Black Smoke

Dagrump

Black Smoke

Post by Dagrump »

I know the black smoke that many tractor and truck mods pump out do not effect the game play but I don't think it is completely realistic. If a farmer is running a $500,000 tractor and it is pumping out black smoke he is likely going to have his tractor in the repair shop. Black smoke is an indicater of too much air in the fuel to air mixture ration according to Cummings.

I have tried several mods of various brands of tractors and for me it really distracts from the quality of the mod.

Anyone else find this distracting?
Farming with a Dell PC on Maps:
FS17: Loan Oaks Farm and Western Shore
FS19: Upper Mississippi River Valley, Bucks County, Pa, Huron County Michigan
FS22 Back Roads County, Stone Valley 22, Green Valley Nebraska and Huron County Michigan
Illinois Farmer

Re: Black Smoke

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Older tractors have more black smoke than the newer ones.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dagrump

Post by Dagrump »

I am sure that is the case but I don't think it would be expected on a new or nearly new tractor. What prompted my post is I just down loaded some JD tractor mods and the exhaust was excessive and black. This was from a couple first class modders. My experience is more from the marine world where the black or blue smoke usually prompted repairs. But it was true as you said the older engines were more dirty then the newer designs.
FS22 Back Roads County, Stone Valley 22, Green Valley Nebraska and Huron County Michigan
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

IRL our 1998 Case ih 2388 combine makes black smoke everytime you turn on the separator and speed up the engine and it runs perfectly. Pulling tractors make a ton of black smoke too.
Illinois Farmer

I'm not that mechanically smart about it just on my observations with what we have.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dagrump

Post by Dagrump »

I am glad to hear from folks doing the real duty today as my farming life was back in the day when we were using Oliver 60's and 70's and CaseIH was known as Farmall H's and M's along with a few Allis Chalmers WD's and they were all gas engines. So my diesel experience on farm equipment is limited. In the maritime life in these last few years, if you had a boat that was pouring out black smoke most state DNR officers would be speaking to you - sometimes not too friendly.

From my experience, most diesels will puff smoke when first starting or just as they are first put under load but probably should not puff continuous smoke as a lot of these mods are depicting. I just find it distracting in the game and the solution of course for me is to find mods that don't.

So to you real life farmers I hope your harvest was good and the prices hold up.
Illinois Farmer

I would agree with on the smoke if it is continuously a lot of black smoke. Thank you and prices could be better especially when the cash market for hogs is like 40 dollars less than the futures.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

Dagrump wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:39 pm I know the black smoke that many tractor and truck mods pump out do not effect the game play but I don't think it is completely realistic. If a farmer is running a $500,000 tractor and it is pumping out black smoke he is likely going to have his tractor in the repair shop. Black smoke is an indicater of too much air in the fuel to air mixture ration according to Cummings.

I have tried several mods of various brands of tractors and for me it really distracts from the quality of the mod.

I think you have it backward, black smoke from a diesel is typically a result of incomplete burning of the fuel.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Crazof wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:05 am
Dagrump wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:39 pm I know the black smoke that many tractor and truck mods pump out do not effect the game play but I don't think it is completely realistic. If a farmer is running a $500,000 tractor and it is pumping out black smoke he is likely going to have his tractor in the repair shop. Black smoke is an indicater of too much air in the fuel to air mixture ration according to Cummings.

I think you have it backward, black smoke from a diesel is typically a result of incomplete burning of the fuel.
Can be incompletely burned due to too much of either though
Dagrump

Post by Dagrump »

Crazof, Thank you for the correction, I did state it wrong for the black smoke. But the primary purpose of my original post was discussion of a lot of tractor mods that are displaying a constant stream of black smoke are distracting from the quality of the mod in my opinion. Am I the only one that finds it not realistic and distracting?
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

Back in the day the neighbors white tractors went up and down the field blowing black smoke the entire time
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah I would tend to agree it’s weird, most you get on something with tier 4 is a tiny little black puff that’s barely visible. It was also much more common in the interim stage of tier 4 (the one that burned diesel not DEF) to get puffs of pure white smoke from raw fuel passing after regen. So yeah it’s annoying, especially the ones that are constant and are so black they look like oil pouring out not exhaust. But someone also spent a ton of their free time to make the mod in the first place so in my opinion it’s best to ignore it.
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Recommend finding something else to be distracted by such as crappy physics, fuel consumption, repair frequency, hired workers,.......

Tractors are supposed to put out black smoke. It's the environmental hippies that think emissions controls are magic and have no skeletons in the closet on the true cost to society.

Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
Walrusman02

Post by Walrusman02 »

I dont mind a little bit of prius repellent out of tractors or trucks *thumbsup*
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Black smoke on a diesel means it's working. If it's light you may have to worry. You go take off all the mufflers and emissions on a 2020 tractor it will do the same.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs