Best PC Mod Website

bojanh66

Re: Best PC Mod Website

Post by bojanh66 »

For me, their site loads instantly, like in 1 second.
But there are times when site will not load images, basically like its stuck during loading, so it will load text, but not icons and images, but this happens not so often.
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

Stryder87 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 pm Just out of curiosity, does no one use/like 'farmingsimulator19mods.com'? I get a lot from them and they seem pretty good. :hmm:
I do, as well as several of the other generic sites that show up when googling "FS19 mods". I primarily use them as "search engines", and then see if I can find the original link. However, it often turns out that the modder himself has used some useless hosting site himself (uploaded.net is common, for some completely unfathomable reason). In those cases, I have absolutely no second thoughts about downloading directly from the generic site instead. These sites often host the files directly on their site, or at least use good hosting sites.

These sites also have good filters, so you can actually specify what you are looking for.

Even though I must repeat that I do try to use the original download where this is possible, I honestly don't get the issue with re-uploaded mods (with the obvious exception of mods from the official ModHub, which are monetized by Giants). I have personally uploaded mods I have made myself directly to these generic sites earlier, and it works like a charm. They are also for the very most part perfectly good at crediting the modder. Besides, it's not like most (of any) modes use their real name anyways, so again, why does it even matter? Also, if anyone were to lose actual money because of such re-uploading (non-modhub mods) they are already in infringement with Giants' copyright.

This is a very unpopular opinion, though, or at least, there are some very vocal people who dislike these sites, so it's best not to bring them up at all.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Yesmods's front page loads instantly, however going to all the mods sometimes takes a few seconds. You only need to visit it once or twice a week anyway.

Perhaps it's based on a Wordpress or similar CMS using one of the many all-in-one pre-built themes. Those sort of themes work nicely for a low-usage site, however they're usually very inefficient, so when usage goes up the speed suffers.

It's fine for what it does though. A few seconds to load a list of search results isn't a problem.
Nordvarg

Post by Nordvarg »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:12 am Yesmods's front page loads instantly, however going to all the mods sometimes takes a few seconds. You only need to visit it once or twice a week anyway.

Perhaps it's based on a Wordpress or similar CMS using one of the many all-in-one pre-built themes. Those sort of themes work nicely for a low-usage site, however they're usually very inefficient, so when usage goes up the speed suffers.

It's fine for what it does though. A few seconds to load a list of search results isn't a problem.
Hi, I’m Erik, the guy who runs yesmods. Thank you very much for your kind words :hi:

Believe it or not, I actually made a mod for FS17 that made it into Giants’ modhub (a Penta trailer.) It puzzled me how fast it spread on various modsites, and how those sites stole the mod from Giants servers to put it up on pay-per-download hosts.

This is why I got involved with ym. Every fellow player I can send to the modder’s own link or to Giants official modhub is a win :wink3:
pitstop25 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:57 am
frankfarmer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 am I mainly just stick to modhub, but have used yesmods in the past, but recently, my computer goes incredibly slow whenever i'm on the site so I started to stay away unfortunately.
Glad it’s not just me having slow speed on yesmods. It’s like they have their server running on dial up or something. Not sure what’s going on tbh. It has been fine for forever and now it’s super slow. Hope it goes back to normal soon.
Oh, no. I’m very sorry about this. I can’t honestly say what’s going on (I'm not a techie.) I’ve contacted the server company and asked them to investigate. Hopefully, it’s an issue that can be resolved soon.
this_is_gav wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:12 amPerhaps it's based on a Wordpress or similar CMS using one of the many all-in-one pre-built themes. Those sort of themes work nicely for a low-usage site, however they're usually very inefficient, so when usage goes up the speed suffers.
@this_is_gav - Yes you are correct. The site runs on Wordpress. I agree Wordpress could have been faster, but it still should not have any problem tackling the modest amount of traffic the site gets. And I have to say WP has gotten much better over the years. Sites like Variety, MTV News, and the PlayStation blog are using it (highly optimized, of course) without hiccups.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Hi Erik, I don't think it's a critical problem. You'd probably need a decent VPS (more expensive and more expertise needed) to speed up the site significantly. The sites you mention will also hire a series of top developers to run a custom version of Wordpress, let alone a custom theme. Something unobtainable to most of us mere mortals. I used Wordpress to create websites at my previous job and it's fine for what you use it for.

You do an enviable job. Promoting and reviewing top mods was something I proposed for FS-UK to focus on when it's days a mod host dried up when GIANTS ModHub took off, however the guys owning the site weren't interested. To have a level of enthusiasm for the game to go out of the way to provide such a service is a credit to you guys, and posting original links only can only help the community. I was pleased GIANTS noted and referenced Yesmods in the build up to FS19's release too.

My only criticism is that you're overly focused on American mods, but it's a relatively minor criticism and frankly it's entirely up to you which mods you want to focus on.
Nordvarg

Post by Nordvarg »

Thank you, this_is_gav, for your kind words, your advice, and your feedback. Highly appreciated, all of it :smileynew:

Which mods I write about is definitely more random than planned. But yes, I totally understand what you are saying. There are so many mods I want to write about, and so little time, unfortunately…
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Here’s a new one that mixes news of upcoming mods and shares links to the actual modders pages where they release mods.

https://m.facebook.com/American-style-m ... =bookmarks
Reed Engineering

Post by Reed Engineering »

Nordvarg wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:26 am
this_is_gav wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:12 am Yesmods's front page loads instantly, however going to all the mods sometimes takes a few seconds. You only need to visit it once or twice a week anyway.

Hi, I’m Erik, the guy who runs yesmods. Thank you very much for your kind words :hi:

Believe it or not, I actually made a mod for FS17 that made it into Giants’ modhub (a Penta trailer.) It puzzled me how fast it spread on various modsites, and how those sites stole the mod from Giants servers to put it up on pay-per-download hosts.

This is why I got involved with ym. Every fellow player I can send to the modder’s own link or to Giants official modhub is a win :wink3:
frankfarmer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 am I mainly just stick to modhub, but have used yesmods in the past, but recently, my computer goes incredibly slow whenever i'm on the site so I started to stay away unfortunately.
Glad it’s not just me having slow speed on yesmods. It’s like they have their server running on dial up or something. Not sure what’s going on tbh. It has been fine for forever and now it’s super slow. Hope it goes back to normal soon.
Oh, no. I’m very sorry about this. I can’t honestly say what’s going on (I'm not a techie.) I’ve contacted the server company and asked them to investigate. Hopefully, it’s an issue that can be resolved soon.
this_is_gav wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:12 amPerhaps it's based on a Wordpress or similar CMS using one of the many all-in-one pre-built themes. Those sort of themes work nicely for a low-usage site, however they're usually very inefficient, so when usage goes up the speed suffers.
@this_is_gav - Yes you are correct. The site runs on Wordpress. I agree Wordpress could have been faster, but it still should not have any problem tackling the modest amount of traffic the site gets. And I have to say WP has gotten much better over the years. Sites like Variety, MTV News, and the PlayStation blog are using it (highly optimized, of course) without hiccups.
Oh cool 😀 nice to meet you Erik nice to meet you bud. Maybe you the site is slow because you are now running a site that is the go to place outside of giants mod hub. I love yesmods. It's a fantastic site, super clean easy to get around on and the reviews you do are on another level. Huge respect from me bud and I hope you just grow and grow 😀😀😀
Pc Player
My FaceBook Page WMRmodding
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

I'll just add that I have never had any problems with Yesmods being slow, not in the past, not recently and not right now *thumbsup* .
Norwegian_Nut

Post by Norwegian_Nut »

Yesmods runs just fine for me. Exelent site and a lot of good mods easy to navigate and good info on the mods. Higly recomended
Last edited by Norwegian_Nut on Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reed Engineering

Yeah it's working a full speed again today so it's all good. Must have just been a 24hour thing. Maybe the server had the Monday blues lol.
Pc Player
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

yesmods was down for me too, probably maintenance or a ddos attack.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Nordvarg

Post by Nordvarg »

WMRmodding wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:43 pmOh cool 😀 nice to meet you Erik nice to meet you bud. Maybe you the site is slow because you are now running a site that is the go to place outside of giants mod hub. I love yesmods. It's a fantastic site, super clean easy to get around on and the reviews you do are on another level. Huge respect from me bud and I hope you just grow and grow 😀😀😀
Nice to meet you, as well :) And thanks for the inspiring words. Much appreciated.

Your initial post made me investigate. And you're right, there are periodically slowdowns. These will hopefully be resolved in a week or two. Thanks for making me aware of it.
Reed Engineering

No problem at all buddy. Glad you have seen something going on. Yeah hopefully all will be good again soon. The joy of websites lol
Pc Player
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Nordvarg wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:26 am

Nice to meet you, Erik!
I've been reading the suggestions on this thread for a bit now, and I was genuinely impressed when I followed a suggestion to your website. It is absolutely amazing when I looked through. The organization is wonderful, and I hope to use your site if I get a Farming Simulator for PC. Slightly off-topic, but what methods did you use to create that website? I am actually in the process of creating a website myself with a group of friends, and this is my first time. Any tips or advice? I appreciate any suggestions. :biggrin2:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!