Narrow twin wheels

iwan073

Narrow twin wheels

Post by iwan073 »

Okay, so I was wondering.
When would you use narrow twin wheels like on this Xerion?
They aren’t spaced apart, so not suitable for row crops. And their surface contact won’t be much more than wide tires, so less compaction doesn’t seem a good reason either.

So what is a reason to go for narrow twin wheels?

...in real life...

Last edited by iwan073 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance is bliss
Farmercaseih

Re: Narrow twin wheels

Post by Farmercaseih »

Looks?
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Farmercaseih wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 am Looks?
In the game, yeah.
But real life?

Must be a reason for them
Ignorance is bliss
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

iwan073 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 am
Great question.

My official answer is "I don't know".

My speculation is that narrow singles are preferable for spraying or spreading on tram lines, but a wider footprint is much more effective for any heavy draft work like tillage and seeding. Therefore narrow singles with clamp-on narrow duals allow relatively easy changeover from skinny tram-line setup to moderately wide heavy-pulling setup, without requiring physically removing a wheel from an axle.

However this is pretty much a guess. And would only apply in Europe, in my experience. It also seems less likely given that the Xerion is an awfully big tractor to use for most in-crop spraying or spreading jobs.

This is, however, more or less how we set up our MB-Tracs for these respective jobs in arable farming in Britain 20 years ago. However the MBs were approximately a quarter the size of the Xerion and more of a dual-purpose tractor than a high-power pulling beast.

Are these wheel configurations standard options on the standard Claas DLC? I don't have the DLC. If this is a configuration that Giants offers I think it lends some credence to my theory. If it is a modded setup it may be more likely to be something that looks cool vs. something used in real life.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

So some quick research finds that some farmers will set up this way because narrow tires put more weight down per square inch of tread area, where as a single wide tire kinda becomes like a ski in slippery conditions. Also, one post I saw on reddit (so take it for what it's worth) suggest that it is for legal compliance in certain EU nations.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

The main reason for double wheels. Good for working in between soft and medium ground and gives you forward and reverse traction. Where the tires meet you can see that the pattern goes in reverse.
PS4
PS5
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

I saw a "Big Tractor Power" video where the farmer he was filming, was asked that exact question, because he was driving with triples, skinny tires.
His respond; "They are cheaper to replace"
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
Boost_GLR

Post by Boost_GLR »

First time I put narrow tires on that beast, I went to use it to spray. Found out real quick those were not meant to NOT damage crops. Lol
FS22 on Xbox Series X. But play the older titles on PC.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Boost_GLR wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:29 pm First time I put narrow tires on that beast, I went to use it to spray. Found out real quick those were not meant to NOT damage crops. Lol
I tried that once also... :shock:
There is a single narrow tire option that works for spraying though.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

iwan073 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 am Okay, so I was wondering.
When would you use narrow twin wheels like on this Xerion?
They aren’t spaced apart, so not suitable for row crops. And their surface contact won’t be much more than wide tires, so less compaction doesn’t seem a good reason either.

So what is a reason to go for narrow twin wheels?

...in real life...

Better traction
Jonhinkerton

Post by Jonhinkerton »

Whatever it is, I have become kind of obsessed with narrow twin wheels in the last month or so myself. I just love the way they look.

I think in one of Brian’s Farming Videos episodes he said something about the twins in their big challengers having better traction, and that they always look a little flat at proper pressure.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Radial tires always look kinda flat but narrow tires especially
Walrusman02

Post by Walrusman02 »

JensChrDK wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 am I saw a "Big Tractor Power" video where the farmer he was filming, was asked that exact question, because he was driving with triples, skinny tires.
Makes sense to me, instead of popping a whole big tire, you pop one of 3 small tires. Kinda like the watertight sections of the titanic, instead of losing one big section you fill one small section (y’all follow what im sayin?)
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Walrusman02 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 am
JensChrDK wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 am I saw a "Big Tractor Power" video where the farmer he was filming, was asked that exact question, because he was driving with triples, skinny tires.
Makes sense to me, instead of popping a whole big tire, you pop one of 3 small tires. Kinda like the watertight sections of the titanic, instead of losing one big section you fill one small section (y’all follow what im sayin?)
Exactly! *thumbsup*
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick