Redeeming Ravenport.

SJ_Sathanas

Redeeming Ravenport.

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I think it's fair to say Ravenport wasn't very well received by a lot of players but I enjoyed it as my first ever FS map. Even though the starting farm is very flawed (expensive land with very limited potential to expand upon) i still feel compelled to go back and see if I can do something with it.

Has anyone done anything interesting with Ravenport? I'd like to see what other people have done with it.
Illinois Farmer

Re: Redeeming Ravenport.

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I exchanged the 2 starting field together. Cut trees around that 3rd one and expand that one. Put a second farm with all my animals on fields 21 and 22 (numbers might be off. Haven't played it in awhile), then the fields north of the starting area, I put those all together. Then the biggest field by the animal dealer I put that one, plus the 2 to the right all together to make one giant field. Then I quit playing soon after that. Also i made a grass field south of the shop area.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

i've played a majority of the time on Ravenport, I think it has a lot more attention to detail than felsburn. It has a few great fields, which single player, you really don't have the time for too many huge fields in my way of playing. I immediately sell the farm (or don't buy it), and buy the small fields under the mission. Just starting out I usually buy fields one at a time and harvest them and then sell them, its a quick way to get enough to buy the bigger field just north of bioplant. Eventually I combine the huge field (field 7 i think) with the two or 4 to the east of it, plant cotton and sit back. one cotton harvest is like 750k i think. i don't think you can make a field that big in felsburn.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

I prefer to build my farm on the off-shaped fields like 13-16, as it makes a better looking farm in my opinion. I build my animal farm on 13-16 and eventually, when i buy the bioplant I build a bigger one for equipment in the area just west of the bioplant.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Still playing the vanilla maps! This must be the saddest topic ever!
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Lol yes maybe, though it's more a little side project. I also have farms on Holmakra (for placeables and big machines) and Shamrock Valley (small machines).
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

I built a whole new farm with 3 large cow pastures, I still play it as it took me nearly 4 days to build it just 2 weeks ago on Xbox, I’d show you if I could but you would have to join Fsclub from pc or Xbox
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

I am just starting Lone Oak and Grizzly mountain, i finished Ravenport a few weeks ago. I decided to take another stab at logging since i heard the physics has been redone, and there are better equipment options (console). But i wouldn't count Ravenport totally out, it is a great map.
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

j_maybury wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 pm Still playing the vanilla maps! This must be the saddest topic ever!
Ravenport was a good map to build your own farm because you had a lot more slots to play with until the release of Greenwich, I believe Sussex is even better for slot count
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
Barrcott

Post by Barrcott »

Funnily enough I've never played it been on it tonnage a mooch around but never actually settled in to start farming , was on FSc15 for years & maybe Woodbridge. ? Put me off the larger sized prairie type fields , unseen I seen to have a mental block on lone Oak & welker to & DAHL is a complete nonnstarter. Maybe it's worth another try sometime
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I wanted to like Ravenport. By far the most detailed and scenic base game map to date. It just doesn't play well for me. Felsbrunn plays much better. I had almost 100 hours on Felsbrunn before I moved to Marwell and have been there since.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
livesea72

Post by livesea72 »

I have about 180 hours on my ravenport save. I bought fields 6 and 12 and was running a successful dairy farm with over 300 cows.
FS13 xbox360/ FS15 ps4/xbox one/ FS17 xbox one/ps4pro platinum trophy /FS19 ps4pro platinum trophy/ FS 22 PC
dunnjob

Post by dunnjob »

I have about 200 hours on Ravenport before abandoning it for something else. It took me a while to get used to the lay out on it. I wanted to like it, but ultimately felt it was a little blah.

I have a second save on it as my test map. Cheated a boat load of money on it so I can buy and test out new mods before injecting them into my real farm.
We are all ignorant, we are all just ignorant about different things.

Recent convert to PC on FS19
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I use Ravenport ALL the time.

...for testing mods when I feel it is warranted.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

I played this map until marwell came out ( about 100 hrs), then haven't been back.

however to the OP, I started on new farmer, sold everything as the money you have tied up in land vs what is actually farmable was a pretty bad ratio. I then bought the largest field (8? if I remember correctly). then built up from there, I did no landscaping or placing of any buildings, I used the southern rail way silo as mine and parked all my equipment around it and in its parking area. I typically play with a minimal equipment type farm when I stopped this map I only had 2 tractors, harvester, and grass equipment and few other bits. My big save from FS 17 (450hrs) only had 4 tractors, one of which was a starting tractor and the latest one only had a few hours on it as I had just gotten it.

I always thought going to the top of the map where the grass field on the left side was would be a good spot to build up from but never actually did it. as the land to dollar ratio was pretty good, compared to all the areas in the southern part of the map.