Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Bryan83

Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by Bryan83 »

Ok, one overarching theme I see recurring in threads is that if consolers want all the mods, they should just upgrade to PC.

So here's my challenge to you:
Create 3 spec sets of PC's. The first one being a money is no object gaming rig with everything you either have or would love to have in your own setup. The second being a "mid-grade" option, able to run the game at max settings and store/use a ton of mods, but cost may be something of a factor. The last one being for the budget minded player that may want a PC for expanded access to mods, but really doesn't have a lot to spend.

I would say when writing this up, please keep in mind that some, like me for instance, are something of a novice in the world of actually building a PC. I only ask for a respectful discourse. Thanks for reading.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
SJ_Sathanas

Re: Challenge for the PC players from a console player

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

My budget pc build last year;
DELL Optiplex i7 4th Gen. £200 on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
Nvidia GTX 970 6gb GPU £100 used on eBay, cheaper if you shop around.
BeQuiet! GOLD Rated Power supply, 550W IIRC - about £120 brand new.
Budget a few quid for an adaptor wiring harness or two from ebay, a cheap keyboard and mouse and optional Xbox controller (wired or wireless). Plug it into a TV and you wont need to buy a display.
It'll need a better hard drive eventually but it comfortably out performs my Xbox with everything set to high.
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Discussion aleady exists, look for Small Guide To PC post. You can build a low budget pc for around 500 bucks that will get you 1080p at 60 frames all day long on FS, all new parts. Even cheaper if you're not afraid to go used.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
village80

Post by village80 »

Already exists and is quite through:

https://www.logicalincrements.com/
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

And it's not just the mods ... one thing I see from the console players is wanting to do this or that to maps; with a PC you can get into a map GIANTS Editor quite easily and make all the private edits you want.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

Bryan83 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 pm Ok, one overarching theme I see recurring in threads is that if consolers want all the mods, they should just upgrade to PC.

So here's my challenge to you:
Create 3 spec sets of PC's. The first one being a money is no object gaming rig with everything you either have or would love to have in your own setup. The second being a "mid-grade" option, able to run the game at max settings and store/use a ton of mods, but cost may be something of a factor. The last one being for the budget minded player that may want a PC for expanded access to mods, but really doesn't have a lot to spend.

I would say when writing this up, please keep in mind that some, like me for instance, are something of a novice in the world of actually building a PC. I only ask for a respectful discourse. Thanks for reading.
I have already done that. I own a PS4 and have FS 17 and 19 on it.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I read through quite a bit of that thread, the main idea with this one was for a little more diversity of options, thus the 3 tiered format to help someone like me get more ideas as I'm a newbie.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

SJ_Sathanas wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 pm My budget pc build last year;
Budget a few quid for an adaptor wiring harness or two from ebay, a cheap keyboard and mouse and optional Xbox controller (wired or wireless). Plug it into a TV and you wont need to buy a display.
It'll need a better hard drive eventually but it comfortably out performs my Xbox with everything set to high.
If you will kindly forgive my Americanism, but I am unfamiliar with what a "quid" is?

BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

Bryan83 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:38 am I read through quite a bit of that thread, the main idea with this one was for a little more diversity of options, thus the 3 tiered format to help someone like me get more ideas as I'm a newbie.
Mid range PC was my option and glad I did and upgraded parts when I saved enough money.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Bryan83 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 am
SJ_Sathanas wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 pm My budget pc build last year;
If you will kindly forgive my Americanism, but I am unfamiliar with what a "quid" is?
Believe it’s slang name for money, like we say “bucks” for money. Australian i think? Head to your a couple local pc repair shops tell them what you wanna do tell them what you wanna play and many of them will build your pc for next to nothing just out of the joy they get out of doing it. It’s really weird but I suppose when all you do is get little old lady’s 30 year old computers working again it’s probably enjoyable.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Bryan83 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 am If you will kindly forgive my Americanism, but I am unfamiliar with what a "quid" is?
Quid is colloquial for British Pound Sterling. "The beer here is great and it's only 3 quid a pint."
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Lol sorry yes a British pound, about a dollar 30 I think?
Eische

Post by Eische »

Bryan83 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:38 am I read through quite a bit of that thread, the main idea with this one was for a little more diversity of options, thus the 3 tiered format to help someone like me get more ideas as I'm a newbie.
It all depends on the visual quality you want to use ingame. You want to play on 4k with high details? Plan on using your existing TV as monitor or buying a dedicated monitor? Satisfied using lower detail level?
That is something you want to clearify for yourself upfront. Nobody can help you with that decision. I'm enjoying the game on medium details on a 22" monitor. I'm focusing more on using all the mods I want and changing several game parameters to my specific style of play.

The main advantage of a PC is the possibility to upgrade it after a few years. That being said, it is important to lay down a solid base for a PC:
- a good housing with enough room for everything you need
- a good power supply (500W+)

Especially for the housing:
I bought a lot of different housings over the decades I'm building my own PCs. All I can say is, do not focus on the look/styling of the housing. You want to have one providing enough room, easy to disassemble and provide enough positions for effective low noise cooling fans.

There are housings specifically designed for being living room compatible based on appearance and overall dimensions. Just search for HTPC housings. I had some over the years. For a dedicated gaming rig, I would never by them anymore. The good ones are quite expensive and you need to check first if they provide enough room for powerful graphic cards. Most of them do not even have enough room for a low noise CPU cooling fan.

A solid midi-tower housing is all you will ever need.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
Midlands Farmer

Post by Midlands Farmer »

Problem with building a PC is it is relative to the player & the games they play if you want a gaming rig for FS19 it is going to be a lot cheaper then say a PC for the new Star Wars game that wants 16GB RAM minimum to play you can very easy go over kill and over budget
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

16Gb DDR4 RAM is £59.95 from Crucial ... buy two games at £30 each instead of £60 and you've saved that much.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads