How does Giants model so much equipment?

MrSquealypig

How does Giants model so much equipment?

Post by MrSquealypig »

Did you ever wonder how big budget car racing games sometimes can only have a handful of cars in-game, but Giants is able to include so many pieces of equipment that are way more complex than a car, with tons of moving parts, on the budget of a simulation game?

I wish they had more money to work with so they could add even more!
b101uk

Re: How does Giants model so much equipment?

Post by b101uk »

1: they started small.
2: they are the de facto trend setters in the specific segment.
3: their game is assessable and appealing to all age groups.
4: some large company's/corporations etc in agriculture are somewhat more pragmatic when it comes to brand use.
5: they are not pitching something of x brand being better at something of y or z brand - like in racing.
6: they have reached a stage that a major brand not being in FS may cause that brand to chuck money at Giants to be in it, else be very amenable to being approached by or even approaching Giants themselves - like JD.
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

It's much easier for Giants to add a piece of equipment to the game when the OEM provides CAD files versus a modder making them from scratch.
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
IowaFarmer34

Post by IowaFarmer34 »

GenXFarmer wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 pm It's much easier for Giants to add a piece of equipment to the game when the OEM provides CAD files versus a modder making them from scratch.

Ding ding ding!! Absolutely... I give major props to modders creating from scratch!
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

what of lizard then? don't worry.. ill see myself out :)
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:43 pm what of lizard then? don't worry.. ill see myself out :)
Lol
Is Lizard even a real company???
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Dairydeere wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 pm
Lol
Is Lizard even a real company???
Of course it is.....

viewtopic.php?f=876&t=145262
PrincessJessi84

Ritchie I had totally forgotten about that :lol: but no they aren't a real brand.. but that's where things get weird isn't it!? I mean.. there r new, unique Lizard items in every single edition of the game.. I am just trying to figure out where they get these CAD files from? I mean.. the impression I get from the above comments is, there is no way Giants could make models from scratch.. And based on the confidence these guys spoke with, we absolutely must believe them! So I am just waiting on them to tell us where Giants got all the CAD files to make those models? I GOT IT!!! They were donated by modders! Likely the same modders who left FS to go make cuttle and cups! There.. we don't need them after all.. I solved the mystery.. do I get a prize?
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

They don’t model all of their stuff. It gets contracted out to a different company.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
IowaFarmer34

Post by IowaFarmer34 »

Sure they model some stuff or contract it out but I know for a fact that they get stp files ( cad) from the major brands. Now they still have a lot of work to do even when they get the CAD.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Well ya of course they will have to get a 3D cad file from the company. Like you said a ton of work goes into it before it can be used in game.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Well clearly they made a deal with the devil.
PrincessJessi84

I wasn't trying to cause a huge debate or anything.. My only point is that we should always give credit where its due.. Idk if they contract people out for making models.. I don't see y they would but whateves.. I don't presume to be in the know on those things.. But assuming they don't do a ton of work on the models in this game (or the game itself to accommodate these models) isn't right at all.. I have the utmost respect for our modding community but acting like they are entirely responsible for the success of this game is just silly.. Giants have created the platform for them to develop and utilize their respective talents.. In the end a LOT of folks are responsible for bringing us this game in various ways that we have all clearly spent so many fun filled hours playing.. I say instead of debating on who has done what, we stand up and give them all a round of applause!
PC
2x 24" Dell Monitors
DeereJason

Post by DeereJason »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:25 am I wasn't trying to cause a huge debate or anything.. My only point is that we should always give credit where its due.. Idk if they contract people out for making models.. I don't see y they would but whateves.. I don't presume to be in the know on those things.. But assuming they don't do a ton of work on the models in this game (or the game itself to accommodate these models) isn't right at all.. I have the utmost respect for our modding community but acting like they are entirely responsible for the success of this game is just silly.. Giants have created the platform for them to develop and utilize their respective talents.. In the end a LOT of folks are responsible for bringing us this game in various ways that we have all clearly spent so many fun filled hours playing.. I say instead of debating on who has done what, we stand up and give them all a round of applause!
I certainly didn't see anything that would indicate a negative tone towards Giants. Things are what they are. If they contract work out, it's just part of the process. Its standard business practice for most companies. Companies can't always fill all labor requirements so it has to be made up somewhere.

Credit for the success of the game is widespread. The relationship between Giants and modders us symbiotic. One cannot exist without the other...but Giants (by far) is the greater beneficiary. Modders fill in the blanks and that makes the game much more appealing.

That said, I'm not going to kiss Giants' backside or that of anyone else to whom I pay money to. The funds I use to buy the game and buy the season pass are all the credit I need to give.
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

I would like to know how many items go through modelling without making it into the game? When I used to play racing car games, I was, admittedly briefly, in possession of a car that was scanned by the Gran Turismo game for the playstation. Not only was the car I'd taken to charity trackday, but also the demonstrator of the sports car I'd actually bought was also 3d scanned.

I knew 'my' cars was going to be in the game only to be sorely dissapointed that neither of them got in!

They were the Ginetta G27 I borrowed and G20 road going racecar I actually bought.