Looking for a Good UK Map Alternative to Greenwich Valley for a MP Server?

cwattyeso

Looking for a Good UK Map Alternative to Greenwich Valley for a MP Server?

Post by cwattyeso »

I have been running a dedicated server with the Greenwich Valley map since early December. However today the players and myself had quite a discussion due to the serious issues this map has and some of the bugs which have been discussed on these forums, had Bug Reports opened and submitted and as of yet have had zero response from Giants or Greenbale the author. So we've decided we want to change the map. I sadly don't have the necessary skills with Giants Editor or the time to try and fix the issues and save the map.

I haven't really been following too much with map releases of late myself and certainly not paid much attention outside of ModHub stuff. So what is another good UK styled map that we should look at and possibly play on?

We won't play on Marwell Manor or Oakfield Farm as all players have played those previously in single player or on other multiplayer maps.
We don't want any maps with just square or rectangle fields, we want something more interesting and true to life.
Map sellpoints must support the selling of all in game materials so things like seed, fertiliser, herbicide, fuel etc must be able to be sold and price screen must show prices, as we use production/global company mods to extend gameplay.
All fields must on a map must have contracts, so players who wish to spend their time doing contracts can do so.
Map doesn't need to be seasons compatible as we wont be running seasons on this server.
Map must be a Standard Size Map, No 4x or larger, as it becomes too difficult to manage with only 10 player slots available and normally only 2 or 3 people on at the same time.
Map doesn't need to be limited to just what is on the ModHub, maps on other sites will be considered, but must be easily downloadable without needing to register on any sites or visit and malware infested, advert infested sites/links, and must not have some download link that takes 24 hours to download.

So what would people recommend?
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
BreadedVirus

Re: Looking for a Good UK Map Alternative to Greenwich Valley for a MP Server?

Post by BreadedVirus »

The only UK area maps i know that have contracts on ALL fields are Growers {there is an update for this one being sent to GIANTS this week}, Shamrock, Ballydorn, Eire Ireland and the up and coming Springside and Gatehead farms.

I would say Sussex Farms, but due to the ever so unrealistic square fields i would skip that one.

PS, i see that you have a Yeti Blue Microphone...i got one for Christmas and it is fantastic.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

I did suggest Sussex Farms but got shot down due to the square fields. I thought they might go for it on the grounds that Alien Jim maps support selling of all fill types and provide many contract options, not just fieldwork but also transport. I couldn’t win them over with that argument sadly.

I then suggested Shamrock, I had only briefly looked at it before Christmas when using it as background footage in a video. However a player has contacted me tonight via my discord to say the map is very small doesn’t use and fill the full standard map area and has rather a lot of grass fields as opposed to actual fields, so many contracts may just be baling on that map. Is that correct? Should I take a further look at it myself to see if this player’s statement is correct?

I’ll have a look at Grower’s farm, however I imagine players may shoot that map suggestion down on it seemingly only having one sell point, and that sell point only accepts grain crop. So does that mean not all the vanilla game fruit types can be grown, harvested and sold?

I’ll need to download Ballydorn and Eire Ireland as have never seen either of those maps, so need to do my homework and understand what they contain and have to offer.

I’ll keep and eye out for the release of other two maps you mentioned and be sure to download them and have a look when they release.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

Barrcott

Post by Barrcott »

Try 'this is Ireland's by lancyboi ? Good size map fair few contracts & grassland that can be ploughed & cropped. Good irregular shaped fields big & small, just started playing it myself & thoroughly enjoying it ,
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

Eire is 4x and Ballydorn probably too small for a 10 person server. This is Ireland is a great map which would suit your requirements as stated above.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Many thanks for your help and suggestions everyone. Gives me a lot to take a look at this week, before I sit down to edit and upload the alternate map for people to have a look at and try. One thing I have decided to do is keep my existing mod list for the players, just upload and add whatever map I choose to the server and start a new save in a new slot on the server. That way we still have access and can revert back to the current save if players don't like the new map.

So based on suggestions I'm going to take a look at This is Ireland and Ballydorn. I'll skip Eire as we have played two 4x maps previous and one of the reasons to switch to Greenwich was we wanted a standard size map, as sometimes on the 4x Map players complained they got a little bored working on some of the large fields, where they were just driving for ages in long straight lines. Some said when they put Guidance Steering on they'd actually fall asleep at their computer before they reached the edge of a field. Ballydorn I'll also download from the Nexus and have a look at, though that may sadly be a bit like Shamrock Valley in that it's actually a map too small for multiplayer. Once again thank you for your input everyone, great to get a variety of input from people who have played and experienced the different maps.

blackiecat

Post by blackiecat »

Don't know if Peter Vill Farm is any good it's a bit like Davids maps looks realistic seems to be a shortage of UK maps
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Just loaded up This is Ireland by lancyboi from the in game ModHub, thought I'd test a few things out on the map.

This is what I found straight away:

It has bad field definitions and sizing of it's fields just the same as Greenwich Valley, so that is really not a great advertisement for ModHub maps that have supposedly been tested and bugs/problems reported back to the author to have fixed before Giants certify and publish them. I spent a couple of hours last night, editing the map a bit in the editor, but mainly working on the XMLs of the sell points and stuff to make sure it supports all filltypes, and make sure the prices screen in game shows all filltypes, so just doing my usual edits before I even put it in the mod folder and loaded it up in game. So that was a couple of hours wasted. I Think in future when I download a map, I'll load it straight up in game and do a field check and if it fails, I know not to bother spending any time sorting out any of the other stuff.

So Ill go check Ballydorn Next and then maybe also take a look at downloading and testing that PeterVill Farm map and see if that passes basic field check tests.

cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Okay so a quick check of Ballydorn and it does pass the field def tests, in fact if you use the Easy Dev Control mod to change the state or crops planted on some fields, they actually get bigger and reclaim some land that have trees and stuff planted on them. So I may need to do some lumber removal in the editor prior to using that map on the server. So isn't that funny, a Non-ModHub Map, released by the Author privately over on Nexus Mods, that's never been submitted to Giants or had any kind of official testing, actually has better field definitions and sizing then the ModHub maps.

bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

Welcome to Farming Simulator :D
Btw, may i ask, whats the deal with those contracts ?
I never did them in both 17 and 19, i would rather buy all fields and work them like my own instead of doing for others.
wombles

Post by wombles »

It's not out yet Cwattyeso, but you'll want to keep an eye on Oxy's face book for SandyBay, from the sounds of it it'll be right up your street.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

bojanh66 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:16 pm Welcome to Farming Simulator :D
Btw, may i ask, whats the deal with those contracts ?
I never did them in both 17 and 19, i would rather buy all fields and work them like my own instead of doing for others.
Some players on the Multiplayer Server like to do Contracts to earn money for the farm whilst waiting for our own fields to grow and become harvest ready. Despite me many many times trying to tell people to stagger the fields and the work so that they always have stuff to do when they log in, I soon find when I log in that if we own 6 Fields on a map, they will all want Ploughing or all want Seeding, or all want Harvesting at the same time. Despite when I set the map up, and purchase the starting land and stuff I make sure that the fields are staggered so if we start with 6 fields, two of them will be bare and need ploughing, lime and fertiliser, two will have crops planted and just need fertilising, two will be ready to harvest straight away. Which is why I need the Field Definitions and Sizes to be right on a map so I can do this with the Easy Dev Commands Mod or via normal Console Commands. That however quickly goes out the window and especially if I'm offline or don't play for a few days. There are also some people who just only want to do certain types of jobs, so if there is none on our own farm, they go do those jobs as contracts, and once they've done all the contracts they can, they then log off until those jobs are available on our own land.

There are also some players who just can't think for themselves and despite me saying that on the server they are free to do what they like when they log in, grow and sell whatever they want, they still wait for me to be online to tell them what to do. So our fields can end up being left empty for days following a harvest and these players just busy themselves with a contract until I decide what we're planting next.

At the end of the day people play Farming Simulator in many different ways and I'm not going to tell people they are playing the game wrong. If players want to do contracts, I'm happy they are playing and having fun. I know I'm happy spending the money they make on new equipment and purchases. One of our first Server Maps we played on was Dondiego and we had a player that the whole time he played the only thing he did was mow grass. When I got talking to him one night via my Discord, it turns out the whole time he's owned and played FS19 all he has done is mow grass. Never done other crops or fieldwork. He likes mowing grass and feeding cows and sheep. If that's how he wants to spend his evening, I'm not going to complain and in fact will try to make sure we have some grass areas he can work on.

Also when starting a server I never buy all the fields at the start, but that is something of a goal for the player to work toward, so by the time we decided to call time on the map and move on we should have bought all and own all the land. This obviously can take quite a time on different maps depending on land values and the fact I always have the servers running on Hard Economic Difficulty.
Last edited by cwattyeso on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

wombles wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:57 pm It's not out yet Cwattyeso, but you'll want to keep an eye on Oxy's face book for SandyBay, from the sounds of it it'll be right up your street.
I'll keep an eye out for that one alongside Springside and Gatehead farms that were mentioned previously.

I would really love to play a UK Map, I've not done any in Single Player unless you count the fictional Mercury Farms. Having done American Maps and European Maps in Singleplayer and Multiplayer, I really fancied a UK one, but if there isn't any that don't have the problems under the surface, then I may just have to say to the Server we'll be going back to another American Map.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Thanks for posting your findings cwattyeso. Very helpful.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Ballydorn does have correct Field Definitions and Sizes, and even the Grass Fields so players who want to turn them back into normal crop fields can do so.

I didn't have chance to check the map in Giants Editor yet though to see if all fields have contracts, and whether they have all contract types. I'll probably do that tomorrow.