Crop duster mod

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Chainsaw_Sally

Re: Crop duster mod

Post by Chainsaw_Sally »

Sent you a PM Zip. Been mad this end with full UK lock-down as we battle the bug, so no progress yet but hoping to make some spare time in the evenings to move things along with the fixed wing script.

I'm still considering should we implement auto rudder and how to incorporate secondary control effects and also trim. I'm leaning towards making them optional. I'm guessing most people using FS will not have rudder pedals and perhaps do not know about trimming, secondary effects, coordinating rudder inputs, so in all though we would probably ourselves go for a totally full on flight model, I think I need to keep in mind that this should be scalable to the user.

We have the interesting situation where the flight we want to model is about as extreme as stick and rudder flying gets, yet we need to keep in mind that FS has both realism and 'fun' at the center, so careful considering from the start of how much 'assist' the player gets is going to be a deal maker. Though I'm always going to be drawn by 'realistic' we don't want the planes so hard to fly the players need real world training first, else the only result may be a lot of YouTube videos of people crashing!

One concept that did come up on the thread I linked to on reddit was 'y lock' the idea that once say the player hits the joystick trigger for 'spray on' the plane locks in the y axis to skim a set height above the ground. This sounds very useful. I also considered assist in the end of swath turns. I'm think altitude is going to be an issue, particularly on the smaller maps in terms of simply being able to see beyond the map and also draw distance of scenery. End of swath turns fall into a range of 300 - 500 ft according to an actual pilot I spoke to, depending on weight of a/c, I'm think a total of a 1000 ft agl would be ample in game for transit flights.

It sounds promising though, thanks for filling me in that all the elements needed for fixed wing flight are there!
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

is this going to be released on mod hub if so when?
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

FSarndrone wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 pm is this going to be released on mod hub if so when?
Patience, Padawan. :biggrin2: He's got to develop a whole new form of controls and develop quite a bit of script. Which I imagine means console players like me won't be able to get it, but I still look forward to seeing it in action someday.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
zippyo

Post by zippyo »

I feel awful about this pc vs console issue but it is not hopeless. there are very talented peepz round here and I'm confident that it could reach testing once all aspects of the script are groomed. As for now it is at the stage where quite a few things will change as I am very close to making it public (not likely on modhub) so that people can start hacking away at it with their own ideas, but only with a script that is not banging out errors on every update. The script is at that stage right now so keep hopes high mate.
The released pack will not be complete for some time but it clearly demonstrates the power of lua in the engine and I would like to think of it as a marker from which all else will stem.
I also made it into an R/C model think along drones :) as I flew it around from standing on the ground ... possibilities...

zip
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

No worries. I don't really think of it as a versus/adversarial kind of thing. I look at it more as just different advantages. With a computer, you have a wider variety of things you can do, but with a console, I'm less prone to the errors and mod conflicts that a computer has. And who knows, if it works good enough, maybe Giants will put the scripting in an official update.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Chainsaw_Sally

Post by Chainsaw_Sally »

Hi Zip,

Been test flying the Kamov!

So first impressions. The bird flies!

The main issues which I think you are aware of, no roll in forward flight. No crab in hover.

Overall it seems bound to the limitations of the existing control scripts and I saw some old posts going way back to when it came out noting these limitations.

Mapping that could work on a joy stick such as the Extreme 3D Pro

Twist for yaw in hover (would be foot control in real aircraft)

Stick left/Stick Right, crab in hover, becomes roll/turn in forward or reverse flight beyond a certain velocity

Collective would benefit from mapping to an axis for precise control. This could be the throttle on the 3D Pro

I got my son to try it also, he has more experience of flight in games like GTA, where mine is sims and real world fix wing.

We both felt that though it works and in many ways very well, it takes just a little too much concentration and the missing control elements mean a simple job like spraying a field or making a precise landing is going to be hard work.

I think joystick control and addressing the missing control aspects could make the Kamov a beast, the acid test would be can a field be sprayed with ease? (I mean here would it actually be fun)

Tried joy pad results were a bit odd. R2 caused collective to go max and extreme nose down pitch, L2 caused collective to go min and extreme tail down attitude so was unflyable with joy pad.

Totally flyable on mouse and keyboard, with above discussed control limitations.
zippyo

Post by zippyo »

ok remember still pegging controls and input but you have to rebind your accelerate and brake in pad so the left stick turns yaws and for and aft translates...then triggers on pad control collective
right now you have default binding acc and brake on the triggers
it will fly different with analog input for forward cuz you can control forward pitch it is quite nice
try and see
i was able to make simulated passes on field and turn around reasonably well keep in mind angular velocity will be dampened by forward translation so to turn you kinda gotta feed throttle in

zip

edit bit more complicated when we try to teach the engine to fly so we can learn to fly in the engine ... finesse lad and we will get this
Chainsaw_Sally

Post by Chainsaw_Sally »

OK, get that with the joy pad.

Zip, do you want me to look into the limitation and Joy Stick mapping? In every way they are areas I will need to address for the fixed wing script, so the cross-over with the Kamov might be where I should step in now you have done the hard work of getting it up and running in FS19. Let me know because we can avoid both working in the same areas.
zippyo

Post by zippyo »

most definitely mate i want the input from all as well you see what i don't and it means faster progress. I would love to see snippets of code and ideas from everyone that is engaged in the topic not the drive-by bangers.
All ask is that it all goes through here at this forum post so all that want to undertake their own go at it can see from where to where its heading if u know what I mean
It will be posted here soon for all to see and make suggestions adjustments ... when all goes bad go back to square one cuz it works and start anew
dig in and stay awhile....as it is its been an amazing ride for the past few weeks

zip
Chainsaw_Sally

Post by Chainsaw_Sally »

Yep totally, same for when I get the fixed wing script up and running, be best all directed through this forum post. Some people will want to jump the gun, but if we collect those in genuine pursuit of perfecting flight in FS19 here, all will be good. From my own experience, if someone is serious about it, Google will lead them here.
zippyo

Post by zippyo »

Now that processing power increased by a cranium to chomp at dynamics I want to devote a bit of time to the particle effects for spray and dynamic dust from rotors.
The sprayer is functioning by game mechanics but I've had the PS effects hidden and commented out so just had a quick test to refill and turn on the sprayer and all is good so far it is dispersing its load so in the name of making it actually functional for others (cuz I would just b happy flyin it around), I will give it an honest effort.
Also been looking deeply at the prop blur and I think today I will plug it in the script as well and see where we end up. dug up a joy as well with twist for yaw and slider for throttle in this case collective so that is on the list as well to see how the engine looks at it.

But every now and then I find a few minutes with no code or debugger and just getting to grips with flying becoming my primary way of getting around the 8KM map all of a sudden offering such a new face of old reality as you fly passed AG work on the ground in the different fields while on your way with another hopper of goo to do your job. I see a fairly deep integration possibility with this style of game.
zippyo

Post by zippyo »

Ahoy Chainsaw from Canada , I hope all is buttoned down in the UK as we prepare for this 'single celler' to envelope the region. They cut the numbers loose on us (Ontario) yesterday...looking grim.
The development has been derailed for obvious reasons but last nite I jammed some extra mesh in the i3d and started swapping geometry dynamically by the script for the rotor blur. At the rate I'm goin it will be a while, but I also feel the need to draw some amperage through my brain. just a few days of disconnect from the code and it feels like I'm picking up the pieces constantly.

somewhat eager to hear your input even though I understand time has become a different commodity for us all

wishing all the best on your end of things and still a big cheers

zip
zippyo

Post by zippyo »

hear the UK is locking down another 3 weeks ... Chainsaw u ok mate? been worryingly quiet on your end.

zip
KIW1

Post by KIW1 »

i'm a little late, but i've been looking for a flight script for 19 for a while now, i was wondering if it was installed similar to the way it was in 17?
Simone Bones

Post by Simone Bones »

What a pity. Seems like this topic stuck :(