Possible to landscape realistic dirt roads on console?

CaptGoodvibes

Possible to landscape realistic dirt roads on console?

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

I’ve been trying to learn the landscaping tool and today I’m stuck trying to make a realistic dirt road across a grass field to a hay barn. I really love the dirt roads on the Greenwich Valley map. I mean, they are amazing! The roads behind the cow farm and the road across the paved road that goes parallel to the drainage ditch are exactly what I want to be able to emulate.

Is this possible on console? Does anyone have a link to a tutorial or suggestions that might help?

Thanks so much!
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
humbe

Re: Possible to landscape realistic dirt roads on console?

Post by humbe »

Giants editor can do far more fancy things than landscaping can. I've tried to make some simple roads on farm by using gravel ot asphalt texture in landscaping tool but its impossible to get a natural looking side, as you are limited to painting pretty big squares or circles..

Landscaping tool could use a real brushup for FS21. Maybe they could reuse editor functionality for landscaping tool ingame..
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

As long as the landscaping works a little bit, they're probably done with it.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

It would be nice to be able to make smaller patchy grass spots in the middle of dirt roads. the smallest to me is still too big.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Short answer: No...

Long Answer: Console can't support the functionality of GIANTS Editor, so all they can do is make an extremely basic terrain editor.

All your ever going to achieve with the ingame editor is very basic terrain and very basic sandbox placeable style yards.

Telling players "build your own farm" was and is highly misleading from GIANTS as it makes a lot of players think far more is possible than actually is.

What it sounds like to me is your a creative mapper at heart and would really enjoy GIANTS Editor on PC to make your own map.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

I've actually achieved fairly good results with the landscaping tool creating dirt roads and yards on PS4. Like anything it takes a bit of practice but it is perfectly possible.
When creating a double track I start with the grass in the middle with the smallest brush size then you can lay the dirt either side and trim down the middle strip. I sometimes park a vehicle to use as a template to get the correct width for the track and finish off the sides by painting grass to merge the track back in to the field. You can then dot leaves and puddles as you see fit to give it a more natural look.

Edit: I should've stated you need to paint a fairly wide strip of your basic dirt colour first to define your basic track route then start with the middle strip of grass etc.
Hoss1

Post by Hoss1 »

On the Xbox, I use the exact method Ritchie described. It isn’t perfect, but as stated previously: patience and practice works well.
Playing on Xbox since FS15
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I did that in about 30 mins on my xbox, the only downside is, the grass strip in the middle is about the width of the TTHD Flatbed, but that's about as real as I could make it look.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

kind of like a 3 lane highway made with dirt and grass.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

It looks close to either as larger tractor or harvester. You can get a narrower path, but that requires using the round tool, which requires a ton of patience and a steady hand.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I have done the same as Ritchie but I started with a road width of grass and filled in with dirt around my middle section not concerning myself with how the outside of the road looks just keeping the middle grass strip narrow. Then I come back with grass and fill in the edges of the road to make the edges crisp. Mine is pretty narrow fits a tractor well.
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Thanks for the all great ideas! I’ll be trying the center strip and variations soon. I don’t mind the suggestion to learn the dev tools either 😉

Cheers!
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 am It would be nice to be able to make smaller patchy grass spots in the middle of dirt roads. the smallest to me is still too big.
I'm not the only guy who feels this way! :biggrin2:
CaptGoodvibes wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:57 pm I’ve been trying to learn the landscaping tool and today I’m stuck trying to make a realistic dirt road across a grass field to a hay barn. I really love the dirt roads on the Greenwich Valley map. I mean, they are amazing! The roads behind the cow farm and the road across the paved road that goes parallel to the drainage ditch are exactly what I want to be able to emulate.

Is this possible on console? Does anyone have a link to a tutorial or suggestions that might help?

Thanks so much!
In response to your OP, CaptGoodVibes, what I like to do is make a grass path where the road goes, then take the next-size-smaller brush and paint dirt inside of that. Then decorate as you please. I find that doing a very small patchy grass path with the smallest brush size looks very good (I recommend making patches by editing it from a distance). Just a bit of amateur advice :P
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

I use similar methods as others mentioned, however I have also managed to use terrain editor to make bumps and dips, the secret is in adjusting the strength accordingly
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

Captain goodvibes check out Fs landscaping on YouTube, it is a club I own on Xbox but recently I’ve been uploading a lot of members clips to YouTube plus I’m trying to build a map from scratch on No mans land with tutorials, I know the PC guys will probably laugh but unfortunately it’s as good as we can get on console, I’m definitely no Bullet Bill that’s for sure
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw