New to Farming

jasonbarron

Re: New to Farming

Post by jasonbarron »

Thanks Farmcat. I haven't figured out how to relate the rotation planner to my fields yet so I've largely just ignored it. I guess I'd better figure that out:)
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Question(s): on the map I'm playing (Hazzard County) I notice that the bakery buys flour for a premium, and there's a flour mill that I assume is for grinding the cereal into flour, though I haven't gotten far enough to bring any to it to test how it works. Can you turn oats into flour, and if so is it just a case of running it through the flour mill, and further, is it financially a good idea to grow a crop such as oats and convert it to flour as opposed to just selling it as is?
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

jasonbarron wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:41 pm Question(s): on the map I'm playing (Hazzard County) I notice that the bakery buys flour for a premium, and there's a flour mill that I assume is for grinding the cereal into flour, though I haven't gotten far enough to bring any to it to test how it works. Can you turn oats into flour, and if so is it just a case of running it through the flour mill, and further, is it financially a good idea to grow a crop such as oats and convert it to flour as opposed to just selling it as is?
Yes oats turn to flour. And I think you start that map with some flour at the mill already. It seems like flour is worth a ton so I plan on taking one field of oats to the mill and keeping one field for horse feed. I’ll have to keep an eye on the economy though because I’m sure it takes like an in game day to convert to flour
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Thanks for the info on the flour, FarmCat. Sounds like a decent money maker then.

New question: how many acres of grass do I need per 10x cows (say Holsteins)? I currently have 18 planted, but I'm wondering how much acreage I need to plan on purchasing for next year.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I can’t say for sure but if I recall when I started with 20 cows on Lone Oak it was somewhere around like 130k feed per year starting out. 18 acres will yield you more than enough

Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

You know, I've got 167 bales of hay just sitting in a building right now, I wish there was a way from my console to "sell" them to another player. I'm sure it can be done on PC via a server, but no such luck for XB1.

Take comfort in the fact that if I could, I'd give them to you for your cows.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

:lol:
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

It can be done, there's even a market place for it ( see link in my signature), and the helpfull souls over there will help you out on what to do to get the sums right if needed ;)
There are lots of stuff being sold there, from crops, seeds, fertilizer and lime, to bales and equiptment. There's also e section for land (buy or lease).
Even slurry have been sold there :P
If you have it, and others need it, it's possible to sell
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Noraf wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:36 am It can be done, there's even a market place for it ( see link in my signature), and the helpfull souls over there will help you out on what to do to get the sums right if needed ;)
There are lots of stuff being sold there, from crops, seeds, fertilizer and lime, to bales and equiptment. There's also e section for land (buy or lease).
Even slurry have been sold there :P
If you have it, and others need it, it's possible to sell
And I can use this on a console version? If that's a yes, then that's a game changer right there
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Yes, we have console users amongst us :P

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Noraf wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:39 pm Yes, we have console users amongst us :P
So how does it work? Use the console's internet browser to log on there?

Noraf

Post by Noraf »

use your normal browser and come on over for a visit, have a look at the help section there.
It's a roleplaying forum, so you have to do some tinkering ingame for it to work, and there's plenty of examples on how to manage prices on things you sell, or buy ( though it's way easier for pc players, PrincessJessi have done an awesome job for you console users)

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Well thank you both in advance. I'll check it out.

jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

I've heard horses were not as profitable in seasons compared to vanilla; what are the main differences, and are they still worth investing in?
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I usually just get them in the winter for an extra revenue stream as long as I have left over oats. Last day of winter they get returned to their owners.