Why Won't Courseplay Work for Me?

jasonbarron

Why Won't Courseplay Work for Me?

Post by jasonbarron »

I gather that this mod is beloved and works for many people, but for me its a 100% bust and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. It hasn't worked for a single, not one, field assignment I've given it out of dozens. Fertilizing, plowing, liming, seeding, cultivating, it doesn't matter; it just can't even come within 0000.1% of the way to getting anything I ask it to do right. I don't care if I tell it to start with multiple headland passes, up/down patterns, spirals or racetracks, it's a sure bet that it will find a telephone pole, forest, nearby hill, fence, corner, car on the road to get hung up on. This is even if I find a simple field with (seemingly) no obstacles.

I mean, it literally makes the vanilla helper AI look like genius levels of programming by way of comparison. Now, I know that's not right or nobody would use it, so what am I doing wrong? It seems to be properly installed as I have the right click menu to call up with all the control options, and it will scan my fields and allow me to pick out my patterns and parameters and so forth, it just immediately gets hung up with seconds (a minute or two at most on rare occasions) of deployment on an obstacle.

Please help!

signed: frustrated in Hazzard County
Phigo

Re: Why Won't Courseplay Work for Me?

Post by Phigo »

I am new to the whole PC-FS-Game and had to try CP and AD and all the other cool stuff that "those" PC-Guys are Talking About.

What I can say: I played a whole bunch of Hours this Weekend (single Speed) and had multiple times, when I wished the ingame helper could help me out... I finished one (1 !!!) ingame-day

I am using CP for field work - all the Jobs on the road are done by Autodrive. After a Long while it seems to work out a bit.

CP sometimes remembers a former generated Course on a different field. That could be a reason, why your CP-Helper jumps off to another field. Also there is an Option to use AD to Refill or park - make sure it is not activated.

And at least you could deactivate all other mods to see, if it is CP itself or another mod causing a Problem.
PS4 und PC
Valko_inen

Post by Valko_inen »

Unless you give actual details of what's going wrong I doubt anyone can help you
humbe

Post by humbe »

Courseplay has a lot of buttons to push and limited docs. There's a manual, with entries for most buttons that makes sense, but without context its hard to know specifics about what to use in what context. I've been trying it out too recently, and have gotten it to do quite a bit, but many aspects are a bit of a struggle to get going.

Not getting progress sounds strange. Are you sure you are using the correct field working mode? In the screen where you start driving or stop driver, there's buttons below that sets if you are in "drive only" mode or in a field work mode.. Could you be attempting to start while in drive mode? Sounds a bit strange, as you need to be in a field work mode to generate a course.

Hard to help without specifics of what buttons you push and what behavior you see. For me it for instance works like:

- I have a tractor ready with equipment needed mounted. (Seeder/Plow/Cultivator/Sprayer/Fertilize wagon etc)
- I open the CS hud by right clicking mouse. Pick the tab with the play button second to the left on the upper row.
- I shift to appropriate field working mode in the bottom button row, and when I do the generate course option comes in the middle
- I go in there and pick the correct field number, alter my options if needed and press generate course. Then I see the course suggested.
- I close the course generator.
- Often I need to switch starting point to be "start of course" rather than "nearest waypoint" so it will start at the beginning.
- If I'm not close to the start of the course and it can't be reached in a straight line, or there may be obstacles it can run into when turning there, I drive over manually.
- When I press start course and the game drives to the starting point. When it starts the field it automatically lowers and start the equipment and does what it supposed to do.

There's plenty of issues, but if you don't get the base bits to work th
xgaetx

Post by xgaetx »

humbe wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 am Courseplay has a lot of buttons to push and limited docs. There's a manual, with entries for most buttons that makes sense, but without context its hard to know specifics about what to use in what context. I've been trying it out too recently, and have gotten it to do quite a bit, but many aspects are a bit of a struggle to get going.
There are a lot of Youtube videos to help you with the Courseplay.
Tutorials made by DATALUND for example are really good and quite extensive.
You might take a look at those.

Cheers
humbe

Post by humbe »

If I need to watch 10 min youtube for every question I dont have time left to play...

Theres a reason I never click on newspaper articles linking in a video. I dont want to waste 5 minutes for what I could have read in 3 seconds

I dont mind the streamers but they are not a substitute for docs..
xgaetx

Post by xgaetx »

humbe wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 pm If I need to watch 10 min youtube for every question I dont have time left to play...

Theres a reason I never click on newspaper articles linking in a video. I dont want to waste 5 minutes for what I could have read in 3 seconds

I dont mind the streamers but they are not a substitute for docs..
Then you can spend multiple hours doing something yourself while 10 minutes of videos would have helped you to setup CoursePlay correctly and save that time to read docs or newspaper.
yumi

Post by yumi »

Do you know this manual where everything should be détailled ?
https://courseplay.github.io/courseplay ... driveModes
It was on fs17 version I guess but most info is still valid
moreRealistic fan !
FS19 "mr" on Old Farm Coutryside and Champs de France.
Give a try to ContractorMod!
Contractor Mod Beta version for FS22
All released mods source code is on Github
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'll just keep plugging away and eventually get it sorted.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I thought I read from someone that the version before the newest one worked better.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Without any background on what your having trouble with all I can say is go to Youtube and search out videos on whatever you need help with. It took me less than half an hour of having youtube on one screen and FS on the other to get a really good idea on how to use CP for all the basics.
Once you figure it out you don't know how you managed without it.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
ThatCanadianGuy

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:15 pm I thought I read from someone that the version before the newest one worked better.
I don't know what the most current one is but 355 did work better than 366.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:19 pm Without any background on what your having trouble with all I can say is go to Youtube and search out videos on whatever you need help with. It took me less than half an hour of having youtube on one screen and FS on the other to get a really good idea on how to use CP for all the basics.
Once you figure it out you don't know how you managed without it.
My trouble is that it inevitably will either go forward off of my field assignment, backward or sideways and get hung up on an obstacle. I tell it to start with headland passes, for instance, and a variety of different scenarios that are all basically the same will unfold: plowing a field, the tractor will come to a turn and travel off the field to make it and get stuck on something; the tractor will successfully negotiate the turn, but the backend of the plow will get stuck on something as it swings wide.

Those are typical.
ThatCanadianGuy

Sounds like you have "turn on field" deactivated.
If it is turned off the tractor will travel whenever it wants to make a turn, turned on it will stay on the field. It's in one of the menus on the far right buttons, either the tractor or the path, I can't remember off hand right now.

You also need enough headlands on the field for tractors to make a proper turn.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm Sounds like you have "turn on field" deactivated.
If it is turned off the tractor will travel whenever it wants to make a turn, turned on it will stay on the field. It's in one of the menus on the far right buttons, either the tractor or the path, I can't remember off hand right now.

You also need enough headlands on the field for tractors to make a proper turn.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check that out when I get back in. That last comment confuses me, though. It's usually during the course of establishing a headland (say 2-3 passes) that my tractor runs into problems.