Seasons, Fallow Fields and Grass

Graham1969

Seasons, Fallow Fields and Grass

Post by Graham1969 »

I have a question regarding seasons and fallow fields.

When a player has to leave a field fallow, does that player have to leave the field empty or can a player just plant grass on it. If yes, would the player lose out on yield still.

In the UK where I am, I never see empty fields.

Thanks in advance,
trainee seasons gamer lol
eric21

Re: Seasons, Fallow Fields and Grass

Post by eric21 »

Means leaving it empty, usually after harvesting, it's very common in the UK, fields are left untouched for a a month or more ice seen in the uk
humbe

Post by humbe »

Grass and fallow are two different categories in crop rotation so pretty sure it isnt fallow if you seed grass. If it had grass to begin with I think that is ok but I suspect youll loose the fallow state after any fieldwork including mowing..
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Fallow would be working your fields and leaving then sit for a year without planting anything. Idea being to let the trash from the last harvest fully rot and put nutrients back into the soil before planting something that takes nutrients away again.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

As it was explained to me by someone who worked on seasons to get the "fallow" status in the game you can't harvest the field from day 1 of the year to the last day of the year.
Unfortunately for your exact question, I don't do anything with grass so I can't say if growing that would count or not. Al lI can say is try it on a small field, or patch of a field?
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Kamoore65536

Post by Kamoore65536 »

While fallow is a way to improve the soil nutrients by not planting anything it also can be a detriment if you farm in an area of constant winds. When I was growing up we usually planted the fields that had a wind erosion problem with a mix of Timothy, alfalfa, and rye grass. it kept the top soil from blowing away and gave us a nutrient to plow into the field in the spring. As most farms where I grew up now use minimum tillage that seems to be an option not currently used.
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Kamoore65536 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:19 pm While fallow is a way to improve the soil nutrients by not planting anything it also can be a detriment if you farm in an area of constant winds. When I was growing up we usually planted the fields that had a wind erosion problem with a mix of Timothy, alfalfa, and rye grass. it kept the top soil from blowing away and gave us a nutrient to plow into the field in the spring. As most farms where I grew up now use minimum tillage that seems to be an option not currently used.
You could put in those oilseed radish or whatever they are
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Kamoore65536 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:19 pm While fallow is a way to improve the soil nutrients by not planting anything it also can be a detriment if you farm in an area of constant winds. When I was growing up we usually planted the fields that had a wind erosion problem with a mix of Timothy, alfalfa, and rye grass. it kept the top soil from blowing away and gave us a nutrient to plow into the field in the spring. As most farms where I grew up now use minimum tillage that seems to be an option not currently used.
fallow doesn't have to be tillage. Chem-fallow is an option also where you harvest then leave the stubble and just spray for weeds a couple times in a season. It is done less now that continue cropping is the norm but chem-fallow was popular around here 20-30 years ago.
Spraying for weeds wouldn't be necessary in the game though since weed control is so simplified that you don't have to worry about weed seed carryover.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

Surprised the OP hasn't seen fallow fields in the UK, very common 'round my way.