Old Iron

Beanbrother

Old Iron

Post by Beanbrother »

I know we have beaten this dead horse already. But wondering if old 80s 90s tractors or trucks whatever come to FS 19 consoles? I don’t quite understand why the manufactures would not want the old stuff on the game. Everyone talks about wanting it and you would think they would be proud of their past and how popular it is.
MrSquealypig

Re: Old Iron

Post by MrSquealypig »

I think it is because they would rather have new product in the game as advertising.

They aren't selling those old tractors so they don't really gain anything by having them in the game.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I will post a couple links to people who know better than I how to explain it and why it is either impossible, nearly so, or not worth the time. Please take time to read them.

This is custom modding explaining why his 9r can’t make it on console due to modeling issues that aren’t allowed.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4260023020

This is a fellow forum member named this_is_gav explaining just what goes into making a mod so you guys can understand and appreciate what it takes to get a modded tractor to console.

To make even a good but relatively simple implement (such as a small cultivator) from scratch takes around a month. To make a more detailed mod (such as a vehicle) takes several months (at least three). To make a good, detailed map from scratch takes most of a year. I'm talking nearly full-time here, not 30 minutes here or there in the evening.

If you've never made a model from scratch then you can add another 3-4 months (basic level) or 12-18 months (to be any good) to that to begin to learn Blender (free) or Maya (very much not free) and a texturing system such as a combination of Substance Painter and Photoshop (neither of which are anywhere close to free) or Blender's built in tools plus Paint.net or GIMP (all free).

Most mods are a simple vehicle edits of existing equipment (usually GIANTS models) which doesn't require any real talent just an ability to look and learn. While I'm sure some appreciate them (well, a region), it's rather unfair to true modders that those who make simple edits get the same rewards as those who've spent several months developing mods from scratch.

With implements GIANTS Editor is only used towards the end when it comes to getting the mod ready to play. 95%+ of the work takes place outside of GIANTS Editor - probably 80% of that in Blender or Maya.

With maps, depending on how much you're creating from scratch rather than relying on other's work, much of the work takes place in GIANTS Editor. If you're making mainly new models and textures from scratch and real terrain it's probably about 50-50% how much is done in GE.

Edit: Script mods can take anywhere between a day for the simplest script (including testing), to six or seven months for complex and game-changing scripts such as Seasons or MR. An understanding of LUA coding is essential for good, efficient scripts.

Here’s a link to the page of this_is_gavs post

viewtopic.php?f=963&t=157100&p=1226910#p1226910
Beanbrother

Post by Beanbrother »

First of all thank you for that. Second, I’m not complaining about not getting mods. I am incredibly grateful that being a Console player i am able to add mods to the game that make it more enjoyable. what I’m saying is you would think the manufactures would want to show off their past history as well as the new tech. As a farm kid I remember driving a JD 4440 bailing hay and then picking it up with the same tractor, hauling it back to the farm. I don’t know what 90% of the people are going to say, But buying a PC is just something I don’t want to do.
Hwyroller

Post by Hwyroller »

Beanbrother wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 pm I know we have beaten this dead horse already. But wondering if old 80s 90s tractors or trucks whatever come to FS 19 consoles? I don’t quite understand why the manufactures would not want the old stuff on the game. Everyone talks about wanting it and you would think they would be proud of their past and how popular it is.
Agreed. My most wanted and everyone I know irl is a JD 7810 IVT. Have had many offers from other farmers irl.
PS5
Way2drunk2walk

Post by Way2drunk2walk »

I remember reading somewhere that Giants does not create these 3d models from scratch, they are sent the cad files from the manufacturers. If that is true then it might be that the manufacturers don't have their older equipment in CAD files available.

Of course I could be completely wrong, just a guess.
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

I suspect the CAD files are mainly used to get exact dimensions and so on. There would be a heck of a lot of work involved in converting massive CAD files into a usable and efficient in-game model. It would probably be less messy to start from scratch, using the CAD data only for reference.

There's nothing stopping a modeller from finding old equipment in the real world and measuring and photographing and using that to recreate old models. There's plenty of old equipment about, but a lot of the time it's in such an awful rusted and mucky state that it could get quite messy. Plus old equipment often has had a lot of unofficial work done to it to keep it running long after the spare parts have disappeared, so getting an accurate reproduction of old equipment can be tricky.