Epic Games

Dairydeere

Re: Epic Games

Post by Dairydeere »

It is only PC on Windows. No Mac or Ps4 or XB1
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

And if you don't like steam for spying, stay as far away from epic as possible, steam is a saint in comparrrison.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Just read Epic's privacy policy it says they use your IP address to check stuff on your computer. Just reading the privacy policy made me get the code off amazon. Usually things like that are fine but there is always the slight possibility that things could turn for the worst. Steam's privacy policy seems alot more legit.
Stryder87

Post by Stryder87 »

Hmmmm..... maybe I'll use a machine at work that has DeepFreeze installed on it to install the Epic client so I can download the installer and then take it home. Reboot and Epic no longer exists on the machine. :lol:

Of course... if it also is needed for installation... ugh... *thumbsdown*
jkfrench

Post by jkfrench »

I wish what you are claiming were true ... but even launching FarmingSimulator2019.exe directly will automatically launch the Epic Game Launcher... and to make it worse, you have to be logged in to EPIC in order to play (which also means you have to be connected to the internet to play ... and if you aren't, a dialog will be displayed indicating that you MUST BE LOGGED IN TO EPIC) ... I'm not sure if this is an EPIC requirement or a Farming Simulator 19 requirement (that could be fixed by GIANT). But I wish they'd remove this requirement. Now, I understand that in order to download mods (or play multiplayer) could require internet access. But, if I just want to play single-player, I shouldn't have to be logged into EPIC (or connected to the internet).
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I got mine through ther free download of epic and you don't have to go through their launcher in order to play. I'm not sure about the internet question though because I'm always connected.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

It’s an Epic requirement, if you don’t have Internet you can your phone internet hotspot to sign in and load the game. Once you get into the FS home screen, you can disconnect the internet hotspot, but performance will decrease slightly
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
jkfrench

Post by jkfrench »

I got mine through the free download of Epic as well. I know the login requirement is Epic. And I know I can use my phone to connect to the internet (I've done it multiple times). But I guess my question is why does the FarmingSimulator2019.exe (or really the x64\FarmingSimulator2019game.exe) even launch the Epic Launcher? Is there something in Farming Simulator 19 that requires the Epic Launcher? I mean ... I have Farming Simulator 17 in steam and I don't have to be connected to the internet to play ... sure, it launches Steam, but I can still play while in offline mode. When the Epic Launcher doesn't have internet I can skip login, I can still see Farming Simulator 19 (and other games I have installed) and attempt to launch it ... but can't ... because of the Epic Login Requirement (because it requires internet access). Frankly I'm sure it's all DRM related ... might be because they don't want me launching multiple copies of Farming Simulator 19 on multiple machines (which I don't care to do anyhow) and it checks. I do know I can play other Epic-purchased games without internet access (and even without the Epic Launcher loaded) ... It just seems something could be done where I don't have to have internet access to play Farming Simulator 19. And it seems like that could start at GIANT with changes to their .exe (not Epic). Although I would also think Epic could do something where if I don't have internet access, it still provides enough info to the launching game to not require logging in too.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Because epic wants to get as much information about you as possible, it was not a friendly gesture of them to offer games for free, but to get as many people to there launcher, you should have bought it from another source, if you do not like there service.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

juf.de wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:37 am Because epic wants to get as much information about you as possible, it was not a friendly gesture of them to offer games for free, but to get as many people to there launcher, you should have bought it from another source, if you do not like there service.
He didn’t buy it at all. 😄

But indeed. Don’t get it from Steam if you don’t want anything to do with their Steam launcher.
Ignorance is bliss
jkfrench

Post by jkfrench »

Frankly, I don't mind Steam and I don't mind Epic. I just don't like the requirement of having to be connected to the internet to play a game in single-player mode. I'm not sure what Epic is going to get from me, that they don't already have, by forcing me to login to play a single-player game (and frankly, I find it hard to believe that Epic connectivity is used to download mods from GIANT, or even used when playing multiplayer, unless there is some Epic Server that I can connect to .... and I'd understand that) ... Again, pretty much every game I play on Epic doesn't have the requirement (in fact, I launch most games from Steam ... even those I have installed using Epic ... and the ONLY one that launches the Epic Launcher is Farm Simulator 19 ... and really that doesn't really bother me ... it's just that, in the case of Farm Simulator 19, it requires that I am logged in to Epic ... which in turn, requires internet access).
jkfrench

Post by jkfrench »

Also, I may not have purchased Farming Simulator 2019 ... but I did purchase the Platinum Expansion and all of the other official DLC available.