How you choose your map

Barrcott

How you choose your map

Post by Barrcott »

I know there's other posts on favorites & sizes but how do you pick your map ?

I turned on my console last night & didn't turn a wheel for nearly an hour & a half just installing & looking for the next prospective adventure , in that time I still couldn't decide .

So the question is have you a story you want to pursue ? Dictated by the size of the kit you want to use ? Where certain sell points & dealer's yard is ? & After choosing, how long do you give the map before you decide to keep going or bin it ?
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
chedly_farms

Re: How you choose your map

Post by chedly_farms »

I choose a map by a few criteria.

Number one being, does this map/terrain look real enough for me to get "lost" in it? Does it feel real? Is this a map I can play on/in and get a sense like I actually live there. How are the roads, they need to look real, no flat colors will do. Is the terrain, rolling and have elevation or is it flat. Too much elevation causes problems with machine power, to flat is very borings. And Is the map organic feeling so to speak? It can feel to blocky or computer made. Also as to trees and bushes, foliage is key for me. Don't duplicate the same tree and put 30 of them beside each other.

Number two, will working the fields get boring? I don't hire workers. So working fields can't be boring. Not too big or too small. Can I work it with 6 meter equipment and not take more than 2 hours to work the field. I also like odd shaped fields with good views. And by good views, all I simply mean is are they unique? On Marwell you get a nice mix of tree lines and fields in different stages that provide nice colors. So to repeat above, Foliage is key for me.

Number three, what's the animal barns/silage pit situation. I like doing silage, so having cows is very important. Does the cow barn(s) look real enough for me? Most do, so this isn't an issue. Also I need a nice silage pit, possibly two or at least a place to put a second or third. I like having separate pits for grass and corn silage if possible.

There are probably more things, but these are most important.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

Kinda like said above, I choose maps that fit close to resemblance to where I'm at which is northwest Ohio. Large fields, large farm yard area and how the terrain and roads look. I have downloaded several maps just to check them out and see...lots of awesome maps and look great but just not for me. I enjoy the larger machines and equipment so I need room for those
Vondeylen Farms Ohio, U.S.
1000 acres, family farm, huge Case IH guy(however mostly John Deere now)

Platform-PS5
Welker Farms over 1000hrs
Onto FS22!
Large JD Farm with corn and soybeans always looking for multiplayer
https://www.youtube.com/user/vondeylen22
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

My general criteria basically in order. The example maps are an example, but that doesn't mean the criteria is the only issue I have with the map.

1) Does the map have some roll to the terrain or is it super flat? I hate flat maps as they look unnatural (see Welker Farms)
2) How chopped up is the map by map objects such as wood piles, fixed roads, deer stands, random buildings, fences and junk in general (see Ravenport)
3) Is all the land on the map except the town purchasable (see Old Steam Farm)
4) Are the roads too narrow and/or are the sell points excessively far from the map center (see Geiselsberg)
5) Does the map have buried trees that I can't remove without using the Giants Editor (see Lone Oak)
6) Does the map force the player into a certain starting position or not? Can I rework that starting area to my preference or are all the buildings fixed and thus it's a "play my way" not play "your way" map. (see Marwell Manor)
7) Are the fields out of square enough that courseplay can't handle them (see County Line)

Maps I've liked:

- Felsburnn
- Midwest Horizon
- Old Timers Farm
- Grizzly Mountain
- Old Farm Countryside

Maps I basically have only 1 issue with:

- Lone Oak, too many buried trees
- Babrosty, dirt roads are actually placed road objects and thus can't be removed.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I've been playing long enough I can usually tell within 10 min of driving around a map if I am going to like it or not.
If it is to small and crowded or looks like a video game its a hard no.
If it passes that I will give it an evening or two to try, if it feels like the map is going to be frustrating I punt it and move on. Typically if it gets past the 6-10 hour mark I will put hundreds of hours on it.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

bossmanslim wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:09 pm 1) Does the map have some roll to the terrain or is it super flat? I hate flat maps as they look unnatural (see Welker Farms)
For what it's worth Welker Farms map is pretty accurate to reality. There is a reason Montana speed limits were “reasonable and prudent" for the longest time lol.

Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:37 pm
bossmanslim wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:09 pm 1) Does the map have some roll to the terrain or is it super flat? I hate flat maps as they look unnatural (see Welker Farms)
For what it's worth Welker Farms map is pretty accurate to reality. There is a reason Montana speed limits were “reasonable and prudent" for the longest time lol.
It's not as flat as portrayed in the map.

Odoyle rules

Post by Odoyle rules »

Yeah I’m also on the same page as above but playing on Xbox one I also look for slot counts, the more slots the more variety of vehicles and machinery, I like hagenstedt or how ever you spell it I liked the map then sold everything and it brought the slot count down to 257 so I had 1150 ish slots to work with and I’ve developed a perfect logging/contracting business, with a little help from some landscaping and painting here and there it’s great. I have created a quarry and job sites with various tasks to suit an earth works contractor and I couldn’t be happier
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

My only rule is the map has to support Seasons: at least the trees and foliage do, I can do a Seasons mask if I have to.

Things I like on a map:
1. FS19 placable animal husbandry - works best with Seasons
2. "Real feel" natural shaped fields, preferably right up to the hedge line.
3. Consistent theme and style - US flags on US maps, German buildings on German maps, UK street signs on UK maps etc.
4. Collisions on hedges, pylons and poles etc.
5. Some variation is elevation (but not huge mountains)
6. Local world - town/village to "place" the farm and help generate story.

Things that put me off:
a. Decoration-only buildings - barns where you can't get in.
b. Massive, out of scale buildings - barns/sheds for 100 tractors on a tiny farm
c. Everything arranged East/West or North/South ... some things have to be but.
d. No multi-terrain angle - fixable but just another task
e. No old-style Field defs
f. geeky one - lack of organisation in the .i3d because that just makes my tweaks harder
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
TaintedBlackCat

Post by TaintedBlackCat »

No boring ground textures. Not a fan of farm yards that have 4 hectares of perfectly clean, undamaged, brand new looking concrete or tiles.

Map must have good options for paintable textures in landscaping mode. Minibrunn has paintable weeds and bushes. Meadow Grove has some neat custom textures too.

It's a must for me, definitely realistic looking ground textures is in my top requirements.

Thanks for reading 😸😸😸
I'm not perfect..but I'm Australian, and that's pretty damn close!!🐈 . Ex Royal Australian Navy sailor. Moved to New Zealand recently to dairy farm in New Zealand. 600 milking cows. Running old Duetz Fahr Agrostar 6.61
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

If it's a seasons map I look for lots to do away from my own fields ie; contracts or forestry otherwise I tend to run-out of things to do.
I like either a very small tight map for small to medium vehicles or a logging only map that i can expand into farming. This was tricky on Xbox but not an issue on pc.
Favourite maps so far are Holmakra and Medaow Grove.
I like Ravenport because it was my first FS mal but I don't play it very often. Keep meaning to try it with seasons.