Medicine Creek - FPS nightmare

Miketeg

Medicine Creek - FPS nightmare

Post by Miketeg »

Hello !

Am I the only one that struggle with FPS on that specific map ? I usually run maps with a solid 50-60FPS, with eveything almost at max (except Vsync)

On this map, I can't even reach 25FPS, i'm more around 15 to 20...which is almost not playable.

I tried the NVIDIA trick proposed on this forum, it helped, but maybe 1 or 2 FPS

I did try without any mods, it was better at like 24 solid...sometimes 26.

I drop setting to High instead of very high, reduced FOV to 65, tried with a 1920 resolution and no difference AT ALL...

I do have a decent computer, not the newest, but still a pretty solid built and like I said at the beginning, I usually have no issue.

Here's my setup playing on a 28 inches screen at the highest resolution ( 3840*2160 )
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x OC to 4.2ghz
ASUS 1070TI ROG edition (8go of RAM)
16 gb of RAM
All running on M.2 disk

I think that this map is just pretty badly optimized...but I still want to play it...but having this FPS plus frequent drop to 2-3...it's just unplayable...

Any tricks ?
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Illinois Farmer

Re: Medicine Creek - FPS nightmare

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I don't think it is. Most of the trees you can't even cut. Where did you download it from? I saw a incorrect version on the modnetwork. My tv only goes up to 720 and I run the map with no issues unless my controller is low on batteries Haha. I ended up in the creek there one time ha.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

I did got it from the official Facebook page and I have the latest version
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

It runs fine on my laptop maybe you have some conflicting mods or something
Illinois Farmer

I know it doesn't look as good but maybe turn down the tv revolution or go medium graphics.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Farmercaseih wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:32 pm It runs fine on my laptop maybe you have some conflicting mods or something
I did try without mod and it was a bit better but not that much.

That's really strange and it *censored* since I really want to play this real US map!
Illinois Farmer

I really enjoy the map. I have about 500 acres with 100 salers cattle and 500 old spot hogs. I downloaded the land lease mod and will start using that too. I don't play with courseplay or follow me mod either ha.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

The map looks awesome and fits exaclty from what I like... that's why i'm trying to find a solution to play on it.
Illinois Farmer

Yeah I hope you can figure something out.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

So after removing all mods, im still having issue...can't get it.

Just found a new us map called Nebraska Land which look pretty good and I have a 90 fps, so that will be it!
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

My pc struggles too.i think it's just a very dense map
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

I got the same problem. First of all i have quite powerful PC.
Usually i download map, there are not much things lying around on the map, i do the test, drive around, i check
how it works. Needs to be solid 60fps at launch, otherwise later i buy lot of equipment, then fps drops starts, around 30-60fps, that's ok.
But this map at launch already i had fps drops same like you got, sometimes below 30fps and for me it is unplayable, i can't even
add any equipment on it. I have steam version FS19, fresh install, no modifications.

I have similar problems with some 4x maps also, which has too much things on them. Also the 16x map was problematic.
All the Giants tested maps on modhub work very well, i need to buy lot of equipment to get fps below 60.

And the reason from my opinion: it is 4x map and has too much objects on it.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

A lot of US maps are badly optimized both with clip distances on objects and there use of custom foliage types.
Also some of the map objects often used on US maps are extremely high polys which adds to the negative effect on fps.
Another common issue is textures on map objects have been saved off in the incorrect format.

You would have thought it would bug them when playing it at that low an fps. But it seems a trait that has been connected with US maps for a long time.

The differences between players may also be down to there CPU. A high speed single core CPU works better than a bigger multi core CPU on Farm Sim.

Depends how much time your willing to fix the map, but you could check the foliage xmls and see if there running a very high numBlocksPerUnit value, this alone can cripple any map if set too high.

If you notice the fps drops in certain areas, load the map up in GE and go to that area. Select the various models to see what poly count they are. (When selected it will show top left of the scenegraph in total selected triangles)

Also if you notice textures on map objects flickering or having a strange artefact glitch when moving the camera around that is a sure sign of a texture file saved off incorrectly. You would need to locate that texture file and save it off properly.

Lastly you could see what clip distances the author has set for his objects.
A good method is to group objects into different transforms depending on there size and visibilty.

Then you can just alter the clip distance of the parent transform to lower all the objects contained within that transform to a much lower amount.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Thanks for these info BulletBill. There's a lot of glitching texture on that map, building (shed mostly), ground, etc.

So looks like you spot the issue, but I do not have the time to work on a map (you modders are my idols for the time you take to create a map!)

So I will just ignore that map for now...

Thanks all for your time to reply !
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

Miketeg wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:52 pm So I will just ignore that map for now...
Same for me also.

Thanks for good explanation @Bulletbill , this is too much work for me... but let's hope
the modder will take this into account for future.