What do ya guys think of the dlc?

Mwal

Re: What do ya guys think of the dlc?

Post by Mwal »

Because they don’t quadruple its several bushels to the acre more yield when drilling. When you take into account spraying for white mold and the extra seed when drilling and the pinpoint accuracy of a planter the margins get even tighter. What is now popular is planting in a 15 inch row with soybeans. If you see planters with odd number rows that’s what it’s for. Like this kinze here https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/Kinze20006 ... RowPlanter.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I probabky won't bother as I don't really use huge machinery. I barely used the other DLCs abyway; Anderson was interesting but I don't care for Cotton so ignored that too.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

The DLC looks nice, but I decided against purchasing. In my opinion, it doesn't add anything for me. I already have access to tractors and equipment of varying sizes. Thanks goodness I didn't get the season pass.
Personally, I would rather pay for new game play features that are not available for free elsewhere.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

^ New gameplay elements in a DLC is a tricky one. In one sense the more a DLC adds to truly expand the game the better, in another sense I don't think having some of them exclusive to a DLC would be good at all.

They managed to bridge the gap nicely with FS17's sugar cane DLC, where any map could be prepared for sugar cane, but only those with the DLC could use that equipment. Other than a bit of a faff for mappers, it largely worked well (the sugar cane success itself almost certainly less so!). And I suppose any modder could, in theory, add more sugar cane mods if they had wanted to for those who didn't have the DLC.

What I wouldn't want is a crop or gameplay feature which is unique to a DLC. If a base game was released every four years and an expansion after two years which added such GamePlay features, then it might be OK, but I wouldn't want to pay £15 to have a Platinum DLC where the only thing I wanted was the added functionality (say an extended place anywhere function), if I didn't want the 40 included buildings because they didn't suit my style. Release the 40 building DLC by all means, but add the new feature into the base game.

Straw Harvest or something similar on the other hand? That would be a better example of a decent DLC with new gameplay elements, where those who wanted it could have it, while those who didn't wouldn't miss out.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

Personally, I like it.
The huge drill will help a lot on Stone Valley where I've combined field 20 with the two East fields.
Needed 3.5 hours to plow with a 12m implement :P
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:30 pm Bourgault is from Canada, and I don't see any 700hp tractors working 100 foot air seeders in my parts. Heck I don't even undertand why real farms still plant soybeans with same row planter as corn instead of using a seeder set on 7.5 inch rows and quadrupling their bean crop with the same acreage. Maybe it's just a farmer thing?
Where are you in Canada? In Manitoba I saw a quadtrac baling straw last year :lol: We have lots of big equipment here but I guess it really depends on where you live in Canada.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:30 pm
Bourgault is from Canada, and I don't see any 700hp tractors working 100 foot air seeders in my parts. Heck I don't even undertand why real farms still plant soybeans with same row planter as corn instead of using a seeder set on 7.5 inch rows and quadrupling their bean crop with the same acreage. Maybe it's just a farmer thing?
I am in the middle of the Canadian prairies, from where I sit I can throw a rock and hit two big airseeders. :lol:

More rows doesn't mean more yield, you are still relying on the same amount of nutrients in the soil regardless of having 1 row or 4. in the simplest terms planting on 15" spacing means you can use less seed, get healthier plants and equal or higher yield than 8" spacing. I know guys who are starting to use corn planters on wide spacing for canola, cutting their seeding rate almost in half from the airseeder and getting the same yield.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Also some farms don't have the extra cash to spend on a seeder when they already have a planter. Plus it wouldn't be very financial sound to have a planter for just corn and a seeder just for soybeans.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:44 pm
CowsGoMoo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:30 pm
Bourgault is from Canada, and I don't see any 700hp tractors working 100 foot air seeders in my parts. Heck I don't even undertand why real farms still plant soybeans with same row planter as corn instead of using a seeder set on 7.5 inch rows and quadrupling their bean crop with the same acreage. Maybe it's just a farmer thing?
I am in the middle of the Canadian prairies, from where I sit I can throw a rock and hit two big airseeders. :lol:

More rows doesn't mean more yield, you are still relying on the same amount of nutrients in the soil regardless of having 1 row or 4. in the simplest terms planting on 15" spacing means you can use less seed, get healthier plants and equal or higher yield than 8" spacing. I know guys who are starting to use corn planters on wide spacing for canola, cutting their seeding rate almost in half from the airseeder and getting the same yield.
I'm in North Dakota, and we actually seed our soybeans in 20" rows. It allows more photosynthesis to occur per plant when the row canopy remains open later into the year. Assuming a normal moisture year of course. With wider rows, the canopies remain open into late July and allow more sunlight to get in. And as you said, lower seed rate and comparable yields.
garyst

Post by garyst »

In my area more than half the soybeans are planted on 36" or 38" row spacing, although the seeds are planted very close together in the rows.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

We plant our beans with a Case ih 950 cyclo 15" 15 row. We only plant 30" rows if we are short on time in the spring.
Poizonous

Post by Poizonous »

Personally I'm loving this dlc. Only thing that would make it better would be to replace the 9RX with a Versatile 610DT, but that won't happen, at least not in this game.

Fun fact: I live a short distance from the Bourgault headquarters and factory.
PS4 FS15/FS17/FS19 | PS Vita FS14/FS16/FS18
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

Since we're hot on Canadian farming, anyone wanted Houle equipment?
I know I do!
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I downloaded some on pc. We have a houle tanker here.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

george.earlslight wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:00 am Since we're hot on Canadian farming, anyone wanted Houle equipment?
I know I do!
Proudly Canadian player here, and yes, Houle equipment should be in.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)