UK Farmers - why no love for Valtra?

BoxTunnel

UK Farmers - why no love for Valtra?

Post by BoxTunnel »

In my area (North Wiltshire) I see mainly, in this order, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, John Deere and the odd Fendt. However, on my drive home the other night I was hugely exited to see my first ever Valtra (disclaimer, I didn't know the difference between a Valtra and any other tractor until I picked this game up two years ago) and it was a beautiful piece of kit.

I'm assuming that I don't see many because they come from a country where you need a second mortgage to buy a pint and therefore are hugely expensive, but maybe there are thousands of the beasts in Northumberland, or Rutland or somewhere.

And while I'm here, are John Deere UK attempting the same thing as they are in the US in terms of not letting you fix your own tractors?

BT is curious.
Mellek

Re: UK Farmers - why no love for Valtra?

Post by Mellek »

I think it just depends on what dealerships there are in the area, I have been following Balmesh on YouTube for many years now and he has filmed plenty of Valtra tractors. He currently lives in Cumbria
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

BoxTunnel wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:14 am And while I'm here, are John Deere UK attempting the same thing as they are in the US in terms of not letting you fix your own tractors?

BT is curious.
What do you mean you can't fix your own tractors? We have nothing but jd and can fix our own or go somewhere else to get a part.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:18 pm What do you mean you can't fix your own tractors? We have nothing but jd and can fix our own or go somewhere else to get a part.
There is a thread on here somewhere explaining how John Deere are trying to put stuff in the small print (or something like that) saying if you have a problem with your kit JD have to fix it or you're out of warranty.

I'm not a real farmer my friend, but I vaguely remember the BBC Radio 4 "Farming Today" radio show mentioning it.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Oh I see. Idk about uk jd that's why I wondering what you meant. There are multiple shops around here that can get you there same jd part just a little cheaper. We deal mostly with our dealer but sometimes when something breaks we don't want to be waiting around for Deere to come or waiting for a part from them.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

It's the same as the auto industry a few years ago; independent garages or owners wanting access to technical data that authorised dealers can access. There was a court case a few years ago that decided the information should be made available.

The only Valtra I've seen was an older model on display at a show - it was on a Timber firms stand.
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

The Valtra's are certainly rare beasts near me. I occasionally see a tractor or two whilst commuting by cycle so it's often trundling past or in the opposite direction. More often than not they tend to be pulling a dumper trailer with a mini digger in the back, and its often a green JD. I have only once seen a white Valtra and it went past a T junction I was heading towards. Turns out it was pulling a chipper to a fencing company to dispose of their unwanted bits..
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

I saw another one today! It seems they are subtly moving in to North Wiltshire.

I also got very exited coming out of the Fairford (of airshow fame) Londis to find a Case Puma parked behind my little Vauxhall Corsa. If I was 40 years younger I might have been bold enough to ask the driver if I could sit in it!
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Theres a few around the South of England, I'd say once a month
Rabbitbugs93

Post by Rabbitbugs93 »

Can't speak for the UK but here in Ireland anyone I spoke too that had or has one mainly say there a good tractor but that they wouldn't buy one again..they got kinda popular a few years back but I don't see as many around these days,,could be the fact newholland,case an john deere are probably the most common here with the massey not far behind.
Irish farmer 91

Post by Irish farmer 91 »

There a good few round my part here, but mostly used for road work. Big seller here is SDF, then CNH followed by MF and JD
Playing on Ps4
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

Most sold tractor in my country, cheap, reliable, good and ugly (last one is just my opinion).

Or it is just because Valtra factory is not very far?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Valtr ... 25.9022994

"they come from a country where you need a second mortgage to buy a pint "
What you mean by that? Did not understand.
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

For me most funny part of the Valtra has always been the option that you can pick a color you like. When you buy JD, you always get
green/yellow. But for Valtra you can pick pink, one farmer girl from bought pink around here, there was news about it in local newspaper:
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

IceUul wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:41 am "they come from a country where you need a second mortgage to buy a pint "
What you mean by that? Did not understand.
As I understand it, a pint of beer is very expensive in Finland. A mortgage is a massive loan from a bank/building society (tens to hundreds of thousand GBP) paid over decades which most UK residents must use in order to own their own home.

In the UK if something is expensive you may hear something like "Blimey, that's steep, I'd need a second mortgage to afford that".

The obverse is "cheap as chips"!
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

I thought only Dennis from SR said blimey
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew: