US TV Cancellation policy.

BoxTunnel

US TV Cancellation policy.

Post by BoxTunnel »

This is SO far off topic, but as this is the only forum I use and I know we have many US friends also using it - what the hell is going on with brilliant US TV series getting cancelled?

Because of this lockdown I've been watching a shed load of TV, but I'm getting extremely frustrated by shows that are cancelled after a season or two. Therefore, I am extremely reluctant to start watching a new series. Therefore US networks cancel that series. Therefore people like me do not start watching new series as they may get cancelled. Therefore the show is cancelled because nobody wants to watch it.

Surely this is a business model that any half sane person knows would fail.

This is not an accusation that US TV is poor, the shows that do "pass the test" are often fantastic, and certainly better than the usual hogwash (with a few exceptions) that the BBC forces on us UK residents.

Before I watch anything new now, I google it and see how many seasons it has and, more importantly, if when cancelled it finishes on a cliffhanger. If it does, I simply won't watch it and we are back to the vicious circle again.

BoxTunnel, needs something good to watch.
Illinois Farmer

Re: US TV Cancellation policy.

Post by Illinois Farmer »

What show are you talking about? There are so many different ones that a lot of shows don't make it. The only ones I watch now a days are friends- over, how I met your mother- over, all 3 Chicago shows and swat.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

Just started watching Salvation and found it was cancelled after two seasons, but other favourites were Invasion, Surface, Dark Skies which are all nineties shows cancelled early and the reason why I don't tend to watch US shows. Having found out Salvation was cancelled I'm going to see it through as apparently no cliffhanger ending.

When the US networks back a show they are amazing (True Detective first series, West Wing, 24, CSI and for old folk like me Miami Vice, Hill Street Blues, Homicide: Life on the Street, ER, NYPD Blue) it's just extremely annoying when shows are cancelled suddenly (or become rubbish like GoT because the "showrunners" a term that I hate, want to do something else (which backfired on them)).

You will often read reviews in the British media praising (quite correctly) US shows that then suddenly disappear. Having said that, the only British shows I watch currently are Line of Duty and The Last Kingdom.

Not having a go at US telly, just annoyed that US networks don't give the more obscure/sci-fi/cutting edge shows much of a chance.

If you or anyone else has some recommendations I am open for advice, I have plenty of time on my hands right now!

BoxTunnel, needing good drama.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

It’s because you can only be so edgy on network tv in the US
Illinois Farmer

I agree boxtunnel I get annoyed on it too. If you liked er, my wife loves grey's anatomy. There are a lot of seasons and lovey dovey drama but good medical stuff as well. Sil pumping out new seasons. I also recommended the Chicago shows and criminal minds.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

Cheers Illinois Farmer, I've watched a fair bit of Grey's Anatomy years ago but could be worth another look. What are the Chicago shows?
Illinois Farmer

Chicago med, fire and pd. They had justice too but only like 2 seasons. Pd is the best than fire and lastly med. It is on NBC still on Wednesday nights here in the states. They r on hulu. Idk about Netflix.
Illinois Farmer

BoxTunnel wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 am Cheers Illinois Farmer, I've watched a fair bit of Grey's Anatomy years ago but could be worth another look. What are the Chicago shows?
I forgot to tell you about the ranch. It is on Netflix. Check it out if you haven't yet.