Oilseed radish with seasons

SimpleFarmer

Oilseed radish with seasons

Post by SimpleFarmer »

Would someone explain how oilseed radish work with seasons? Are they just another way of Fertilizer so would only count as 1/3 rounds? Do they affect the rotation cycle at all?
Also how long does a field remain unplanted to "remain fallow"
Thanks.
JensChrDK

Re: Oilseed radish with seasons

Post by JensChrDK »

You sow them, maybe with a seeder that also fertilize, let it grow, as soon as it is out of the ground, it is ready. You can also leave it over winter. Then you either plow or cultivate the field, and the field has 2 stages of fertilizer (if you used a seeder with fertilizer).
Don't know about the crop rotation, try the "Crop rotation planner" in the seasons menu.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I don’t believe they have any impact on crop rotation. But I’ve never used them so I can only speculate
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Maikello

Post by Maikello »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:44 am Do they affect the rotation cycle at all?
No
Also how long does a field remain unplanted to "remain fallow"
Full year without harvest/mow
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

So a grass field is considered fallow for the year as long as you don't mow it? Would that be true for every crop?

A field could have a crop planted, grow, mature, wither... and the field would be considered fallow because you didn't harvest the crop?
PS4
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I would say no because crops taken nutrients out of the ground in order to grow. Fallow means to leave untouched. You can plow or cultivate, but don't plant any crops because they would take nutrients you are trying to replenish. Leaving ground fallow is very unrealistic around here.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

I know in real life it wouldn't be considered fallow, I just mean as far as the game is concerned. It seems strange to me that the state of a field isn't defined until harvest for reasons you mentioned. Maybe second or third growth stage wouldve been a better trigger.
PS4
Illinois Farmer

Idk about in game. I think planting should define the field.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

I'm sure you're right with that. I was just thinking as far as the OP question, you could still plant oilseed radsih, and plow it in without triggering anything. Obviously you can do it that way now with the trigger all the way at harvest.

Are we sure in the game that the actual harvest defines the field, or is it when a crop becomes harvestable? The latter would at least make a little more sense.
PS4
jah6575

Post by jah6575 »

Not exactly sure, but I would say the harvest. I say this because when I started my game I owned a couple of meadows. The field information showed fallow x2 for previous years. Once I mowed one time in early summer, this changed to fallow then grass. Now it has continued to read that all the way through autumn. Done 3 cuts on those fields. Once I get to hay season again I’ll report back, but it will probably be a little bit. I’m not sure if it will change again in Early summer or when that will happen.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

Grass crops would really be the only issue, since they will grow and become harvestable on their own without you having to do anything to the field. The game will consider a grass field to be fallow unless it gets mowed at least once.

Not a big deal, and still a great addition to the game that hopefully can be expanded on for the next version.
PS4
iw_shawn

Post by iw_shawn »

I will plant radishes on fields that will be corn or soybeans the following year, if good weather leaves some extra time late autumn. I need to have all my wheat and canola planted first though.

I do not see the point of leaving ground fallow. The slight yield gain would never pay the loss of letting a field sit empty for a year.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

iw_shawn wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:19 amI do not see the point of leaving ground fallow. The slight yield gain would never pay the loss of letting a field sit empty for a year.
I guess that depends on how many fields you own. I know right now just starting on Welker farms map, I only own one field and yes, I couldn't afford to leave it fallow for a year. But later on when I'll own most of the map, I'll have more than enough acreage of harvest to rotate 2-3 fields in fallow per year. I guess it's preference and how hard line you want to play the seasons mod.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Illinois Farmer

Leaving the ground fallow or not doesn't make it more hardline. Imo it makes it more unrealistic. No one around here would ever do that. You are missing out pln income send resources. Plus, you wouldn't be gaining that much, if any irl.
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 am Leaving the ground fallow or not doesn't make it more hardline. Imo it makes it more unrealistic. No one around here would ever do that. You are missing out pln income send resources. Plus, you wouldn't be gaining that much, if any irl.
Yeah I thought that was kind of different too. Could be commonplace somewhere, but we never do it and nobody around me does it. If we did then we'd be spraying/mowing a **** load of weeds the following year before planting lol