To fertilize or not to fertilize (grass/hay fields)

Do you fertilize your grass fields?

Yes, all 3 stages
51%
Yes, 1-2 stages
24%
Sometimes if I think about it
18%
Why waste the material and effort? (No)
8%

Total votes: 51

Illinois Farmer

Re: To fertilize or not to fertilize (grass/hay fields)

Post by Illinois Farmer »

That's what I was wondering. The thin layer makes sense and have to wait a long time afterwards.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Fifty1990

Post by Fifty1990 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:44 pm That's what I was wondering. The thin layer makes sense and have to wait a long time afterwards.
The time you wait for grass to grow :P because its very short when you spread it and reasonably long when you cut it :D
Fifty1990 is the gamertag on ps4. Farm on people *thumbsup* :mrgreen:
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Fairly normal practice in the UK and Ireland if a dairy or beef operation has slatted sheds for slurry collection.
Nothing wrong with watching YouTube to broaden your horizons and get an understanding of what is done elsewhere in the world.
Fifty1990

Post by Fifty1990 »

Ritchie wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:49 pm Fairly normal practice in the UK and Ireland if a dairy or beef operation has slatted sheds for slurry collection.
Nothing wrong with watching YouTube to broaden your horizons and get an understanding of what is done elsewhere in the world.
The us is always right and don’t need to know other things 🤣
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I apologize everyone, for trying to farm in a UK style on a UK map. I didn’t take into consideration how perfect farming was in the United States before I dared applied liquid manure onto my fields. I was just trying to play a game for funsies.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Illinois Farmer

Nothing wrong with a little explanation either. I don't have time to sit on YouTube. We have confinement buildings here too. I have seen with my own eyes what happens when you put slurry on hay ground. It makes crabby hay for the next cutting. That's why we don't do that. I forgot if it is done in the uk it must be the correct way to do things. My fault. What country produces the most agricultural products on the world?

Edit: answer in case you don't want to look, China, India, United states, then Brazil.
Last edited by Illinois Farmer on Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Illinois Farmer

By all means keep doing that in the uk. I'm glad I don't have to bale stuff filled hay.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Why does everything have to turn in to a pi** contest on here. It's a practice used in the UK and elsewhere successfully for years, just because it doesn't work where you are doesn't make it better or worse than any other. It's just different practices for different climates and end products.
It's used mainly for grass/silage production here not for hay and you don't spread it then cut the crop the next day so nothing is covered in stuff lol.
Illinois Farmer

You guys started the contest I finished it. I understand uk uses it. I was saying it must be different rates like mwal said which makes sense. If you put it pom thick enough it would stay around for the 4 week interval of cutting hay. Obvious you wouldn't put it on when the grass is ready to be cut, duh.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

While interesting to learn how things are done around the globe, RW practices aside I was mainly just looking to see what everybody's doing in the game. It was not my intent to start a US v. UK debate.

I'm considering buying a second field on my Welker Farms map that's currently grass, and was trying to figure out if it's worth my time and material cost to fertilize the grass before the second cutting.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Illinois Farmer

I would say in game mechanics it is worth to fertilize it.
michaelr

Post by michaelr »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:56 pmIf you put it pom thick enough it would stay around for the 4 week interval of cutting hay.
I think that's one reason many use an injector, or slurry aerator, pouring slurry directly to the grass roots below ground :this:
Fifty1990

Post by Fifty1990 »

michaelr wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:32 pm
Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:56 pmIf you put it pom thick enough it would stay around for the 4 week interval of cutting hay.
I think that's one reason many use an injector, or slurry aerator, pouring slurry directly to the grass roots below ground :this:
Indeed they inject it with a special tool that at the same time aires out the grass pokes holes in the grass.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

As far as the game is concerned, I fertilized my grass field and it turned that darker shade of green and showed a layer in the menu, but after I cut it, it still showed a layer and wouldn't let me apply more. I got the same # bales either way. I think fertilizer has no affect on grass.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

OlavEmil wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm Is slurry something different than liquid manure? Because farmers definitely spray liquid manure on their grass fields here. It is really the only thing most farmers here do to their grass fields, they spray them with liquid manure, and mow or forage them.
Yes liquid manure is normally referred to as slurry here in the UK and in Ireland *thumbsup*