Fertilizing

Frick

Fertilizing

Post by Frick »

Hi guys
This may be a very stupid question, but why do we need to fertilize three times?
Why not just one time with the same result?
OlavEmil

Re: Fertilizing

Post by OlavEmil »

I believe it's only two times in FS19. It is because plants need refill of nutrition throughout their life syclus, just like you and I need to eat more than once between birth and death (at least if we want that period to last any significant amount of time).
Frick

Post by Frick »

OlavEmil wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 pm I believe it's only two times in FS19. It is because plants need refill of nutrition throughout their life syclus, just like you and I need to eat more than once between birth and death (at least if we want that period to last any significant amount of time).
Thank you, but I understand that. My question was why three times? Could it be one time or four times?
In my game there are three shades of blue for fertilizing, so I asume the best result will be if you get it as blue as you can, i.e. three times.
Or am I missing something?
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

When you use Seasons 19, each application of fertilizer only supplies 1/3 of the fertilizer need. Without Seasons 19, each application of fertilizer gives 1/2 of the fertilizer need. The crop yield will depend on the level of fertilizer application. So, if you only fertilize twice with Seasons enabled, you will get a reduced yield.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Frick

Post by Frick »

kahfs wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:33 pm When you use Seasons 19, each application of fertilizer only supplies 1/3 of the fertilizer need. Without Seasons 19, each application of fertilizer gives 1/2 of the fertilizer need. The crop yield will depend on the level of fertilizer application. So, if you only fertilize twice with Seasons enabled, you will get a reduced yield.
Thank you, but I understand that. But why many times? Or to put it another way, why have they decided that each application shall be 1/3, or 1/2, of the fertilizer needed? Could not one application be enough?
wombles

Post by wombles »

Frick wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 pm Thank you, but I understand that. But why many times? Or to put it another way, why have they decided that each application shall be 1/3, or 1/2, of the fertilizer needed? Could not one application be enough?
You don't have too fertilize fields/crops if you don't want too.
Frick

Post by Frick »

Of course not. But then my harvest will be less.
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

Because they're trying to be more realistic and that follows real life farming. If you don't care about being realistic, there are mods out there (at least for PC) that will increase crop yeild, etc.
Playing on PC
Frick

Post by Frick »

Phantoms wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:52 pm Because they're trying to be more realistic and that follows real life farming. If you don't care about being realistic, there are mods out there (at least for PC) that will increase crop yeild, etc.
In my part of Sweden, farmers fertilize one time and spray against weeds one time. I am sure they would fertilize more times if it was profitable.
So if you want the game to be more realistic, for me, perhaps I should be able to choose how many times fertilizing has to be done to get maximum yield. Also no farmer puts lime in the ground separately here, it is a part of the fertilizer if they need it because they can buy different types of fertilizer. With or without lime. Lime I can turn of in the game, so that is no problem for me. Of course if you use slurry or manure there is no lime in it.
I realize the way farmers operate are different in other parts of the world.
It is just a suggestion for a mod or future versions of the game.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Frick, if they haul liquid or solid manure that's a type of fertilizer. Plus, if they then spread solid fertilizer with lime that's another stage of fertilization. Then you said they spray once and spray for weeds. That's your third stage of fertilization. To me it sounds like they do 2 stages with possible 3. Here we haul anhydrous, which is a nitrogen, hence a stage of fertilization.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Frick

Post by Frick »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:43 pm Frick, if they haul liquid or solid manure that's a type of fertilizer. Plus, if they then spread solid fertilizer with lime that's another stage of fertilization. Then you said they spray once and spray for weeds. That's your third stage of fertilization. To me it sounds like they do 2 stages with possible 3. Here we haul anhydrous, which is a nitrogen, hence a stage of fertilization.
I am sorry if you do not understand me.
Farmers here either use fertilizer they buy OR slurry OR manure. OK? So one time a year!
Illinois Farmer

Alright so they spray liquid n spray for weeds then spread solid with lime built in. That's 2 times. Otherwise they are really depleting the resources in the ground and affected their yields.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

3 times is fine by me as in the UK it would be at least that many times and it would be more than one spray pass for weed control and pest control.
Illinois Farmer

Exactly. We have to spray 2 or 3 times for weeds, plus fungicide. We did spray insecticide this year on the beans and alfalfa.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

It's just the number giants chose. There's probably too many variations and so can't accommodate every region of the world.