what do you consider cheating

Crazof

Re: what do you consider cheating

Post by Crazof »

don't you mean the neighbors wife?
Rabbitbugs93

Post by Rabbitbugs93 »

Crazof wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:45 pm don't you mean the neighbors wife?
Ya my mistake
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

I actually meant that for chedly, he should go see the neighbors wife, forget the neighbor
humbe

Post by humbe »

Theres a similar thread about what limitations you set for yourself. There are no obvious goals in the game and depending on what you want to do different bits will be considered cheating.

I try to set an economic goal and thus I consider any mod making stuff available cheap is cheating. Selling land is cheating and taking a short term loan is cheating because of exploitable game mechanics.

Contracts seems too good too so next game I think I will define them as cheating too.
Rabbitbugs93

Post by Rabbitbugs93 »

Crazof wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 pm I actually meant that for chedly, he should go see the neighbors wife, forget the neighbor
Sorry my bad
Valko_inen

Post by Valko_inen »

humbe wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:00 pm Contracts seems too good too so next game I think I will define them as cheating too.
I'm sorry but what sort of contracts do you take?
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Personally, I resist using equipment that is un-realistically speedy or effective. Other than that I think the game is pretty under-fleshed and it's up to the player to add their own role play to the sand box. And with that in mind: anything goes. For instance, I think starting with no property, money or equipment is totally "un-realistic" so I start on New Farmer with a bunch of equipment that I role play as a mismanaged farm that my rich uncle who owns a massive trucking empire in Europe & North America bought as a money sink and put me in charge of getting it back on its feet. On top of putting me in charge of the farm he left me with the budget that I needed to properly run the farm effectively for the first year, with the understanding that I am fully self sufficient going into year two, and the original investment is paid back off by the end of year four.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

I base it off of the question what is the point, because if there's no clear point then you're just aimlessly driving tractors around, and it feels random and absurd. I like to put a scenerio into place like starting with $50 and a shovel, which would require all kinds of difficulties. When I play like this, I don't even load in the GS mod or borrow more than would seem reasonable.
Sometimes I just find something interesting I like about farming and skip whatever grind doesn't apply and start doing it. For example, I saw a video about soil maintenance techniques without chemicals so I just cheated in a bunch of money, built a farm like the video kind of had, and then reduced the money to a cash balance I think a farm of that size would maintain and started from there.
If the point is to just get more money, then you do have to start deciding what mods make it too easy. I do a quick calculation to deterime ROA, which should be around 5-10%. If it's closer to 20 or 30% then that's unrealistic, noone is that profitable, and it sounds like the Federal Trade Commission is at the door.
"The Commission enforces various antitrust laws through its Bureau of Competition. The two most significant statutory provisions are Section 5(a) of the FTC Act and the Clayton Act. Section 5(a) of the FTC Act, 15 U.S.C. Sec. 45(a), prohibits, inter alia, “unfair methods of competition.” Unfair methods of competition include any conduct that would violate the Sherman Antitrust Act or the Clayton Act. Among other things, the Clayton Act prohibits corporate acquisitions that may substantially lessen competition (Section 7, 15 U.S.C. Sec. 18) and also bars certain forms of price discrimination (Section 2 of the Robinson Patman Act, 15 U.S.C. Secs. 13-13b). aka You're going to F** jail bro."
On one savegame I had the buy anything silo and thought is was kind of cool to just buy a load of grain in the low sell price time of year and sell it when the price was high. Cheating? Maybe, but enjoyable, and that's the point. I remememer when the "cheat" of combining farms from multiplayer first was a thing and I would cheat in 10's of millions of dollars and create huge cereal farms. That was enjoyable too. Now, that seems like it would be pointless.
Also, i once slept with my neighbors wife and it was enjoybale so, was it cheating? Yeah, but it was enjoyable, so there you have it.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 pm Also, i once slept with my neighbors wife and it was enjoybale so, was it cheating? Yeah, but it was enjoyable, so there you have it.
Did she low and flick her tail? Might not have been the neighbors wife.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

jasonbarron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:14 pm
SimpleFarmer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 pm Also, i once slept with my neighbors wife and it was enjoybale so, was it cheating? Yeah, but it was enjoyable, so there you have it.
Did she low and flick her tail? Might not have been the neighbors wife.
Maybe, maybe not. Didn't know you wanted to get all technical about it - it's the concepts we're talking about here.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

I'm lazy that way; I can't resist the low hanging fruit :lol:
MacCLovin

Post by MacCLovin »

I'm having a hard time with this right now...playing on Westbridge Hills. I started as Farm Manager - and have been grinding out contracts. Problem is that I have small implements. 4M-6M at most. It's making things pretty difficult and a GRIIIIIIND.

I'm contemplating giving myself a little subsidy, but I keep going back and forth to get a bigger tractor with some bigger implements.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Valko_inen wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:32 pm
humbe wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:00 pm Contracts seems too good too so next game I think I will define them as cheating too.
I'm sorry but what sort of contracts do you take?
I take pretty much anything offered. Though I'm tired of transport missions so doing few of those unless price is really good or I'm in a dead period where I'm waiting for stuff, or would like a few extra bucks for something. I'm on hard economy, so they are worth considerable less than on easier difficulties, but they are very safe. Income with no risks.. And you can do tons from the start, while in the beginning you're very restricted by what lands you can buy for own income. (And I play with seasons, so there's plenty of time between harvests of own property).

They are all good, but fertilizer and harvester missions seems the best.. The first one because they're so quick, and the latter one because you get quite a bit of extra cash from selling harvested bits you don't need to trade in for the contract.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Serious question of a non farmer: is it common for farmers to do contracts for other farmers, as it's presented in this game?
humbe

Post by humbe »

I think so.. I'm a non-farmer, but I've got an uncle that was a farmer.. Farms used to be smaller and as everything was supposed to get cheaper, one needed to be more efficient to earn money.. The last decade he farmed, he and some fellow farmers used most of their time as a task force to help others harvest efficiently, so they could use gear that was not worth it for their own small pieces of land..