Yesmods! All it's cracked up to be?

OlavEmil

Re: Yesmods! All it's cracked up to be?

Post by OlavEmil »

Chef93 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:03 pm So here is a question I have been wondering about. Do mod authors who release their mods on sites that have malware deserve respect? And this question comes from a mod author (for other games). All of my stuff has been released on a site that is incredibly strict about clean files and a clean site. I'm just not sure of the amount of respect required to knowingly infect my PC with malware or viruses.
This is exactly the reason why I don't mind sites that reupload people's mods to their own site, with proper credits but without original link. And this also comes from someone who has released the occasional mod to various games through the years (and who has never minded those mods reappearing on other sites with my name attached to them).
frankfarmer

Post by frankfarmer »

Thanks to everyone who's commented on my thread.

So which hosting sites would you guys class as 'good'?
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

the official mod hub, the direct download from many modding groups (ls-modcompany and americaneaglesmodding as example).
With ublock origin (free adblocker for firefox) i can use basically all one-click hoster, like workupload or share-mods without any adds or pop-ups.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
frankfarmer

Post by frankfarmer »

On my PC I run BullGaurd antivirus, should this not protect me?
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

AV programms usally just check downloaded files for a few specific behaviour. Some programs are whitelisted to do their job, like most programs you run (browser, games, office programs and the like).
But If you activate malicious content in your browser on your own, the AV program can't help you. That's what adblocker are there for, as they remove unneeded content from most websites.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Chef93

Post by Chef93 »

frankfarmer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 am Thanks to everyone who's commented on my thread.

So which hosting sites would you guys class as 'good'?
I know Nexus is good. 1.5 billion downloads for the original version of Skyrim alone says something.