Seasons grass

dunnjob

Seasons grass

Post by dunnjob »

I have searched the forum for this but can't find the answer.

Do you have to replant grass every year in seasons? I have gone through the cycle but the grass does not seem to start growing again in the spring. The field status says harvested. Am I just not being patient enough?
We are all ignorant, we are all just ignorant about different things.

Recent convert to PC on FS19
CowsGoMoo

Re: Seasons grass

Post by CowsGoMoo »

You never have to replant grass, however 'grass' is a type on crop rotation and does affect yield. There is also one other fruit type falling in 'grass' category but I can't remember what it is.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
L2K Perma

Post by L2K Perma »

dunnjob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:56 am I have searched the forum for this but can't find the answer.

Do you have to replant grass every year in seasons? I have gone through the cycle but the grass does not seem to start growing again in the spring. The field status says harvested. Am I just not being patient enough?
What geo are you using?
FS13 - Xbox 360
FS15 - Xbox 360/Xbox One
FS17 - Xbox One
FS19 - PC

PC specs: i5-8600k, M22 Kraken AIO cooler, 16GB ddr4 ram, RTX 2070 Super, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:29 am You never have to replant grass, however 'grass' is a type on crop rotation and does affect yield. There is also one other fruit type falling in 'grass' category but I can't remember what it is.
Sugarcane
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

Are you using the latest version of seasons? I seem to remember an update which fixed second year grass growth.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Midwest geo if you cut in the fall your grass won’t grow back. Until the middle of summer.
Max4hdmatt77

Post by Max4hdmatt77 »

Mwal wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:09 am Midwest geo if you cut in the fall your grass won’t grow back. Until the middle of summer.
Well thats dumb. Thats definitely not realistic
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Well irl if you cut too late like late fall you run the risk or frost or snow and it could kill the alfalfa and it won't grow back at all.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Max4hdmatt77 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:43 am
Mwal wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:09 am Midwest geo if you cut in the fall your grass won’t grow back. Until the middle of summer.
Well thats dumb. Thats definitely not realistic
It is dumb! I already need to cut my front & back lawns and it's the middle of March! So why do we have to wait so long in the frigging game?
Illinois Farmer

Well I agree the first cut should be late spring, but it will take longer than your yards to grow before cutting because it is growing taller than what you let your lawn grow. My lawn is no way close to being cut yet, irl.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Max4hdmatt77

Post by Max4hdmatt77 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:32 pm Well irl if you cut too late like late fall you run the risk or frost or snow and it could kill the alfalfa and it won't grow back at all.
Yea thats how alfalfa works. Not grass. I worked on a farm where all we did was make hay from alfalfa. I dont understand why alfalfa isnt a base crop in the game. But back to the grass. Ive worked in lawn and landscape for 15 years. I know grass takes longer to grow but nowhere on the US are you letting youre grass field grow and not cut it till mid summer early fall. Youre animals would be starving or you would be broke from buying so much hay. (If you needed a good amount of hay)
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:34 pm Well I agree the first cut should be late spring, but it will take longer than your yards to grow before cutting because it is growing taller than what you let your lawn grow. My lawn is no way close to being cut yet, irl.
Wanna bet? You clearly haven't seen my lawn the last cut was last September. It is a good 8-9 inches if not more. :lol:
Illinois Farmer

Like I said I agree it should be moved to late spring to early summer, but I guarantee we would still have enough hay if we're didn't cut until middle summer. Your lawn grows different than a field if grass. You have to let the grass grow taller which takes longer than your lawn. Irl you would adjust and plant multiple grass fields if you didn't get enough that you wanted after 1 year.
Max4hdmatt77

Post by Max4hdmatt77 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm Like I said I agree it should be moved to late spring to early summer, but I guarantee we would still have enough hay if we're didn't cut until middle summer. Your lawn grows different than a field if grass. You have to let the grass grow taller which takes longer than your lawn. Irl you would adjust and plant multiple grass fields if you didn't get enough that you wanted after 1 year.
Oh absolutely for an established farmer. Someone thats just starting out (like you do in game) you would run out quick without having multiple grass fields.
Illinois Farmer

Hardly any farmer starting is going to drive head first into a big animal production that would require a ton of hay. Unless they are buying a family member out, but even then there is a system and land planned out. I would recommend to anyone in the game not to start animals until year 2 when you have built up a reserve to be used.