Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

AgriJock

Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by AgriJock »

Hello all jolly virtual farmers.

So I've been playing fs games for ages, have played hours and hours of 17 and didn't see much point in getting 19 when it came out as they are normally riddled with issues and for the money I didn't think it offered much more than 17. Well, my wife bought me 19 for xmas (Xbox) as a surprise, platinum edition with the claas dlc, what a great present, I couldn't wait to play it!

However, I feel disappointed, it's early days and I haven't tried all the new features yet but it doesn't feel like a step forwards, or even that different at all. What on earth have they done to the sounds of the tractor engines and machinery by the way? They sound awful, really flat, I'm an ex agricultural technician for new holland and I can tell you that even tractors with cvt transmissions sound nothing like that! The sounds in 17 were much better, and I was hoping they would improve on that and maybe have some gear shifts, or power shift noises, big diesels don't rev much but they do sound good, these noises are terrible and I never realised how much it adds to the gameplay, I'm struggling to get immersed into the game now.

Bale mechanics seem better, not tried multiplayer yet, which used to suffer from a stuttering issue in 17 but I've already had stuttering issues in career mode so I'm not hopeful. There's more equipment and mods.

Chainsaws, I love doing forestry, but why with a console controller aren't we using the trigger to control the throttle like a real saw, it's really clunky pressing a button and going to max rpm.

The AI drivers haven't improved, you still can't trust them to do a job properly, I was hoping for seasons to be built in, things like follow me and stuff to be built into the game too.

I could go on....anyone else feel a bit let down? 17 was such a massive step up over 15 I think I was expecting the same jump.
Illinois Farmer

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by Illinois Farmer »

AgriJock wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 pm Chainsaws, I love doing forestry, but why with a console controller aren't we using the trigger to control the throttle like a real saw, it's really clunky pressing a button and going to max rpm.

The AI drivers haven't improved, you still can't trust them to do a job properly, I was hoping for seasons to be built in, things like follow me and stuff to be built into the game too.

I could go on....anyone else feel a bit let down? 17 was such a massive step up over 15 I think I was expecting the same jump.
First, the chainsaw controls are the same for 17 as it is on 19 for console. Also, seasons is out now for console. I don't except 21 to have follow me mod or seasons built into the game either. Did you play 17 on pc?
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Phigo

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by Phigo »

With all those questions, you will get mixed reactions. I am not disappointed. Playing since day one. If you would know, what the changes would've been some of your expectations would be that way. There was no word of follow me or seasons implemented. If you prepare a field (which is not oddly shaped) correct the AI is a good help for the most of the tasks it will be given.

I am not disappointed. I see a good step forward. But on the other hand - there seem to be some issues regarding the sound (I don't care much about but many others do - so it should be something Giants look into coming FS21). But the positive sides of the game weighing heavier. So I like it and would never take a step back to fs17.
PS4 und PC
AgriJock

Post by AgriJock »

I never said chainsaw controls are different from 17, I’m well aware they are the same.

I said why don’t we use the trigger for the throttle, like the vehicles.
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

Traditionally, every second FS release is a feature focused release, and the others are graphics focused releases. FS19 is a graphics focused release, and offers a huge step forward in graphics from FS17/15. FS17 looked identical to FS15, but offered a variety of new features, including forestry. FS15, on the other hand, has very little new to show compared to FS13 apart from a total overhaul of looks and graphics.

I expect FS21 to look the same as FS19, but offer new and exciting features to the series.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Both games have their pros and cons when compared to each other. The biggest issue for me on 19 is maps. Maps that were made for 17 and then reworked for 19 don't look good on 19. The lighting engine for 19 is nice when it comes to machinery and realism, but the default lighting can get washed out in a horrible way on maps with default lighting. Certain maps tweaked the lighting and look way better. The engine sounds aren't better than 17, but after a year, I'm used to them. Painting ground and terraforming is real nice to make certain things happen on maps. All in all, I try to play 17, but the missing features that are on 19, make 17 feel inferior. My 2 cents.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

I agree with you AgriJock, FS 19 is reskinned FS 17 with a bit improved vehicle physics, added lime , weeds, horses.
Nothing spectacular, ground physics is still like from 10 years ago and game engine is not optimized very good, thats why you have stuttering.
But with all these flaws, i still rather play FS 19 than FS 17, because there is nothing better at the market atm (khm khm C.a.t.t.l.e and C.r.o.p.s)
wombles

Post by wombles »

I suppose it's like every thing in life OP, pluses and negatives. FS19 added a few things to the Animals that made FS17 unplayable for me, and with the improvements that Realismus has done with seasons there's not a hope of me going back too FS17, but that's only my opinion. Each too their own and all that.

Oh and if you think the sounds in FS19 are bad, go play Ghost Recon Breakpoint. They are that bad the players on Ubisoft forums are starting too think they are getting trolled by Ubisoft with the in game sounds :lol: .
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

For all people that want tractors to sounds realistic, try this mod, its way better than default sounds:
https://www.modhoster.com/mods/besserer-sound
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

AgriJock wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 pm Hello all jolly virtual farmers.

So I've been playing fs games for ages, have played hours and hours of 17 and didn't see much point in getting 19 when it came out as they are normally riddled with issues and for the money I didn't think it offered much more than 17. Well, my wife bought me 19 for xmas (Xbox) as a surprise, platinum edition with the claas dlc, what a great present, I couldn't wait to play it!

However, I feel disappointed, it's early days and I haven't tried all the new features yet but it doesn't feel like a step forwards, or even that different at all. What on earth have they done to the sounds of the tractor engines and machinery by the way? They sound awful, really flat, I'm an ex agricultural technician for new holland and I can tell you that even tractors with cvt transmissions sound nothing like that! The sounds in 17 were much better, and I was hoping they would improve on that and maybe have some gear shifts, or power shift noises, big diesels don't rev much but they do sound good, these noises are terrible and I never realised how much it adds to the gameplay, I'm struggling to get immersed into the game now.

Bale mechanics seem better, not tried multiplayer yet, which used to suffer from a stuttering issue in 17 but I've already had stuttering issues in career mode so I'm not hopeful. There's more equipment and mods.

Chainsaws, I love doing forestry, but why with a console controller aren't we using the trigger to control the throttle like a real saw, it's really clunky pressing a button and going to max rpm.

Your not alone at all.

Plenty of players were and are still massively disappointed with Fs19.

It definitely depends what matters to you individually with the game.

For me the vehicle sounds are not just bad they are broken, when you take into account GIANTS pulled the gearbox feature late in development and the sounds would have been developed around that feature it makes sense why they are broken. For some players they don't care about that. Probably for people who work around agricultural machinery it is far more annoying.

The new graphics are more technically advanced, but the actual balance of lighting, colour saturation, contrast etc, personally I think looks awful. It does not suit a Farming Simulator game at all. Again to some it seems a massive step up from 17 so they can ignore the flaws in it. It does depend what you played on 17. Many maps still used default 17 lighting which wasn't great either. So going from default to default it would seem a much bigger improvement.

If your a console player I would say your far more likely to enjoy 19... if your a PC player and are used to having customised your playing experience heavily in 17 at best you will find it "different", at worst you'll go back to 17.

It really depends what parts of the game really matter to you.

Personally I'm amazed at the the things some players on here can ignore and not let it destroy their enjoyment of the game.
Vice versa many of the forum members seem to think the stuff myself and others complain about is not important.

Neither opinion is wrong... it's just different.

Just play what you enjoy the most.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
wombles

Post by wombles »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:49 pm
It really depends what parts of the game really matter to you.

Personally I'm amazed at the the things some players on here can ignore and not let it destroy their enjoyment of the game.
Vice versa many of the forum members seem to think the stuff myself and others complain about is not important.

Neither opinion is wrong... it's just different.

Just play what you enjoy the most.
Wouldn't say that Bill, I do see where your coming from and wouldn't argue with you about it as I too can see the problems you talk about. I suppose we all have different tolerance when it boils down too it, bit like my snoring at night, doesn't annoy me but drives my wife mad :lol: .
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

bojanh66 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:57 pm For all people that want tractors to sounds realistic, try this mod, its way better than default sounds:
https://www.modhoster.com/mods/besserer-sound
While some of the sounds are OK, it's gives off errors now (presumably as one of the subsequent patches replaced the soundTemplates.xml) and somehow the sound of driving over grass and fields is louder than the engine of the tractor.

If you had these sounds installed before the patch then after the patch it will have zero effect.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

It shouldnt be like that.
I think i installed them after patch 1.5.1, because i did fresh installation of game and to me, they sounds better than default sounds and i dont have any errors in log regarding this mod. Tractors have really throaty sound, especially JD 6,7 and 8R, new hollands, big steyr and some others.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

No, you're not alone in this sentiment.

19 has some improvements. Sounds, lighting, and especially shadows, are not among them. They are markedly worse than 17 IMO, as has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum over the past year. There is some subjectivity in this statement of course, and some disagree with me, and that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone.

Also in my opinion vehicle physics and driving in general are a lot worse. Granted I am not making this comparison on a level playing field. In 17 I use MR and Gearbox and Ground Response, which combined make the driving experience super fun. So I'm comparing a modded experience with the base game in 19, which I agree is not apples to apples. But they're the apples I have collected and polished compared to the new mango that's available, and I prefer the apples (very significantly prefer).

The new contract system is much much better than in 17. Buying land in complete parcels rather than just the cultivated fields is a realistic improvement, along with only having mowing and timber rights on your own land rather than the rampant grass and timber piracy of 17. Having to purchase the biogas plant in order to sell there, though, is crazy. Weeds and herbicide were a great idea but implemented in a very weird way. Lime is a good idea but again pretty arbitrary. Horses are a neat idea but again implemented in a weird and fairly boring way. The changes to ploughing requirements is arbitrary and not a net improvement.

Seasons 19 is extraordinary. As in fabulous. Seasons 17 was awesome but 19 takes it to a whole new level. But that's sort of a different discussion.

Of course I've still bought multiple copies of 19 :lol: and I even play it occasionally. But I significantly prefer 17. I feel pretty much like I am paying an annual subscription at this juncture to finance the developer to keep slowly implementing the improvements that the community is asking for (and fix the bugs and steps backward in the implementation, which seems to take as long as the development). When enough improvements are implemented I'll install whichever new version that is sitting on my shelf collecting dust with the other new versions I've bought and don't like. I don't mind doing this because I'm pretty much a lifer and I have many many hours of enjoying 17 still ahead of me. At this point I'm hoping/thinking that 21 will resolve most of what I don't like in 19 and I'll just skip 19. But maybe it won't. Until then I'll keep playing 17 *thumbsup*
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

bojanh66 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:08 pm It shouldnt be like that.
I think i installed them after patch 1.5.1, because i did fresh installation of game and to me, they sounds better than default sounds and i dont have any errors in log regarding this mod. Tractors have really throaty sound, especially JD 6,7 and 8R, new hollands, big steyr and some others.
I've just checked and if you don't have errors then you've either not added the soundTemplates.xml, corrected the soundTemplates.xml or an update has overwritten it. The patch has an incorrect path for the asphalt_ext_04.ogg file; with the path listed as data/sounds/vehicles/surfaces in the XML, but the file is actually in data/sounds/surfaces.

The sound patch doesn't overwrite any files other than XML file, so without the correct XML it has no effect.

I also tested the patch with 1.4.1 to see if that made a difference to the grass/ground sounds (thinking perhaps it was adjusting an existing sound which was replaced in 1.5, as it surely it wasn't meant to sound like that) but it was just as hideous. Looking at the XML it does use the default sounds for some of the ground sounds but with the parameters changed dramatically.

Anyway, the OP is a console user, so this is of no use to them.