mods and log file

rjiii88

mods and log file

Post by rjiii88 »

I have been contemplating on deleting all mods and reinstalling the ones that I use 100% of the time. If I delete all mods can I delete the log file as well or will this cause a problem for the game? I want to start over fresh and take my time only installing mods that I truly want to use. I have over 30-40 mods that I'm not interested in using anymore, plus their are some that get updates now and then.
Thanx in advance.
Have fun slingin' mud out in the fields!
Playing on PC, just your everyday FS player.
FS17/19 PC - FS16/18 Droid
Have fun slingin' dirt y-all :wink2:
P.S. Thanks to all the MODDERS out there! *thumbsup*
OlavEmil

Re: mods and log file

Post by OlavEmil »

The log file is overwritten every time you run the game.
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

It shouldnt cause any problems to delete the logfile.
Have fun and enjoy your fresh start
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

OlavEmil wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:00 pm The log file is overwritten every time you run the game.
Is it overwritten or added to? I was under the impression it's the later.

Either way, to the OP you can delete the log file anytime you want. It has no affect on the game and a new one will be created next time you launch FS19.
Playing on PC
rjiii88

Post by rjiii88 »

Thanks for the reply y-all.
Playing on PC, just your everyday FS player.
FS17/19 PC - FS16/18 Droid
Have fun slingin' dirt y-all :wink2:
P.S. Thanks to all the MODDERS out there! *thumbsup*
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

Phantoms wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:53 pm
OlavEmil wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:00 pm The log file is overwritten every time you run the game.
Is it overwritten or added to? I was under the impression it's the later.
It's the former. But yes, if you for any reason want to delete the logfile, you can do so with no issue at all.
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

That's not entirely correct.
Normally the log gets overwritten every time you start the game.
If you use the startup command '-restart' the log wont be reset =)
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

Alagos wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:06 am That's not entirely correct.
That must be why I was under the impression it's added to instead of overwritten.

I just occasionally manually erase it when I haven't been having any problems or if I want to add a new mod and see what happens to the log.
Playing on PC
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Alagos wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:06 am That's not entirely correct.
Tell us more about this "restart" command? Does it shorten load time?
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

It only removes the splash screens when starting the game.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

GenXFarmer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:14 pm Tell us more about this "restart" command? Does it shorten load time?
As Alagos says, it removes the splash screens for loading the game, so the game loads straight to the main menu. You need to do two things for it to work.

1) Ensure your game.xml file (C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2019\game.xml) has the line <startMode>1</startMode> in it. If startMode is set to another value, change it to 1. Save the file.

2) Amend the command settings for the game.
  • For the version downloaded from GIANTS and the DVD, you need to make a shortcut to the program. By default the location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Farming Simulator 2019\FarmingSimulator2019.exe. Right-click on it (FarmingSimulator2019.exe) and select Create Shortcut. Move the shortcut to the desktop. Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties and go to the end of the Target line. At the end add the following (including the dash):

Code: Select all

-restart
    Then click OK. Use this shortcut to the start the game.
  • If you have the game on Steam then right-click on it in Steam, click Properties, click on the Set Launch Options button, then add the same -restart command as above.
The game should now load straight to the start screen.

A simpler way to do this is to edit the shortcut/Steam Set Launch Options to add the command below, though it can cause other issues:

-autoStartSavegameId 20
Where "20" is the number of a savegame. This will load the game, skip the intro videos and start screen, and either load straight into a game (if there is a game of that number) or if there is no savegame 20 (or whatever you pick) then it will stay on the savegame screen, waiting for you to pick one.

You can also go back to the main menu to make changes. Note that this can make it difficult to change graphics settings (such as resolution) so it's probably best to keep the original shortcut for that.

Also note that if you go straight to start a new game, without choosing another savegame slot, then the game will automatically pick savegame 20 (or whichever number you chose). If you have a game of that number then to stop the game from using it you will have to remove the savegame or use the original shortcut (or choose the method above).

Edit: I used -autoStartSavegameId 0 on FS17, which obviously gives a savegame ID error, but it didn't work initially when FS19 was released but I've just tried it and it works fine again. That's a better choice for launching (unless you're actually wanting to auto-launch a savegame), as it doesn't mess around with existing games.

Note you can stack the following to either of the above methods to add more development controls, if you use them, however it will make the running speed of the player far greater:

-cheats
So on Steam it might look like this (cheats and restart command):

-cheats -restart
And on the DVD/GIANTS download version it might look like this (cheats and autoStartSavegameId command):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Farming Simulator 2019\FarmingSimulator2019.exe" -cheats -autoStartSavegameId 20
For more on enabling the development controls see here (ignore the bits after the spoiler).
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Thank you. :hi:
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.