Am I the only one that feels raked over by Giants?!?!

twfish

Re: Am I the only one that feels raked over by Giants?!?!

Post by twfish »

My biggest gripe comes really only because it is a very heavy euro based game. I would say 3/4 of the equipment I will never use and often times the DLC is an absolute waste of time and money. If it wasn't for modders then i would maybe put 30 hours into the game. I honestly feel terrible for the people who only play the game on console, it is a completely different feel then that on PC. I will patiently wait for 21 because I really expect a massive leap. I do not mind paying for good games and content, I pay different Patreons whose mods i regularly use because they put out such a good product for free.
TankerWar

Post by TankerWar »

aklein wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:56 pm As to everyone needing to own the DLC, again this is not a changed with 19. I only go back to FS17 in knowledge but it was that way back then and likely that way since the inception of MP in FS. If everyone does not have the DLC then what would be the behavior. Only DLC owners could see and use DLC equipment? Do you propose somehow DLC assets get transferred over the wire every time a non DLC owner joins a server? The game is still running locally the server is just providing real time position information on players, equipment and field conditions. The server isn't rendering things visually in any way. This is also why every player must have the exact same mod that connects to MP.
I know that this has been the way fs17 worked...I'm saying that just because they have done it in the past doesnt mean they should continue doing it. Eventually it will get changed either by this developer or another that ends up surpassing them cause they are stuck in their ways. I know there are tons if games out there that only required the host or server to have dlc and the other players to not need it when they join. An example of one game is the Hunter Call of the Wild. My friend has the ATV dlc and I dont yet if I join his server he hosts, I can ride and use atvs. When I go back to single player or my own server, I dont have it anymore.
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

Not sure where someone got the idea of 'host only needing DLCs', But I don't know many, if any, games where that works. if you don't own DLCs you cant use their content or play on MP with DLC content enabled lol.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
adammac5858

Post by adammac5858 »

Personally I found my personal value in the game when I switched to 17 with Seasons and played for about 1.5 hours and quit. 19 with Seasons provides more entertainment for me. As soon as Seasons was released the game became worth it for me. Pushing snow alone in almost worth it! :mrgreen:
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.
Doc3d

Post by Doc3d »

TankerWar wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm
aklein wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:56 pm As to everyone needing to own the DLC, again this is not a changed with 19. I only go back to FS17 in knowledge but it was that way back then and likely that way since the inception of MP in FS. If everyone does not have the DLC then what would be the behavior. Only DLC owners could see and use DLC equipment? Do you propose somehow DLC assets get transferred over the wire every time a non DLC owner joins a server? The game is still running locally the server is just providing real time position information on players, equipment and field conditions. The server isn't rendering things visually in any way. This is also why every player must have the exact same mod that connects to MP.
I know that this has been the way fs17 worked...I'm saying that just because they have done it in the past doesnt mean they should continue doing it. Eventually it will get changed either by this developer or another that ends up surpassing them cause they are stuck in their ways. I know there are tons if games out there that only required the host or server to have dlc and the other players to not need it when they join. An example of one game is the Hunter Call of the Wild. My friend has the ATV dlc and I dont yet if I join his server he hosts, I can ride and use atvs. When I go back to single player or my own server, I dont have it anymore.
This doesn’t make financial sense, tho.. one guy buys the dlc, sets up a server 24/7 and his 200 friends save by not bothering to buy the dlc at all, since all they do is play multiplayer, and hey presto, dlc for free... I’m against dlc as a principle, but FS dlc is different as it adds to the game(well, a few rescinded tractors at least). Lots of other dlc heavy games are sold incomplete and you get day 1 dlc, which is just wrong.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:33 pm I don't feel raked over, but feel it is getting ridiculous they haven't fixed the claas dlc yet.
Getting ridiculous?

I think it reached that status a while back.
How long ago has that DLC been released? And still no update.

Some games get updates every 6 weeks. This game? Every 6 months?!
Ignorance is bliss
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I don't feel raked at all. I will be the first to admit that I don't know what goes into game production and therefore how easy or complex these tasks are, nor do I know what's on the daily schedule at Giants. What I do know is that even though FS/LS has quite the following in Europe and NA, they aren't selling as many copies as, say, the GTA series like Rockstar Games. Thus, I can guess that their financial resources are a bit more constrained, and out of that finite money, they need to pay taxes, overhead on their offices (rent/lease, utilities, etc), physical manufacturing of the game, warehousing and international shipping, and if they don't ship then they have to pay a contractor over here to do that for them, salary and benefits to employees, purchase consumable office supplies, pay travel expenses for their tours, fund the FSL, pay for R&D on the next versions or any other games, develop the mobile versions, and I'm sure that they probably pay some form of royalties to the copyright holders of the respective brands. Add to this that I wouldn't doubt that they probably have at least one attorney on retainer for just in case and the expenses add up fast. I don't think they're greedy, but I believe that there's a ton of money that has to be spent every month just to keep the ship running.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Considering the hours I put into it FS is an absolute bargain. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never encountered a game breaking bug (mod conflicts not withstanding).
aklein

Post by aklein »

What I find rather interesting and it must be a generation thing that folks these days feel they must continue to torture themselves and play games they don't like or visit game forums they don't like playing just to rant about how they don't like playing the game. What seems to make sense is if you feel ripped off you say to yourself. Shame on you Giants for pulling a fast one on me. Well no more, delete the game from your system and move on with your life.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I don't feel raked over, and realistically I can't because in the end it's my own (and everyone else's fault) when this happens. I still bought and played the game. If I did feel "raked over" I'd be a hypocrite for still supporting the game. As far as feeling screwed over though-I just don't.

Let's face it, A large portion of us probably had FS19 pre-ordered about 3 months in advance, when we still didn't know a lot about what was being brought to the table, besides a bunch of promises from the developer. We all know the features that are planned for a game, and what actually happens are two different things. Look at The Division (the original), when the first gameplay trailer was put out in EA 2013( right around there), the game looked far better than it ended up being. It was by no means a bad game either. If you want to look at the Farming Simulator Franchise, I'll list the example that we were told we would be able to strap down equipment on trailers in FS17. Well, here we are, FS19 is released and still this is not a feature. Hopefully that changes. Back to the point, We only have ourselves to blame when we pre-order products without knowing what we've actually got and continue to buy the game time and time again.

GIANTS has already shown that they're going to do things a bit differently by postponing FS20whatever's release. That in itself is a good gesture in my eyes. It proves they don't want the same issues as we faced with the FS19 release. I'd say they're a lot better than many developers out there already, despite being smaller. FS will never be a triple A title. It doesn't have the fan base, and it's a niche thing. It won't ever have that fan base I don't believe. We point the finger at the Developers all too often with games. We feel "cheated" and "Screwed over" when they don't put out a product that meets our expectations. Sometimes those expectations were unrealistic in themselves. If it truly is the Developer's fault (Sometimes it is) we don't acknowledge that we encouraged it by continuously buying a pi**-poor product. That is why I don't have sympathy for the Call of Duty fans when they get a crappy product. They've bought the same junk over and over again for years now and all of a sudden it's an outrage?

I speak for myself, but I'll probably be purchasing FS20whatever when it releases as well. I have never felt raked over by GIANTS. Even with bumpy road of FS19's release, I still don't feel that it was that poor of a product to warrant not purchasing another FS title. Each version of the game has brought substantial improvements to the series over it's predecessor. Each game keeps getting bigger and better, and I like that. GIANTS could no doubt be better about listening to the players and putting out updates. At the same time though, I continuously play Red Dead Online on my PS4 despite it being so unstable and broken for over a year now. It keeps getting better though, even if it is baby steps. Until I feel that I'm devoting time to a game that is no longer getting better, I'll continue to play and support it. Farming Simulator is the same way in my eyes. Baby steps, but we're still getting a little bit closer to that final goal of an ultimate Farming/Agriculture Simulator.

Anyhow, that's the end of my speech. Thanks for reading. Take it for what it is- the opinion of one fella. Ya'll have a great time, and take care. Happy Farming.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

The premise of this thread is absurd. Giant's provided a decent game and architecture for modders to carry it to greatness. They're a business, and it shouldn't come as a shock that they exist to make a profit. If you don't like their dlc or think the value isn't there then don't buy it, simple as that.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with my decision to buy in, and yes, that includes the dlc which I picked up in one fell swoop during the last big Steam sale. A lot of what makes FS 19 great from me is the modding community, but without the foundational game and equipment in the first place none of it would be possible.

I WOULD be happy if they fixed those frickin Claas header trailers, though:)
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

If you want to see real "rake over coals" try the new Assassin's Creed Odyssey lol. There is everything short of pop up ads (oh wait, there are pop up ads), buy your way to nowhere fast, same game as the one before it, super high price, etc. I feel so bad for people who bought and played that game. I see my other favorite game COD starting to do the same thing. I am just happy Giants hasn't followed along.
I think these games start to get envious of the smartphone/tablet games like Age of Empires, where people just pay a ton of money just to level up, and the game owners make tons of money. I just hope Giants never does that but for now, I feel like they are putting the game first and profits second. I wish more players stood up to the gaming companies when they start making the only way to avoid huge grind times paying actual money, but most players are like 13 I guess and just use their mom's credit card.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Regarding AC:O I paid the price of entry for a new AAA game from a major studio and promptly sank nearly 250 hours into it, never once feeling motivated to spend another dime. So, I don't agree with that characterization at all.
Keade

Post by Keade »

I am not going to say that I feel raked by GIANTS because I don't though I do think there are areas or aspects of the game that they could/of improved on in which in some cases as time goes by they are but slowly.
Agreeing with others regarding the CLAAS DLC because that does need to be updated and or tweaked.

My only thing is that the game isn't well optimised for lower end systems and or hardware.
Running a game on a laptop that isn't really built for gaming it manages to run both FS 17 and 19 well enough despite the graphics having to be reduced to low, yet would be playing with low FPS on 19.
And while I do have access to a gaming rig with a quad core CPU and 1060 6GB graphics card, I am mostly using the laptop more than I am the desktop due to my other half using it most of the time.

As for where the money goes? not my business. Though I just hope that with the amount of money GIANTS are making from the game, plus the DLCS and or servers then they're using that wiseley enough to continue pushing updates through and or good content.
I do think though that they could be quicker regarding the updates, the patches etc
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

aklein wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 pm What I find rather interesting and it must be a generation thing that folks these days feel they must continue to torture themselves and play games they don't like or visit game forums they don't like playing just to rant about how they don't like playing the game. What seems to make sense is if you feel ripped off you say to yourself. Shame on you Giants for pulling a fast one on me. Well no more, delete the game from your system and move on with your life.
What I find rather interesting and it should be obvious, is that this is the first generation that has a way to complain about something they paid for and don't like. If this didn't occur to you, then...

What I find rather interesting and it must be a generation thing that folks these days feel they must continue to torture themselves and visit game forums and read threads they don't like just to rant about how they don't like other opinions. What seems to make sense is if you feel offended you say to yourself. Shame on you Person With Different Opinion for writing something I don't like. Well no more, skip the thread you don't like and move on with your life.