Thoughts on more wrapped bales

Who thinks more wrapped bales should be added to FS?

Yeah! Wrapped straw and haylage would be awesome to have in FS!
52%
Wrap-able straw would be a nice addition!
2%
Haylage would be a nice addition!
12%
Nah, I'm good with the current system.
34%

Total votes: 92

CattleMan

Re: Thoughts on more wrapped bales

Post by CattleMan »

Straw bales are often wrapped by farmers that dont have the inside storage available for them IRL.

And technically it is possible to ferment straw into a kind of silage... It requires adding an innoculant and moisture to the straw just as it is wrapped, then periodically ammonia is injected into the wrapped straw to aid in the fermentation process... All in all it is very impractical, as the amount of nutrient gain available to the consuming animal is very minimal for the cost of production.

Wrapped straw bales also dont attract as many mice... Which can be a huge problem for farmers.
Ride the wind and shoot the stars. Why chase your dreams when you can live them?
Perbjorkhem

Post by Perbjorkhem »

Haylage works good for sheep. I used to feed my sheep with haylage all winter. Very nice to work with, smells nice and not so heavy as the round, silage bales.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

chedly_farms wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:31 am After corn harvest some farmers will take a rotary mower and mow down the remaining stalk. Then go thru and windrow them and bale that for cow/cattle bedding.
Apparently, the new modest horizon map you can bale corn stalks now. Unfortunately that isn't and won't come to console this year, but still is cool someone is implementing it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Nilt

Post by Nilt »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:16 pm
chedly_farms wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:31 am After corn harvest some farmers will take a rotary mower and mow down the remaining stalk. Then go thru and windrow them and bale that for cow/cattle bedding.
Apparently, the new modest horizon map you can bale corn stalks now. Unfortunately that isn't and won't come to console this year, but still is cool someone is implementing it.
Oh, is that what I was supposed to do with the corn stalks? I couldn't figure it out when I started this map the other day and didn't bother looking it up. Still getting myself set up but I'm liking this map!
Illinois Farmer

Very common practice around here for bedding cattle.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:41 am Very common practice around here for bedding cattle.
How much stover per acre would you expect to bale behind a 200-bushel corn crop? 3 ton? I've never harvested corn but all of it that I've ever seen looks like a mountain of straw.

When I lived in the UK a long time ago we expected 2.5 ton per acre of wheat straw, from the part of the rotation that was baled. For this dryland prairie boy that seemed like an awful lot :lol:
Illinois Farmer

I honestly don't know. Some guys, combine it normally, then rake n bale. Some combine, mow, then rake n bale. I think each method would affect. When we bale our wheat, we don't even keep track of the tons. We just count how many we have.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I don’t know much about straw because we buy all our straw. I’ve only been out for wheat harvest a few times, but most I’ve seen bale it right after the combine, and even one where the baler was attached to the combine. We don’t wrap any silage, we put it all in an open pit that is compacted with a tractor. Same thing with our alfalfa haylage. All I see of wrapped bales are some “marshmallows” :wink3: in the NW corner of our state.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:27 pm I honestly don't know. Some guys, combine it normally, then rake n bale. Some combine, mow, then rake n bale. I think each method would affect. When we bale our wheat, we don't even keep track of the tons. We just count how many we have.
Do you run the chopper on the combine when you're harvesting corn? i.e. would you chop and spread corn straw, and then rake it before baling?
Illinois Farmer

Yes because it helps cut up the stalk.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:29 pm Yes because it helps cut up the stalk.
I should have said that I meant specifically when you are planning to bale the stover. You still chop that first, or do you just drop it without chopping like you would if baling wheat straw? Are corn stalks too long to bale without chopping?
Illinois Farmer

The ones I have seen is you chop it like you would normally when combining corn. That's why people rake it to create a windrow.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

The chopper on the combine doesn't chop up the residue. The only things that should come out of the combine are the cobs and the husks. It is the corn head that chops up the actual plant.
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

You could indeed wrap hay in 17 on base game, it would turn into silage. It usually, however, was not worth it. Unless you were already making hay or a map gave you a wrapper at the start, it wasn't worth the effort. All silage was the same so "haylage" wouldn't bring you extra money. Sheep could just eat grass and you could already wrap grass bales for silage bales to feed cows with less work and equipment, so rarely was it worth it unless you fit it into a role play, or like me just wanted to try it out.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs