fs17 revisited

Cokey

fs17 revisited

Post by Cokey »

Im a 1st time poster but long time fs fan. So recently i re-purchased fs17 after hundreds of hours on fs19 and im so glad i did. Ive just missed the feeling of loving a map that i just couldnt get with fs19. Greenwich valley was probably the closest i got but it never felt like 'home'. And i say this even as a console player. I do miss the mods that come with fs19 and i will probably return in the future but at the moment the sounds and colours of fs17 feel so welcoming. Anyone else feel the same?
Mobias

Re: fs17 revisited

Post by Mobias »

The environment in FS-17 undoubtedly looks a lot better. Maps look much nicer and far more immersive. The FS19 harsh lighting is just so unforgiving on various environment textures making everything look really flat. On PC you can muck about with shaders and get the game looking somewhat nicer, does make a lot of fiddling with though.

Its pretty clear Giants put a lot of effort into making the vehicle and implement textures better with their new lighting system at the expense of making the environment looking much worse. A nice shiny tractor is worth exactly nothing if the maps don't feel immersive.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Mobias wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:36 am
Its pretty clear Giants put a lot of effort into making the vehicle and implement textures better with their new lighting system at the expense of making the environment looking much worse. A nice shiny tractor is worth exactly nothing if the maps don't feel immersive.
I couldn't agree more *thumbsup*
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

Exactly. If we could get the gameplay and mods of 19 with the environments of 17 that would be pretty much the ideal game. Have any of you found a map on 19 that comes close in feel to 17?
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Oakfield and RADE2k19 for me but apart from that no. I still play The West Coast now and again and I’m thinking about starting CPF again
Dagrump

Post by Dagrump »

I am in complete agreement with the Op. When you add the "Skyswap" mod along with the skypack mod, FS17 really comes to life but the mods will probably never be adaptable to FS19. I am not sure these mods are available for FS17 console players but they should be.

As far as FS19 maps, I recently started on Seneca County Ohio and I am amazed at how good it looks - even the water in the stream looks like water but it definitely does not have the aesthetics of FS17.

Even at that I put too many hours into both games. :smileynew:
Farming with a Dell PC on Maps:
FS17: Loan Oaks Farm and Western Shore
FS19: Upper Mississippi River Valley, Bucks County, Pa, Huron County Michigan
FS22 Back Roads County, Stone Valley 22, Green Valley Nebraska and Huron County Michigan
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Still don't know what all the lighting problems are everyone complains about. I mean besides being too dark to see by 8 pm. It does get a bit too dark at night, but 17 was also way too light and some maps were made extra dark at night.

I dabbled with 17 here and there but its hard to go back completely. Even with the problems in 19 there are still features not available on 17. Would be a different story if I was on pc, there were mods and ways to alter files to get what I needed/wanted.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Cokey

Post by Cokey »

For me its the over- saturation of the pallettes that puts me off 19. Im a lorry driver irl who visits farms daily and ive never seen luminous green grass anywhere. Ive gone back onto cpf with a £1.3 million loan, a kirovets, a 399turbo a seeder and a fertilizer. Absolutely loving it
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

I must have different eyeballs than everyone because other than the sky, everything in 19 (vehicles/implements/environment) looks so much better to me that I cannot understand how anyone could say 17 looks better than 19.

I mean look at this video I made on 17:

Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

You know that Joskin transport box has a tip function, right?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Cokey wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:19 pm For me its the over- saturation of the pallettes that puts me off 19. Im a lorry driver irl who visits farms daily and ive never seen luminous green grass anywhere. Ive gone back onto cpf with a £1.3 million loan, a kirovets, a 399turbo a seeder and a fertilizer. Absolutely loving it
Come to the midwest. Beautiful green grass everywhere this time of year.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:54 pm Still don't know what all the lighting problems are everyone complains about.
The lighting is way too bright and harsh so 2D textures (basically all environment textures) look incredibly flat. On top of that everything has a washed out look to it. Its just not a nice look.The lighting of FS17 was much softer, which resulted in the environment looking far more pleasing to the eye.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

MrSquealypig wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm I must have different eyeballs than everyone because other than the sky, everything in 19 (vehicles/implements/environment) looks so much better to me that I cannot understand how anyone could say 17 looks better than 19.
I'm with you. The sky needs work. On 17, all the tractors look like plastic toys, whereas 19 they look more realistic. Also why isn't this thread on the 17 section?
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

17 looked good for it's time, imo, but it's way too washed out for me now. Maybe it's because of 19, I don't know. But I just couldn't get into it again.

@MrSquealypig: That's definitely an interesting way to dump your load!
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

MrSquealypig wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm I must have different eyeballs than everyone because other than the sky, everything in 19 (vehicles/implements/environment) looks so much better to me that I cannot understand how anyone could say 17 looks better than 19.
I don't think anyone minds most of the new technology in the game, just that it's implementation wasn't great. It doesn't look at all natural.

The palette is way off, the game manages to crush both shadows and highlights and how light something looks depends entirely on which direction you're facing - granted that goes for real life too, but in the game it's way over the top to the point it makes even fields look like dusk when you turn around, even in the middle of the day when the sun is high in the sky. That light shift wouldn't be so bad if it was toned down and limited to first person only mode, but it has no place in third person mode.

I've often said it's got a graphics feel of a post-apocalyptic such as Fallout, not something a simulator should have. It's like the developers went "wow these features look amazing" but desperately wanted to show them off for the sake of it so they're all turned up to 11 rather than designed to compliment each other and the environment.

The shadow disco on vehicles and objects at any speed above 1x (and even at 1x) is poor too. I couldn't believe someone at GIANTS signed that off. I've had to turn shadows off.

I know FS19 felt rushed (from the outside at least) but it's like devs or team leaders weren't talking to each other or listening to QA and other staff so the graphics in the end ended up a poorly balanced mish-mash.

CowsGoMoo wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:54 pm Still don't know what all the lighting problems are everyone complains about. I mean besides being too dark to see by 8 pm. It does get a bit too dark at night, but 17 was also way too light and some maps were made extra dark at night.
I don't think the night is too dark, more that the night is too dark all the time. Nights often are very dark (especially in the countryside away from towns) but your eyes can compensate better than they do with a TV or monitor in a usually bright room. That said, there are plenty of nights with a decent moon when you could comfortably walk about in the countryside without barely needing a torch, and the game doesn't show them.

The transition between day and night could do with being longer and smoother in the next game though.