet I could turn that field and sell it to them for 13000 if I really wanted to. Therefore, I would have made a profit of 50000 dollars without even doing anything. Game breaking? Nah.

Edit: the problem in real life I won't get another chance to buy that piece of land and hopefully over the years make way more than 50000 dollars.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Frag

Post by Frag »

I am a bit puzzled.

A game is a set a rule that provide a challenge to attain a specific goal.

What if you could buy a trailer for 10k and sell it for 12k. You could simply buy/sell in loops to get rich and obtain all the high end machinery with no effort. Would you consider it a bug? This is the exact same thing. In my example, you buy a land for 125k and you sell it back for 145k with no risk whatsoever. The effort you put to harvest the field is minimal and will pay you like 10 times what you would have been paid to be contracted to do it. This is a serious money grabbing scheme.

I do realize that you do not need to use that exploit. But it does remain a full blown exploit as you are legitimately able to steal the crop of the AI player and generate tons of money doing as such. It is a bug for sure. Giants never addressed it and its fine. But it is not something that should be seen as a normal way to play and deserved to be pointed out as an issue.

The fix I proposed would make a lot of sense. Not because something is broken since the beginning that it should be considered as normal. Do not get me wrong, I am fine if you some want to keep it this way. But nobody will ever convince me that Giant did this on purpose.

Actually, as a one liner, the bug is that you do not pay for the value of the crop on the land ... and you can sell it.
Last edited by Frag on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois Farmer

Machinery loses value with wear tear vs land retains value. That's why buying land is a great investment not buying material objects. Plus, I do believe giants did this on purpose in way for console players to generate more money easier than just using the government subsidy mod. Especially since that mod didn't come out at the beginning of the game.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Soles2023

Post by Soles2023 »

For one this is hardly a "game breaking hack" that just ridiculous statement in and of itself. Secondly, the game has been out almost exactly a year and this was well know within the first couple weeks and has literally affected nothing. You create a discussion thread asking for feedback before posting in "tech-issues" and you still post it there anyways which tells me you're trying to stroke your own E-ego for some fake internet points. Honestly nobody cares about this (except for you apparently) as you can tell by the responses in this thread. Just don't do it....simple right? As was mentioned there is mods for money and silos to buy any crop you want and the game is still selling better than their previous titles which tells me the game isn't "ruined".
XB1/PC
Frag

Post by Frag »

Hey I pointed out a bug. Nothing else. It is like I would report "There are not cloud while it rains." and someone would answer "How somebody else like their sky while it rains doesn't affect you."

You may like the exploit, but it is a bug.

Giant can decide to ignore this, I don't really care. But I am pretty sure that the subject is worth being pointed out on the forum.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Frag wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 pmA game is a set a rule that provide a challenge to attain a specific goal.
Farming Simulator has never had a goal except for those you set for yourself. It's always been a game with millions of ways to play it, and yes, if you want to cheat then that option has always been available too (editing XML files, money mods, the in-built Development Console, etc).

The game-breaking bug as you describe it is just another means of an option to exploit the game as every version has had since FS2008, with the single exception that this one is available to console players from the start too.
Frag

Post by Frag »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:03 pm
Frag wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 pmA game is a set a rule that provide a challenge to attain a specific goal.
Farming Simulator has never had a goal except for those you set for yourself. It's always been a game with millions of ways to play it, and yes, if you want to cheat then that option has always been available too (editing XML files, money mods, the in-built Development Console, etc).

The game-breaking bug as you describe it is just another means of an option to exploit the game as every version has had since FS2008, with the single exception that this one is available to console players from the start too.
mmm interesting. Wondering if Giants ever gave their opinion on this specific thing. I wonder if they have that thing on their list, but on low priority. Or they did it by purpose. Would be interesting to get their view of it.

I just find weird that FS19 is so careful about balancing money stream to let that one pass. You can literally buy a land covered with hundreds of thousands of dollars in trees ... strip those out with for a HUGE profit ...than sell back the desolated land for the same price you paid for. Seems a bit big to get forgotten ...but well.
Soles2023

Post by Soles2023 »

Gav hit the nail on the head, the game is what you make it. And there's been things like this in almost every title of the FS series. I don't think anyone is trying to say its not a bug. It's just not the game breaking exploit you're making it out to be nor is it going to ruin the series. FS 15 you could place trees near the lumberyard and fell them for easy profit. FS17 you could place a BSM silo at the edge of contract field and steal the crops from those missions to sell for yourself. FS 19 you could create a MP game with multiple farms revert to SP and have millions. These were all options to make easy money if you wanted. If you didn't, you just didn't do it.
XB1/PC
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:03 pmFarming Simulator has never had a goal except for those you set for yourself
^^^ *thumbsup*
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Illinois Farmer

Frag, what do you think of lone oak? You get all the trees for free. That's millions of dollars just got free and for the taking.
Frag

Post by Frag »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 am Frag, what do you think of lone oak? You get all the trees for free. That's millions of dollars just got free and for the taking.
Did not try the map yet. Heard good of it though. How the system works? You can harvest the trees anywhere?
Illinois Farmer

Yes, you start off owning everything between the fields. I like the map. I just cut them with the trex because I don't like logging or not good at it, but you can make money in logging.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 am Yes, you start off owning everything between the fields. I like the map. I just cut them with the trex because I don't like logging or not good at it, but you can make money in logging.
Ha! That Trex is such a good mod. I've tried to get into logging but loading the logs on to trailers is such a pain in the neck!

As for field flipping, I never liked the idea and so, as many have already mentioned, I just don't do it. Simples!
Illinois Farmer

Yea I have used that trex so mod. It is my favorite mod at the moment.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

Valid point...buying and re selling material like fertilizer works the same way. You can just make money on flipping material.

I would also implement the way we can return machines...now I know its also possible in real life (is it actually?) but what not is to buy and return the same machine several times in a short period of time.

If I went to a car dealer and tried to return my car 5 times in a single day they would probably not like that :)