Harvester headers - Using others than suggested by game - How does it work?

humbe

Harvester headers - Using others than suggested by game - How does it work?

Post by humbe »

Hi.. I've seen mentioned in forum that a harvester header can be attached to other harvesters than the ones suggested by in game shop info.
I've also tested this once and it seemed to work.

But what are the limitations to this? I see no HP requirements. I'm guessing you can't just attach a 12m header to the cheapest harvester.

Are there any drawbacks of using a bigger header than the in game shop suggests your harvester can handle? Are there actually horsepower requirements hidden in the game somehow? Sounds like an exploit to be able to buy a cheap harvester with a huge header, as the harvester is what costs the most..
Ravenblade86

Re: Harvester headers - Using others than suggested by game - How does it work?

Post by Ravenblade86 »

When I use different headers it's normally been to use one of the draper belt headers that unfold into their own trailer so I don't have the hassle of headers falling of the ingame header trailers, that's always been my main reason for doing it.

I've never really strayed to far away from the real header size when I've used something different, maybe only go for an extra metre or so, but I do think the harvester will struggle if the header if much to big. The one big drawback if you go for a bigger header though is that it can make unloading difficult as you might find it harder to pull up beside the harvester because the header is in the way. I know using the Case/NH draper headers on the Ideal (13.2m vs 12m) means that when the pipe is out you can just about pull alongside but it can be easy to misjudge.
Eische

Post by Eische »

You can find the power requirements for each header in its xml file.
Just try it by yourself. Buy a small combine and put a large head on it. It wont move once you have activated it, because the header eats up all the available power of the combine.

Another point is the limitation of the unloading pipe length. If the header is wider than your pipe, unloading to a trailer is more difficult.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

The TX32 won't handle the New Holland 45 foot draper well no. There hidden limitations, but as with all in this game it's just a suggestion. I doubt 19 is different but in 17 indeed some implements included a pto power requirement in the files, something that no tractor showed a rating for.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I only look at the suggested header to get an idea of size, then usually go a few meters larger regardless of the brand (in real life there are converters for nearly anything anyway). A long as the auger is long enough I can still unload on the go its good. Seasons is good for this since you can return items for the full price if you sell it back within 30min.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Cad_dao

Post by Cad_dao »

humbe wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 am Hi.. I've seen mentioned in forum that a harvester header can be attached to other harvesters than the ones suggested by in game shop info.
I've also tested this once and it seemed to work.

But what are the limitations to this? I see no HP requirements. I'm guessing you can't just attach a 12m header to the cheapest harvester.

Are there any drawbacks of using a bigger header than the in game shop suggests your harvester can handle? Are there actually horsepower requirements hidden in the game somehow? Sounds like an exploit to be able to buy a cheap harvester with a huge header, as the harvester is what costs the most..
Hi Humbe,

Indeed, headers have power requirements. If you're playing on console, you have no way to see it cause you have no access to xml files. But as mentionned by others, any header that is wider than the unloading pipe have likely more chance to eat all combine HP leaving no power to wheels to move. If by luck you could still fit a larger header, at some point, it will be too large to allow you to run along the combine with a tractor to allow you to unload the combine while harvesting. Meaning that, you can expect to be able to fit a 1m to 2m wider header without problem. It is only a starting point to go with, then experiment if you want to push the research further.

Hope it helps you!
FS 17 & 19 on XBOX one
humbe

Post by humbe »

Thanks for the replies.. Great info.. I'm on PC so I do have access to XML files. But important values like HP requirements and length of unloader pipe should really be in the shop info :)..

With HP limits and length of unloader limits, at least it can't be totally exploited though, so maybe I'll test out a bit bigger header on a combine without feeling like cheating :)
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

To add to what was said above, when you hire a worker, they don't know that you're using a bigger header, so you'll find them with some of the header sticking out into already harvested field when they do their turn. It's not a big deal though, which is why with the new lizard headers, I will be using the big wide ones on my IDEAL or CLAAS.
yumi

Post by yumi »

If you really want to experience how header size has influence on the combine, try FS17 with MoreRealistic mod. Power requirement is well managed and also depends on how much material comes into the combine: if you have a 12m header but only cut half header you will nearly be able to go at same speed than with a 6m header.
On FS19 it's really badly managed by game engine and you will find that generally harvesting speed is just limited by speedLimit parameter and power requirement only impacts if you put a very big header on a small machine (you won't be able to turn on the combine)
moreRealistic fan !
FS19 "mr" on Old Farm Coutryside and Champs de France.
Give a try to ContractorMod!
Contractor Mod Beta version for FS22
All released mods source code is on Github
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I was curious...
It will pick up the biggest headers but won't run either.

Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
yumi

Post by yumi »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:26 am I was curious...
It will pick up the biggest headers but won't run either.
I did not check all combination, but I think if you choose a big header with a small combine like TX32 (bizon is really small), you will be alble to work with it and I don't think it's really possible IRL

Example here TX32 (160hp) with 12m AGCO header (requires 130hp from xml game file but I think it should only be able to start, not run at 10kph)
moreRealistic fan !
FS19 "mr" on Old Farm Coutryside and Champs de France.
Give a try to ContractorMod!
Contractor Mod Beta version for FS22
All released mods source code is on Github