For All You SkidSteer Masters Out There...

What Type of Skidsteer Do You Drive?

Farming Simulator Skidsteer Operator
48%
Real Life Skidsteer Operator
10%
A Little Bit or Both
43%

Total votes: 42

Dairydeere

For All You SkidSteer Masters Out There...

Post by Dairydeere »

So, my dad grew up in the seat of a skidsteer in Minnesota, and I have a fair bit of experience in skidsteers as well. I am now getting some experience in Farm Sim skidsteer operation, and I wanted to ask you fellow simmers: What is your experience with skidsteers, RL or FS, and what is your opinion on their operation capabilities? (redglasses, I want some input here :wink3: )

In my personal opinion, Giants should have a different setup for steering skidsteers. In every single skid loader I’ve driven, they have a stick for each hand. The left one (forward and backward) controls the left set of wheels, the right controls the right set. Moving in and out, left controls the boom height, right controls the attachment tilt. I am perfectly happy with how the boom controls are, but I feel like having the single left and right key for steering leads to some over-corrected turns and slightly unnecessary wheelies. Great for a parade, but that is also the main reason I’m not too keen for them. Nothing against them, but I would love to see a change make to them. Let me know what your opinions are. *thumbsup*
Last edited by Dairydeere on Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Illinois Farmer

Re: For All You SkidSteer Masters Out There...

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Our skid steer has arms to push forward to go forward, pull back to go back, and alternate one or the other to turn. We have foot pedals to control the bucket. I prefer foot pedals over the little handles.

Edit: I do put a skid loader on every fs farm, but I drive one irl a lot more.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

What model skidsteer? We have always run Case (Deere isn’t a popular skidsteer brand where I’m at), my dad ran an old Gehl, also Case 435, and now we run a SR210
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Happy farming!
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

I have a friend in real life who has a bobcat and I used to have one of the newhollands
in the game
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Jd 326e has a door on it, so it is heated and has air conditioning.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Lots of old bobcats have foot controls. But new ones have the option for hand controls or the option that allows you to switch between them.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

One time for a home repair project I rented a JD 317. Fun little toy to play with. I also rented a Kubota U35 mini excavator.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
NSfarmer

Post by NSfarmer »

A lot of new or newer skid steers have ISO controls. Left stick is for forward and reverse and steering, right controls the boom and bucket.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

ISO controls are the only controls once you get use to them. Cat makes the best skid steer hands down a cat 299 will push dump belly dumps. As far as how I use them I’m a construction worker, I run equipment for a living and usually every job we do has one on site. I have done everything from build dikes in residential neighborhoods during a flood fight to put them into tanks with a excavator and use it to clean the tank. They have all but replaced small dozers and loaders and ease of moving is another plus. Farming we also have one pick rocks move seed pallets clean brush up cleaning barn and the list could go on and on.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Our Case SR210 is for the calf guys mainly, pushed feed in there, cleans bedding, also moves salt block pallets in the pens, and then it will get the occasional use of helping a downed cow or roughing the walkways. It’s a mechanical start, and after the electric start SR200, my dad doesn’t want to go back

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Thing is, that different brands have different control options, either foot or a hand. Case has hand controls and that's my personal preference.
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

True, but I think most brands are conforming to iso style, the type where a one hand steers and the other runs bucket and boom. The last three brands we have tried out didn’t even have foot peddles come so you could change and only one had the option to do the other style of hand controls. Everything is starting to head that way loaders have to be special ordered to get two joysticks cat blades no longer have a steering wheel either.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

My old mustang has hand controlled steering, twist throttle on the stick ( motorcycle type) and foot controls for the hydraulics. She’s a real joy to run.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

My dad showed me the old Gehl he drove when he was young, looks very interesting to drive with no cab in a manure pit :lol:

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Mwal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:15 pm True, but I think most brands are conforming to iso style, the type where a one hand steers and the other runs bucket and boom. The last three brands we have tried out didn’t even have foot peddles come so you could change and only one had the option to do the other style of hand controls. Everything is starting to head that way loaders have to be special ordered to get two joysticks cat blades no longer have a steering wheel either.
Was looking at few new ones and Dealer told me they you could choose which hand style you want. Just flip a switch. I believe that was bobcat
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!